Sign in to follow this  
bzane

Giants Hire 19th Choice, Mike Shula, As OC/ QB Coach

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Long live the retreads

I 100% read that word wrong and I burst out laughing. I'll leave to your imagination what I thought it said.

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

Long live the retreads. 

Well to be fair they did try to hire a billion other guys first but kept getting denied permission. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Long live the retreads. 

That's not nice. They preferred to be called mentally challenged.

Shurmur is calling the plays so maybe this'll work out.

But if it doesn't, I think it'd be cool for Eli Manning to be the first official player-coach!

Less-than-enthusiastic endorsement from beat writer on the Panthers' site, Catch Scratch Reader or Yer Darn Tootin', We Like Cam Newton!

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/2/13/17008386/ny-giants-hire-mike-shula-analysis-pat-shurmur-dave-gettleman

Aside from the 2015 season, Mike Shula’s time in Carolina was marred with disappointment. One of the biggest problems we had with him was he couldn’t adjust to what the other team was doing during the game. He also is terrible at situational play-calling and can get predictable at times. Panthers fans as a whole pretty much hate him at this point because his lack of play-calling ability hindered the offense so much. To be fair to him, every fan base hates their offensive coordinator and he got a lot of hate that he really didn’t deserve. Even when his play-calls were good, but didn’t work because of bad execution by the players, he still took the blame.

Basically, if the Giants are hiring him to call plays it’s a terrible idea. If they’re hiring him to consult with the play-caller and craft the offense, then it’s a good hire. Shula is creative, and he can make an offense work around the personnel he’s given... as long as you don’t let him manage the situational play calling duties.

Edited by bzane