Mock Offseason Version 1

Canadian Saint

So I know Worm had a thread, but I thought I'd give it a shot. It probably won't be as good as his, but let me know what you think.

Resigned:

QB Drew Brees , G Sino Kelemete

Key Free Agent Losses:

SS Kenny Vaccaro, DE Alex Okafor

Released:

DT Nick Fairley (I'm assuming Fleener is kept as his bonus has been paid)

Tendered:

WR Willie Snead, CB Delvin Breaux

So Brees is obvious, our franchise QB and face of this franchise. Kelemete is brought back primarily due to keep consistency on the line. I doubt he'll cost much, but he's proven and shown he can step in when called up. Now for the losses. I'm not all that keen in bringing back Okafor after his injury. Was he playing well? Absolutely, but Achilles injuries are a killer for players' explosiveness. Very few come back and regain their prior form. Vaccaro was a tough one, but I think it makes sense. He'll be sought after by teams lacking a SS, but with his inconsistency, and us having capable replacements, I'd rather give the reigns to Bell full time than have Vaccaro take up that cap space.

Free Agent Additions:

CB Malcolm Butler, WR Paul Richardson

So lets start with the obvious one. Malcolm Butler would really bring up our secondary to the next level. With us playing Nickel so much of the time, having Lattimore, Crawley and Butler out as our CBs. Add in Bell and Williams and we'd have a lock down secondary in place. Butler would improve our coverage when you consider we're replacing Vaccaro's coverage skills with Butler's. As long as you can have a contract around 4 years, or when Lattimore's rookie deal ends, I think we're golden. On Richardson, I think he was under utilized in Seattle. He's fast and agile, and runs great routes. He's also shown he has good hands and can catch in traffic. He got his first real chance this year and performed, even with Wilson running for his life most of the time. Add to that he has no real injury concerns and shouldn't demand a huge a contract. He'd be a nice secondary option behind Thomas along side Ginn and Snead.

2018 Draft:

Round 1: DE Harold Landry

Round 3: OLB Darius Leonard

Round 4: TE Troy Fumagalli

Round 5: DT BJ Hill

I took note of the Eagle's strategy here for the D-line and thought rotation, rotation, rotation. Landry gives us a pass rush presence off the edge. He has all the tools to be a consistent 10 sack guy, just needs refinement and to get healthy. McShay has had him mocked to us, and he's ranked mid 20s in most rankings, so its not wishful thinking on my part. Hill also gives us some depth at the NT position and his old D-line coach is our D-line coach. Gives us a deep and diverse D-line, and the ability to keep these big guys fresh. Leonard is a sleeper who might rise post combine. A SAM in a 4-3, he has the ability to play all 3 downs, again needs some refinement, but work with Nolan I think he'd develop into a star. Between him, Anzalone, Klein, Robertson and Te'o, we might field an above average LB corps. Fumagalli to me is a mix between our current TE's. He can both block and be a threat in the passing game.

So how bad did I do?

Richardson is going to get paid a lot from one of the team's that needs a WR. I don't like the loss of Okafor. He should come cheap since he is coming off of an injury and at worst he is good depth for us. I also don't want Butler. I think he is going to get overpaid and I don't want us sinking a ton of money on a declining player.

As for the draft, I like the positions you addressed, but I dont want the Saints taking ANYONE with size or injury concerns. If the injury concerns are minor like with Lattimore then sure, but we don't need half of our team on IR again.

Overall, solid job. 

2 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Richardson is going to get paid a lot from one of the team's that needs a WR. I don't like the loss of Okafor. He should come cheap since he is coming off of an injury and at worst he is good depth for us. I also don't want Butler. I think he is going to get overpaid and I don't want us sinking a ton of money on a declining player.

As for the draft, I like the positions you addressed, but I dont want the Saints taking ANYONE with size or injury concerns. If the injury concerns are minor like with Lattimore then sure, but we don't need half of our team on IR again.

Overall, solid job. 

Agreed, I see no reason to let Okafor walk. He should come cheap enough.

I will just use this thread, currently participating in a mock draft and really not sure how to handle our RFAs. Coleman, Breaux and Snead are all restricted free agents, a 2nd round tender would cost the Saints 2.9 million, which is a lot of money, who would you retain in my mock (and real life?)?

1 hour ago, MookieMonster said:

I'm telling y'all...you don't want Malcolm Butler. He was below average this year and he's getting up there in age. Now is not the time to hand him a big contract.

Sounds like my broken record. I didn't want him before, and I don't want him now.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Sounds like my broken record. I didn't want him before, and I don't want him now.

Seems like you and me Mid...are on the same page. I much rather continue the youth movement. At this point, I'd be inclined to look at FA for a LB that fits our defensive schemes. I'd also trade out of the first to top of second and stockpile more picks (that you can use to get back into the 2nd if you wanted). But, that's just me.

7 hours ago, whodatOL said:

I will just use this thread, currently participating in a mock draft and really not sure how to handle our RFAs. Coleman, Breaux and Snead are all restricted free agents, a 2nd round tender would cost the Saints 2.9 million, which is a lot of money, who would you retain in my mock (and real life?)?

TBH, I am not sure (still) how RFAs work. All I know is that all three of those are worth re-signing for depth purposes.

9 hours ago, whodatOL said:

Breaux. He's the only one of those 3 I would put a priority on retaining. 

On 2/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, jcvoodoo said:

If Breaux comes back 100%, he just may beat out Crawley for CB2. I may be joshin' here lol. Either way, it'll be excellent competition. And, if Breaux does get the CB2 job... I think that makes the secondary better.

IF Breaux stays healthy you mean.

16 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

IF Breaux stays healthy you mean.

How's it going guys... Sorry for the absence recently (work related) but back now. I like alot of whats in this post, were such a wildcard this year and with Brees stare'n down the gun barrel of 40 years old as a FA and the Saints clearly not wanting to handicap themselves to a aging quarterback I find it hard to believe that the Saints wouldnt take advantage of one of the better QB classes weve had in a few years. I dont think they would trade assets to move up but (hold on to your pitchforks) I could honestly see Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph being in play at 27 overall. Much of that will depend on what Payton truly feels about Tysom Hill who is a good story this past season but a good story is a far cry from being the heir. 

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

How's it going guys... Sorry for the absence recently (work related) but back now. I like alot of whats in this post, were such a wildcard this year and with Brees stare'n down the gun barrel of 40 years old as a FA and the Saints clearly not wanting to handicap themselves to a aging quarterback I find it hard to believe that the Saints wouldnt take advantage of one of the better QB classes weve had in a few years. I dont think they would trade assets to move up but (hold on to your pitchforks) I could honestly see Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph being in play at 27 overall. Much of that will depend on what Payton truly feels about Tysom Hill who is a good story this past season but a good story is a far cry from being the heir. 

I've gone and looked at a bunch of Taysom Hill vids and I don't see anything in him that says "future of the Saints franchise". Not a thing. Granted I work in IT and not the NFL.

Archived