Mount Rushmore of the Divisions

BleedTheClock

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Emmitt was the most important Trio member IMO.

I would argue that he was the least important member. He benefited from an incredible offensive line. He was a good running back, but not the best Triplet.

12 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

AFC NORTH:

Pittsburgh - Mean Joe Green

Cleveland - Jim Brown

Cincinnati - Anthony Munoz

Baltimore - Ray Lewis

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

This is perfect.  Each team repped by their best all-time player

All have arguments as best all time at their respective positions, as well. Otto Graham is an alternative for the Browns, one of the Rooneys for the Steelers, and Ogden for the Ravens. I think I would lean toward the list above though also.

14 hours ago, titans0021 said:

AFC South:

QB Peyton Manning (Colts)

QB: Johnny Unitas (Colts)

OL: Bruce Matthews (Houston/Titans)

This is tough. As a Titans fan I want to say McNair, I could make an argument for Andre Johnson or Tony Boselli (long-time faces of the organizations). Marvin Harrison is an option. I'll go with McNair because hey, it's a Mount Rushmore, not a list of the four best players in the history of the division.

I'd have Campbell in there at 3 and have Matthews duking it out with the others that you had mentioned. And the homer in me says Watt should at least be considered in the group. He certainly doesn't have the longevity but he's also already accomplished more than all of them.

1 hour ago, Woz said:
1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Emmitt was the most important Trio member IMO.

I would argue that he was the least important member. He benefited from an incredible offensive line. He was a good running back, but not the best Triplet.

And the rest of the offense didnt benefit from that same line? If we are comparing two players with different surrounding personnel that argument may fly, but not in this. He lead the league in rushing 4 times in his career and had 2007 carries between 90 and 95. Aikman ATTEMPTED 2430 passes in that span. They clearly relied much more heavily on Smith and the run game. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

And the rest of the offense didnt benefit from that same line? If we are comparing two players with different surrounding personnel that argument may fly, but not in this. He lead the league in rushing 4 times in his career and had 2007 carries between 90 and 95. Aikman ATTEMPTED 2430 passes in that span. They clearly relied much more heavily on Smith and the run game. 

Relied on more? Sure, because when they were ahead they just pounded the ball with Emmitt.

We can agree to disagree.

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

AFC West is genionely tough to narrow it down to 4 because there are a lot of guys with legitimate cases and you end up having to split a lot of hairs.

LT and Marcus Allen both have strong cases.

Elway and Fouts are probably the only real cases for QB's (sorry Plunkett), and realitistically I'm not sure either one really is that much of a standout the way that other guys were STANDOUTs at their respective positions.

IMHO, Derrick Thomas has to be on there.  And there's cases for a number of other defenders (Alzado - who you almost have to give a leg up on others to because of what he accomplished with both the Broncos and the Raiders), Grandishar, Seau, Long, and Culp.

Basically, two spots need to go to Thomas and Al Davis and the other two are up for a tooth-and-nail debate.

Elway is not a slam dunk purely from a QB standpoint, but combine that with his work as GM and being a part of all three Broncos championships and he definitely belongs there.

Elway, Al Davis, Derrick Thomas and LT would be my Rushmore. 

NFC West: 

Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Steve Young 
Ronnie Lott

I'm trying not to be a homer here, but...the only other guys I can really think of competing would be Marshall Faulk, Deacon Jones, Steve Largent, Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, and Aeneas Williams...(Eric Dickerson only played 5 seasons, albeit excellent ones, in the division). 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

NFC West: 

Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Steve Young 
Ronnie Lott

I'm trying not to be a homer here, but...the only other guys I can really think of competing would be Marshall Faulk, Deacon Jones, Steve Largent, Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, and Aeneas Williams...(Eric Dickerson only played 5 seasons, albeit excellent ones, in the division). 

I was going to put the similar, but I didn't want to make all 4 49ers. I Think Montana / Rice / Young have to be locks. But I can see a valid case for Jones, Faulk, Pace, Warner and don't forget Walter Jones (who may very well be my pick), and Torry Holt. I think Williams is out because he just doesn't cast a shadow as large as Lotts and they both played in the secondary, with Lott even spending time at corner (albeit in a different era). 

On 7/30/2017 at 10:13 PM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

NFC North

Vince Lombardi (Green Bay)

George Halas (Chicago)

Alan Page (Minnesota)

Bobby Layne (Detroit)

Fair enough, but I'd put Barry Sanders over Bobby Layne.  Everyone else I can agree with, although I prefer players to be representative of the organizations over Coaches/Owners.  If you use players, I would say Bart Starr for the Packers and **** Butkus for the Bears.  

23 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

NFC West: 

Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Steve Young 
Ronnie Lott

I'd personally put Deacon Jones in over Young or Lott.  

On 7/31/2017 at 2:33 PM, malak1 said:

NFCN

George Halas

Vince Lombardi

Walter Payton

Curly Lambeau

**Sorry Lions and Vikings fans**

It's ok. If it wasn't for Halas Minnesota may have gone to the AFC or had to wait even longer to get a franchise. I guess the there are a couple Packer people there but they did nothing to help with Minnesota getting a franchise so forget them man!! Also not really a division with just 2 teams.

Archived