Mount Rushmore of the Divisions

BleedTheClock

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I'd personally put Deacon Jones in over Young or Lott.  

I think you could definitely make a great argument for that. Especially Young (since another QB is already on the list). I would have a hard time saying yes over Lott, though. Lott is in contention for best ever at his position, might be in the conversation for best defensive player ever, had more Pro Bowls, more All-Pros, and was the leader of a defense that helped win 4 Super Bowls. 

It's nothing against Jones at all. He's an excellent player. And if I pick one player from each team, Deacon Jones might be the choice for the Rams. 

Drew Brees

Steve Smith (Cam has a shot at unseating him)

Deion Sanders (Julio Jones in a couple years, but he needs to finish his career with the Falcons first)

Derrick Brooks (Winston if his trajectory continues)

On 7/31/2017 at 0:22 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Elway is not a slam dunk purely from a QB standpoint, but combine that with his work as GM and being a part of all three Broncos championships and he definitely belongs there.

He's not only the best QB in the history of the AFCW but he's an all-time top-5 QB. You might be too young to remember but those Broncos teams in the 1980s that went to 3 Super Bowls, Elway was the closest thing to a one-man show the league has seen in the Super Bowl era. Without Elway, those '80s, especially '87-'89, Broncos teams would have been lucky to sniff 4 wins. However, even if you (or anyone) want to underrate Elway as a player his role with the Broncos as both a player and now executive, clinch him a spot on the list. 

That said, my AFCW Mount Rushmore is: 

• John Elway
  • Al Davis
  • Derrick Thomas
  • Tony Gonzalez

After the first three there is much room for debate. Lamar Hunt was instrumental (along with Al Davis) in making the modern NFL. Don Coryell's offenses changed the way the game was played. Dan Fouts was the original gunslinger QB. Tomlinson is the premier RB of the modern era. Really there are a litany of players from all the teams, including the Seahawks (who were in the AFCW until 2001 and boast Hall of Fame players like Steve Largent and Cortez Kennedy). That said, for the final spot I picked Tony Gonzalez because (sorry Gronk) he is the best TE I have ever seen play. 

Archived