Brent Celek to Retire?

Hockey5djh

Brent Celek's body has taken a pounding over 11 years with the Eagles. Now that he has a ring, there's a thinking that he will retire.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-five-biggest-offseason-needs-2018/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4269/brent-celek

A blocking tight end behind Zach Ertz, Celek played 40.5 percent of the Eagles' 2017 offensive snaps. Philadelphia is currently projected to be over the 2018 salary cap and could use the cap savings if Celek moves on, which would free up $4 million. 33-year-old Celek has spent his full 11-year career in Philly.

I know this report is hardly solid but I can't think of a better way for Celek to go out except to retire as a champion.

He's still on the hook for 5 million this season if he wants to keep going but with our lack of cap space I think the Eagles would love for him to hang them up. Per Rotoworld we would save 4 mil of that if he retires.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Would love if he’s gonna hang it up for him to retire while he’s still here. Cap savings would really help...but don’t want to see him in another jersey 

Yeah, I don't want to have to cut him. That would suck donkey balls.

We're talking about a $5M  lottery ticket here. Do you throw that away by retiring? Or force the FO to cut you changing the numbers?

I personally make them cut me. It's his last Payday.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

We're talking about a $5M  lottery ticket here. Do you throw that away by retiring? Or force the FO to cut you changing the numbers?

I personally make them cut me. It's his last Payday.

I'm saying if he does want to retire that would be best. I never said he has to do that.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm saying if he does want to retire that would be best. I never said he has to do that.

I understand that but think it's wishful thinking on fans part. Why retire instead of potentially collecting another $5m? That's all.

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I understand that but think it's wishful thinking on fans part. Why retire instead of potentially collecting another $5m? That's all.

Cause he's likely never seeing that 5 million. His body has taken a toll. He just achieved the ultimate goal in the sport. 

Brent is a guy that has only played for the Eagles. I don't think he's gonna play for another team and when Howie sits down with him he'll likely decide its best for him to retire.

Would be the ideal situation.  He's going to be cut. Might as well hang them up here. I'm sure they'll give him the option once the decision is made. I honestly don't know any player to play his entire career as an Eagle, outside of scrubs. And I really don't think he'll have interest from other teams. Veteran minimum to be a blocking TE? I doubt Brent wants to do that in a new city. He has businesses here with Herremans. He'll be a lifelong Philly guy. Pretty cool. 

Archived