Greatest RBs of all time

Rtnldave

37 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I will honestly never understand the Sanders love. The most negative yards in NFL history and yet was electrifying.

Not saying he isn't top 5. But...if I am building a team, he isn't the runner I go for.

I've always heard he had terrible offensive lines. Could that have played a role? I didn't pay attention to anything other than Dallas back in those days....

2 minutes ago, ware94 said:

I've always heard he had terrible offensive lines. Could that have played a role? I didn't pay attention to anything other than Dallas back in those days....

No they weren't terrible. People who tell you that want to build up his legend. Glover and Brown were two damn good lineman. Brown made multiple probowls in his time. And the line had been made up of Vets for most of his career not to mention he wasn't dealing with new linemen every spring. They generally were pretty consistent in that regard. 

I wouldn't say his line was great. But it was good.

8 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I will honestly never understand the Sanders love. The most negative yards in NFL history and yet was electrifying.

Not saying he isn't top 5. But...if I am building a team, he isn't the runner I go for.

If I’m building a team and need a RB, I’m taking Jim Brown every time. And if you want to get technical, he was a FB, so I’d take Brown and then Barry Sanders. Negative yards or not, he’d be the perfect complement to Brown.

If those two are unavailable, then give me Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker.

1- Jim Brown - just nobody better imo. Way ahead of his time size/speed wise
2 - Sanders -  avg. 1500 yd/season ain't no lie
3 - Emmitt - Not far behind Sanders

I'll agree with plan, partially anyway. Bo Jackson would have killed it had he dedicated himself solely to football. If every RB were completely healthy, I'd take Jackson over all of them 

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

If I’m building a team and need a RB, I’m taking Jim Brown every time. And if you want to get technical, he was a FB, so I’d take Brown and then Barry Sanders. Negative yards or not, he’d be the perfect complement to Brown.

If those two are unavailable, then give me Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker.

If im drafting one of these guys it would be Earl Campbell followed by Brown then Ricky Williams then maybe Barry Sanders if I wanna go that smaller quicker route. 

But Earl would kill in this scheme. 

WOW!!!! Not ONE Emmitt fan for GOAT!

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised.

I get all of the variables involved in choosing a RB to be the GOAT, but Smith played every single facet of the position to perfection. That includes blocking/ picking up the blitz, catching out of the backfield, making something out of nothing, reading his blocks, being patient and finding the crease, setting up his blockers with his misdirection, etc.

He WAS the spark plug of that offense that spawned a dynasty. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

I get J. Brown being ahead of his time, but he also played against some pretty mediocre defenses compared to the talent level Smith had to face in his day and age. Back then most football players had off season jobs and they were ONLY professional football players because of their size, stature and athletic ability. None of which was developed to the level of the players seen today.

Brown was simply ahead of his time. Now, would he be equally as great against the defenses Smith faced??? Possibly, but I suspect his career would have been much shorter.

Sanders, better open field runner with break away speed. Just a bit more elusive, but NOT the back I would want protecting my QB in an all out blitz. 

Emmitt did it all, and he did it very well. The guy just wins. That what he does. He went to DWTS and won that!

So, say what you all like, but I have to put Smith #1.

I would put him up there in top 5, but I have to stay with Emmitt as #1. Beyond that you could argue any of J. Brown, W. Payton, B. Sanders, etc as #2. But Smith has the rushing title, he was a SB MVP, He led the league in rushing 4 years, he was league MVP 1 year I believe, he has the most rushing TD's of any RB. 

I mean, was ALL of this due to the team he played for??? Or was the team he played for successful BECAUSE of all of this?

Archived