Better Player? Barry Sanders or Randy Moss

mdonnelly21

51 members have voted

1. 1. Better Player At Their Respective Position

• Randy Moss
    • Barry Sanders

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Barry. While he didn't have the longevity that Moss did, he was never a diva that quit on his team and was head and shoulders above every other back in the league at the time. 

While I loved Barry too, I don't think it's fair to say he was "head and shoulders above" Emmitt Smith.  Back in their day, they were pretty close.  Sanders was better, IMHO, but they were both very productive.

Similarly, Moss was the best receiver, but he also had a contemporary in TO who was also a dominant receiver. 

The thing that makes a Moss vs. Sanders comparison interesting is that both of them were able to do things from a physical standpoint that we had never seen before, and probably won't ever see again in our lifetimes.  This is a tough call because I love both of them as players.  I guess I'll just go the homer route and pick Moss.

I was going to quickly answer this poll but simply couldn't bring myself to do that. It's insanely tough to pick one. I think I'm going with Moss though. That combination of size and speed was off the charts.

...but then again, there will likely never be someone as elusive as Barry Sanders was.

Damn.

I have to go with Randy Moss here, and for me it's not close.  I grew up watching football in Barry's era and honestly I'm a firm believer that Barry Sanders, while incredible, has his legend has been severely overhyped by things like people saying his offensive line being terrible.  

Barry Sanders having a bad OL is still the biggest widespread myth in the last few decades of the NFL.  People would counter this by posting videos of Barry's highlights and watching him embarass defenders.  You're falling into the highlight reel trap.  It looks like his OL was terrible because he would always dance back when he didn't spot a hole.  There will always be individuals that will compare his OL to what Emmitt had and admittedly, most OL's would look bad when compared to the Great Wall of Dallas... but they were far from bad.   The QB/lack thereof was the problem on offense in the 90s. I'm not going to type them all out but in 1993 he had: Lomas Brown (7x probowl & 1 first team all-pro) , Kevin Glover, etc.

He was absolutely amazing and that shouldn't be ignored, but Randy Moss is the choice in this debate.

19 hours ago, Super4 said:

I have to go with Randy Moss here, and for me it's not close.  I grew up watching football in Barry's era and honestly I'm a firm believer that Barry Sanders, while incredible, has his legend has been severely overhyped by things like people saying his offensive line being terrible.  

Barry Sanders having a bad OL is still the biggest widespread myth in the last few decades of the NFL.  People would counter this by posting videos of Barry's highlights and watching him embarass defenders.  You're falling into the highlight reel trap.  It looks like his OL was terrible because he would always dance back when he didn't spot a hole.  There will always be individuals that will compare his OL to what Emmitt had and admittedly, most OL's would look bad when compared to the Great Wall of Dallas... but they were far from bad.   The QB/lack thereof was the problem on offense in the 90s. I'm not going to type them all out but in 1993 he had: Lomas Brown (7x probowl & 1 first team all-pro) , Kevin Glover, etc.

He was absolutely amazing and that shouldn't be ignored, but Randy Moss is the choice in this debate.

Yeah but you have to take into account who was throwing the ball and receiving it. I don't recall any offensive player on that team that could stretch the field. 

23 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm a guy that thinks Moss may be the GOAT WR. But I went with Sanders.

He worked with less his entire career and still did what he did. Moss did great things, but he also had some good QBs throwing him the ball, except in Oakland.

This pretty much. Randy was incredible but Barry was great no matter how bad it got

On 2/14/2018 at 9:15 PM, Super4 said:

"Etc?" What do you mean "etc?" You literally just named the only lineman he ever played with that was consistently healthy and actually good. Then you named a consistent and somewhat above average Glover. That's it. There really is no "etc."

I am not falling for the highlight hype. I grew up watching football before Sanders era. And Sanders was set up to fail from the first snap of his career to the last. His line was, at its very best, average. And that was a rarity. The QBs he shared the backfield with were never able to open things up for him (Scott Mitchell was a bum). He didn't even play with a fullback most of the time. So he had no lead blocker. 

I am giving this one to Sanders. When it comes to physical talents, I say theyre equal. When it comes to performance, Sanders did more with less. We all saw what happened to Moss when he was put in Sanders position in Oakland.

Archived