Calvin Johnson vs Antonio Brown vs Julio Jones

patriotsheatyan

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Sadly Brown is probably 2 inches in height away from being viewed as the best receiver more consistently (no other changes, even in production).

If any 6'+ WR had Antonio's last 5 years there would never be any discussion on who is the best WR in the league currently. It would be JJ Watt type discussion where it doesn't even need to be brought up.

Like Julio Jones only has 5 more touchdowns than Odell despite playing in 50 more games thus far, but people still compare him to Brown who is a better receiver than Odell.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, Danger said:

Antonio Brown has been most consistently the dominant.
Calvin Johnson is the most athletic freak I've ever seen, and had almost 2k in a season.
Julio Jones makes some of the most ridiculous catches around.

All of them usually put up pretty ample yardage but
Calvin had some seasons where he didn't get many TDs, and only played 9 seasons.
Julio Jones has only had 10 TDs one time in his career.
Antonio Brown is the most consistent but not physically dominant.

What does this mean, and why does it matter?

Just now, TXsteeler said:

What does this mean, and why does it matter?

He's not an athletic freak. Doesn't make freak jumping catches in the mold of Julio Jones/Dez Bryant/Alshon Jeffery, but he doesn't need to, not at all. I've already been on record as saying that I believe if Antonio Brown plays into his late 30's that he will be regarded as the 2nd best receiver of all time when he's done.

It's super flashy. But sometimes if he needs to up and grab the ball out of the air in a contested catch, he's going to have a much harder time and less success at doing so than the previously mentioned guys. It's not often that you need those plays, but it's not his strongsuit. And those usually make more the best "clutch" moments and highlight plays so it certainly detracts from his level of entertainment and respect from casual fans. There are times where its going to be a con for him, but not often.

It's moreso just an asset that he doesn't have that the other two in this thread do.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

He's not an athletic freak. Doesn't make freak jumping catches in the mold of Julio Jones/Dez Bryant/Alshon Jeffery, but he doesn't need to, not at all. I've already been on record as saying that I believe if Antonio Brown plays into his late 30's that he will be regarded as the 2nd best receiver of all time when he's done.

It's super flashy. But sometimes if he needs to up and grab the ball out of the air in a contested catch, he's going to have a much harder time and less success at doing so than the previously mentioned guys. It's not often that you need those plays, but it's not his strongsuit. And those usually make more the best "clutch" moments and highlight plays so it certainly detracts from his level of entertainment and respect from casual fans. There are times where its going to be a con for him, but not often.

It's moreso just an asset that he doesn't have that the other two in this thread do.

Yeah but you list a pro for all three receivers, then you list a con for both CJ and JJ, but then you just say AB "isn't physically dominant" as if it's a con before then stating that it basically isn't. Like I get that AB would get more jump balls if he was 6 inches taller, but when comparing Jones to him favorably, people's only arguments are 1. AB is smaller, and 2. Big Ben. And sure, the QB situation is at least relevant if not completely accurate, ABs size is not even worth mentioning because it doesn't hold him back.

Archived