Daniel Kilgore re-signed

NcFinest9erFan

Honestly, the only thing that would bug me about this is if it prohibits us from drafting a guy like Price / Daniels / etc who could be an immediate upgrade at Center. I'm not too put off by eschewing the free agent market for Kilgore. Jensen from Balt was pretty solid this year, but it was his first year starting (and he's beenin the league several years), and while he would have been an improvement, he largely just seems to be the best of a bad crop. The feeling I've gotten about him from Ravens fans is that he's largely serviceable to above average. Add to that the fact that he's going to be paid quite a bit given the weak center market (and several teams like the Jets, Bills, Bengals needing a center), he's probably in line for a good contract. Richburg would be a no brainer, particularly for this scheme, but dude can't stay healthy in the least. That would be a gamble. 

I can't evaluate o-line play worth a damn. So what do I know? It looked to me like his play this year varied from bad to OK at best. I've read that he was one of the lower rated centers in the league. But our FO must see something in him. Fine. Now just go draft Nelson or sign Norwell or Pugh. Bring back a healthy Brown and hope that Garnett has transformed himself like we've read that he has and maybe all will be well.

17 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I can't evaluate o-line play worth a damn. So what do I know? It looked to me like his play this year varied from bad to OK at best. I've read that he was one of the lower rated centers in the league. But our FO must see something in him. Fine. Now just go draft Nelson or sign Norwell or Pugh. Bring back a healthy Brown and hope that Garnett has transformed himself like we've read that he has and maybe all will be well.

That's basically how I have seen him, so I'd say that's pretty accurate. He did perform better down the stretch..now, you can attibute that to getting more comfortable in the scheme, but I largely think it's due to the quality of opponents. He's been on of the lower rated centers on PFF (which okay, isn't really saying anything) for pretty much his entire career. But for all i know, he could be extremely good at making the line calls and things like that which we don't really see. 

He appears to be really well liked in the locker room and judging by all the praise he is getting he has a good understanding of the game. He isn't really the overpowering C that creates a hole by himself but if he can be the brains of the O-line and get him surrounded by four quality O-lineman i am fine with him. I can't remember him botching snaps and such either.

Jimmy GQ seems to really like Kilgore.  I wonder how much of Jimmy's endorsements weighed in on this deal. 

In any case, it's not horrible, but we definitely could upgrade that position.  Maybe with some competent guards, Kilgore will look much better.  

55 minutes ago, struby3 said:

According to PFF, he was a top 10 center in the games in which Jimmy played. I'm pretty meh on this resigning. Would still like to add a developmental guy behind him. Maybe that is Magnuson. Maybe it is a mid-rounder. Who knows.

Its pretty amazing what Jimmy G did for the offensive line. Laken Tomlinson actually ended up rated an "average" guard for the year by the end of the season, same for Fusco. 

Archived