Absolute value of 2018 NFL Draft Prospects

NudeTayne

What is the overall quality of this draft class?   

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is the overall quality of this draft class?

• Average. There are roughly 32 players that match the value in each round.
    • Strong. Though it's not a heavyweight at the top, there's are many starters to be found.
    • Ugh. This draft class is the worst. Dorsey is going to stubbornly draft a bunch of "football players".

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Starters? Agreed.  But I don’t see a Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey, etc type of “blue chip” prospect.

Yep. I guess I'm actually agreeing with the larger point that while the top 10 (outside of QB) is weaker than normal, the draft overall is about average. And some positions (I'd argue for QB, CB, RB, OG, and maybe LB) are actually deeper than normal. The main reason I'm not on the Saquon bandwagon isn't because I think he's bad, but because I think the #2/3 guys in the class (Jones and Guice) are so good. I'd rather (hypothetical) move down to Buff's two firsts + and get Guice and an OT, CB, etc. than only get Barkley.

The draft's strength is in the late 1st to late 3rd IMO.

14 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Time will tell. If a bunch of Oline and Dline go in the 1st then you know it is a bad draft. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I'm not sure if you mean guards and defensive tackles, but defensive ends and offensive tackles almost always get over drafted. 

42 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm not sure if you mean guards and defensive tackles, but defensive ends and offensive tackles almost always get over drafted. 

In bad drafts, you see a big number of tackles, guards, centers, nose tackles, Dlinemen being picks instead of the other positions. Go look at historically bad draft classes. You'll notice a lot of linemen being picked.

(Not counting Dline)

Look at 2013 draft (a terrible draft class in recent history) - about 5 olinemen picked in the top 10. 2 tackles went 1 and 2 overall. 

VS

2011 draft (a really good one.) - 1 olineman was pick in the top 10. 

Point I'm trying to make is in bad draft classes, GM go with the safety picks that are linemen instead of wasting a top 10 on a skilled position. 

Besides maybe Nelson, how many OTs and OGs do you think will go top 10 this year? 

This year I can see all 4 QBs being drafted in the top 4 (2 by trades), Barkley, Chubb, Fitz, R Smith, perhaps D James all being picked top 10. There are skilled rookies in this draft class. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But I don’t see a Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey, etc type of “blue chip” prospect.

That's because they are not there.

That's why I keep saying get our QBOTF, trade down from 4 for some this/next year picks, use the rest of our picks to trade up and/or for futures, get 4-5 good prospects and walk away from this draft .

Archived