OFFICIAL Training camp thread

Thelonebillsfan

Alright you guys it's that magical time of the year again, camp started and I didn't get the thread up in time like I usually do and I apologize for that! I'll be updating this OP periodically with position battles, stories from camp, interesting anecdotes and any informative or in depth posts will also be added.

It's FOOTBALL time baby.

Hoping you don't feel like I stepped on your toes, but this seemed like the best place to post this:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/01/buffalo-bills-training-camp-logan-thomas-charles-clay/

This is what I was expecting to see from Thomas - never had confidence in his QB ability - if he was ever to make an NFL team. Logan played TE in HS and some in college as well. Athletically, he could be a serious weapon if he can learn the nuances of the position.

On a side note, for those of you hoping it was Tyrod connecting down the MIDDLE...sorry, that's Peterman (#2) throwing the ball!

I've done really poorly at reading up on OTAs and training camp, I'm gonna try and start following it more closely. I'm really optimistic about the current team and the people we have in place, hopefully some of that optimism actually comes to fruition.

Shaq Lawson sounds like he is doing really well in training camp thus far. Hopefully with his injury fully healed and a change in system he can have a big impact. We need Hughes and Lawson to perform up to their potential to turn this defense around. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Shaq Lawson sounds like he is doing really well in training camp thus far. Hopefully with his injury fully healed and a change in system he can have a big impact. We need Hughes and Lawson to perform up to their potential to turn this defense around. 

Our defense has me soooo scared to start the season. Our linebackers and secondary are sketchy to say the least, hopefully I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Our defense has me soooo scared to start the season. Our linebackers and secondary are sketchy to say the least, hopefully I'm wrong.

Im not worried one bit. Secondary is rebuilt but full of young great talent. Darby and Tredavious can be huge for year to come. White has looked excellent in camp. He just doesnt make mistakes. And neither does Hyde who should be a leader in the secondary. Think Wright will be a solid addition to add experience at CB with young guys lile Young and White.

Whats your issue with the Linebackers... we have a lot of quality back there... and depth.

Ragland, Brown, Alexander, Hodges, and Humber can all potentiallt start. Then we have the two rookies who has earned some nice praise. But i think Hodges will turn out to be the best addition for this team. He eas a huge under the radar get

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Im not worried one bit. Secondary is rebuilt but full of young great talent. Darby and Tredavious can be huge for year to come. White has looked excellent in camp. He just doesnt make mistakes. And neither does Hyde who should be a leader in the secondary. Think Wright will be a solid addition to add experience at CB with young guys lile Young and White.

Whats your issue with the Linebackers... we have a lot of quality back there... and depth.

Ragland, Brown, Alexander, Hodges, and Humber can all potentiallt start. Then we have the two rookies who has earned some nice praise. But i think Hodges will turn out to be the best addition for this team. He eas a huge under the radar get

Yeah... if everything goes perfectly right sure, big if though. I'm never going to count on a rookie corner, it'd be nice for sure but they take time to adjust. 

15 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yeah... if everything goes perfectly right sure, big if though. I'm never going to count on a rookie corner, it'd be nice for sure but they take time to adjust. 

I honestly don't think it can be any worse than last season. Whether there will be much of an improvement is a whole different matter. The defensive line needs to dictate the play and allow for the linebackers and secondary to come along. It wouldn't surprise me if our defense has a similar year to Carolina's last year and starts off pretty poor but comes together as the year goes on.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:35 AM, LeeEvans said:

I honestly don't think it can be any worse than last season. Whether there will be much of an improvement is a whole different matter. The defensive line needs to dictate the play and allow for the linebackers and secondary to come along. It wouldn't surprise me if our defense has a similar year to Carolina's last year and starts off pretty poor but comes together as the year goes on.

I think that simply because the D fits better with the personnel we have, there will be improvement. It already sounds like our DL has had their way with the OL. Hopefully that's a sign of props for our DL and not proof of regression from the OL. My main concerns so for on D are that Brown is beating out Ragland, given that Brown hasn't been able to cover anyone over the last 2 seasons, and our continued lack of quality depth at safety. One injury back there and it could get very, very ugly.

1 minute ago, Yibbyl said:

I think that simply because the D fits better with the personnel we have, there will be improvement. It already sounds like our DL has had their way with the OL. Hopefully that's a sign of props for our DL and not proof of regression from the OL. My main concerns so for on D are that Brown is beating out Ragland, given that Brown hasn't been able to cover anyone over the last 2 seasons, and our continued lack of quality depth at safety. One injury back there and it could get very, very ugly.

I definitely don't have anymore faith in our secondary than last year but that is simply because it's unknown at this stage. I think the secondary is going to take time to come together and the first half of the season could be rough back there. I'm really hoping Darby can get back to playing at his rookie year level because it's dangerous to expect a rookie CB to come in and start from day one.  I don't really have any problem with Brown winning because Ragland has done absolutely nothing so far so I don't think it's a sure thing that he's an upgrade or even as good as our starter the last three seasons or so. Ragland is also really weak in coverage so I don't know how much of an upgrade he could be there. 

I also have a poor feeling about our secondary this year. Tre' White will probably ball out based on what I've heard of him so far. Don't have much confident in our safety group outside Micah Hyde. Let's hope Darby bounces back and our defense can get a lot of pressure on the QB.

4 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

I also have a poor feeling about our secondary this year. Tre' White will probably ball out based on what I've heard of him so far. Don't have much confident in our safety group outside Micah Hyde. Let's hope Darby bounces back and our defense can get a lot of pressure on the QB.

I feel like if you're relying on Micah Hyde to be anything more than a solid DB, you're getting your hopes up.  He'll play assignment-smart football but he's not going to be a big playmaker.

Archived