Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

Just now, valkrei said:

if you owned a business.  Are you in business to make money?  Because upsetting a large percentage of your fan base is not profitable and makes 0 sense.

This is what a lot of people just fail to understand.  They're not NOT signing these players because they hate their activism (except maybe a couple teams).  They're not signing them because they're trying to make money, and it's never a good business practice to piss off half your customers. 

2 minutes ago, valkrei said:

if you owned a business.  Are you in business to make money?  Because upsetting a large percentage of your fan base is not profitable and makes 0 sense.

You don't think AA and minorities make up a huge part of the NFL fanbase? Blackballing a good player because he protested against systemic inequality would piss a lot of those people off.

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

You don't think AA and minorities make up a huge part of the NFL fanbase? Blackballing a good player because he protested against systemic inequality would piss a lot of those people off.

You also have to assume that is what is happening.  Unless an owner actually says that is why I am not interested.  In that case the owner made a choice and he has to live with the consequences but that is his right as an owner.  If I am trying to make money I avoid as many politics as I possibly can.  

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

People act like Reid is Kaepernick. I wonder if half the casual football fanbase knows about Reid's activism. 

Even with Kap, the fact that he can’t even get in for a work out with teams is insane to me. 

57 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is what a lot of people just fail to understand.  They're not NOT signing these players because they hate their activism (except maybe a couple teams).  They're not signing them because they're trying to make money, and it's never a good business practice to piss off half your customers. 

The majority of the people upset by the protests have no idea who Eric Reid is.

P.S. The NFL still saw revenues increase last year despite the protests, so maybe listening to the vocal minority ain't so smart.

I'm not 100% that Reid's situation is because of the activism. This has honestly just been a really dead market so far for all FA safeties. Reid, Branch, Burnett, Boston, etc., have all gone pretty much untouched. The only safeties that have been signed have been cuts (Mathieu and Coleman), resignings (Joyner and McDougald), and then Marcus Gilchrist who got a 1 year deal yesterday. I think the market just isn't putting high value on the position right now. I do think him now talking about the activism will probably hurt him, but it isn't like other safeties on his level have been signing block buster deals immediately or anything.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah the hip is why I’d only do a 1-year prove-it deal.  Just not a lot out there to upgrade C.  Always the draft too just that if the C is the play caller for line blocking that takes longer than G to learn.  

Yeah, this would the best for both parties. Chargers don't lock up a potentially declining player and Pouncey get one shot to prove he can still play at a high level and get one final big pay day next off-season. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Unless you can prove to me that the activism is ACTUALLY hurting the business then I don’t want to hear it. 

1 hour ago, valkrei said:

Just like I can't go on social media and rep the company I work for or I get fired and and sued if I caused enough damage.  Anything political in the slightest I have to literally ask for permission to do so.  Like it not an employees actions on or off the field can hurt the brand.

The amount of people turned off by the protests and actually afffcting the bottom line is minuscule. It’s a small minority. These owners are risk adverse and assuming that it will hurt them because of their risk appetite.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

If they think that this guy shouldn’t get signed because of his activism then heck yes, screw them.

People on this forum aren’t learning from Reid’s mistakes...there is a time and place for everything (talking politics anywhere else but on this forum).

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Unless you can prove to me that the activism is ACTUALLY hurting the business then I don’t want to hear it. 

Unless you can prove to me that the activism isn't ACTUALLY hurting the business, I don't want to hear it. 

Archived