Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

TBH I think that's the most likely conclusion.   Everyone has NE making the Cooks trade as a deal to move up for QB - I think they were just following the NE blueprint to sell a year early, for a guy they weren't going to commit big FA $ to.    The NE way.   Independent of a big move for QB.

I think it's far more likely the Patriots' QBOTF is coming in that Kyle Lauletta/Mason Rudolph tier than it is of them trading up.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think it's far more likely the Patriots' QBOTF is coming in that Kyle Lauletta/Mason Rudolph tier than it is of them trading up.

Also the NE way.   Developmental guys without reaching for them.      I know Rudolph gets a lot of mock love in the 20's, but that just doesn't seem compatible with BB's philosophy.   Lauletta, Mike White, whoever in Rd2-3, seems far more likely.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Also the NE way.   Developmental guys without reaching for them.      I know Rudolph gets a lot of mock love in the 20's, but that just doesn't seem compatible with BB's philosophy.   Lauletta, Mike White, whoever in Rd2-3, seems far more likely.

They'll be drafting Logan Woodside. They know the future GOAT when they see him. ;)

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They'll be drafting Logan Woodside. They know the future GOAT when they see him. ;)

DEN drafted Chad Kelly at Mr.  Irrelevant last year and there are fans who are serious about not wanting to take a QB this year because he should be given a shot.   So it’s hard for me to throw stones at any late round jokes lol.  

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Chargers aren't going to give up a 1st rounder for Gronk when they have Henry, agree 100 percent.

Oakland strikes me as a team in play for Gronk. San Francisco and Indianapolis may also accept Gronk as part of a deal.

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

heh, I'll take the credit for the Rudolph trend... I've been firmly on his bandwagon for months now.

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm pretty sure they'll look to trade up a bit to ensure they get Mason Rudolph. Been saying that for a while... if it turns out they don't have to? Even better.

8 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Oakland strikes me as a team in play for Gronk. San Francisco and Indianapolis may also accept Gronk as part of a deal.

Too young and while close not quite past his prime so bad fit for Gruden.  :D

IND is a bad fit as they have Ebron and Doyle with already a fair amount of $ invested there.  

41 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Or for whatever reason (interviews? evaluation?) Buffalo simply isn't willing to give up too much for Rosen. Maybe they don't have a high valuation on him at all (see Giants according to rumors).

Here's the Pats draft history under Belichick:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/15/15164566/nfl-draft-trades-patriots-won-bill-belichick

Only 3 instances of trading up in the top 40:

2002 trading up to 21 for TE Daniel Graham
2003 trading up to 13 for DL Ty Warren
2006 trading up to 36 for WR Chad Jackson

So history says it's pretty unlikely to happen.

They traded up twice during the 2012 draft in the first round. Bengals traded 21 to Pats who used it to select Chandler Jones. Then the Broncos traded 25 to the Pats which resulted in Dont'a Hightower.

I'd classify the Cooks trade this year as trading into the top 40 as well. The point is they've demonstrated a willingness to move aggressively for the guy they want. Last year they traded a first for Cooks for example.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Too young and while close not quite past his prime so bad fit for Gruden.  :D

IND is a bad fit as they have Ebron and Doyle with already a fair amount of $ invested there.  

Good point about Ebron and Doyle. I forget about Ebron too often probably because of the way he was acquired.

Redskins, Cardinals, Seahawks, and maybe even Cowboys could all be in play for a Gronk trade too.

17 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

They traded up twice during the 2012 draft in the first round. Bengals traded 21 to Pats who used it to select Chandler Jones. Then the Broncos traded 25 to the Pats which resulted in Dont'a Hightower.

I'd classify the Cooks trade this year as trading into the top 40 as well. The point is they've demonstrated a willingness to move aggressively for the guy they want. Last year they traded a first for Cooks for example.

Price-wise there’s a huge difference between the 20’s and going top 10.  

Trading into the 20’s is dipping your toes into the water.    Trading into the top 10 from the 20’s is doing a full cannonball into the deep end of the pool.   NE hasn’t done anything like that ever (even Ty Warren was a 1-spot move from 1.14).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Price-wise there’s a huge difference between the 20’s and going top 10.  

Trading into the 20’s is dipping your toes into the water.    Trading into the top 10 from the 20’s is doing a full cannonball into the deep end of the pool.   NE hasn’t done anything like that ever (even Ty Warren was a 1-spot move from 1.14).

Right, but I was responding to the guy saying that they didn't trade up in the top 40 much. 2012 were teo huge examples of when they did trade up and it worked out great. Panthers might be interested in Gronk too. 23, 24, and 31 is cannonball material, but its too much to trade up unless they're getting inside the top 6 or 7. For the 49ers 9 pick, Gronkowski+31+63 should be just about the peak offer the Patriots will offer to get up in reach of Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen. If neither were at 9 and the Pats had the pick, I think Rudolph or Lamar Jackson are real possibilities with Rudolph to me making more sense even if it's much richer than most people think he can get.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Ravens (16 overall) and Saints (27 overall) may come with interest in Gronk at some point too.

Again, unless Gronk (one month removed from being 29 with one year remaining on his deal and a spinal condition that puts an accelerated ticking clock on his career) is willing to sign a below-market (for a top-tier TE) extension as part of the deal, no one is giving up a 1st for him.  And yes, I know people will point to Cooks, but Cooks (it surprised me too when I saw it) younger than Cooper Kupp who the Rams drafted last year.

Archived