Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

They traded up twice during the 2012 draft in the first round. Bengals traded 21 to Pats who used it to select Chandler Jones. Then the Broncos traded 25 to the Pats which resulted in Dont'a Hightower.

I'd classify the Cooks trade this year as trading into the top 40 as well. The point is they've demonstrated a willingness to move aggressively for the guy they want. Last year they traded a first for Cooks for example.

They may trade up a few spots, but this is not the 2012 draft class, it is a much weaker draft and teams are going to struggle to find talent worth drafting. If NE trades up, it will be for a prospect like Miller, the UCLA LT prospect and not for any QB. I can also see them moving back with their picks to both acquire 2019 picks and to rely on their ability to assess talent later in a draft where the 60th pick, may turn out to be as good as the 12th pick.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Sure, but all of that would sink his trade value.    I get you aren't the one putting the NE-Rosen rumor, but the above only waters down Gronk's value.

If BUF chooses differently and trades up for one of other 3 QB's, and DEN passes on QB, I guess I could see NE getting into the mix.   But otherwise BUF has NE outgunned by a mile for a QB.   

IMO, if NE drafts a QB, they will take whoever falls to them in round 2. They are in no position to trade up into drafting one of the top 4 QB's. Trading up for say a Kolton Miller is possible, but that is about where it ends.

Gronk has back issues and is worth a 2nd round pick at best and it might be really tough to get that for him with his salary.

23 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

They simply do not have the cap space to sign Gronk, not even close to it, end of story!!!

No actually they'd be slightly under a million dollars over the cap if they acquired Rob Gronkowski. Cut Josh Hill, Ben Watson, and Michael Hoomanawanui and there is $4 mil to sign a the remaining draft picks and UDFA's they need to. Giving up 27 to get Gronk would leave them with no player contract more lucrative than a late third round pick as that would be their highest remaining pick this year. Like the Patriots in 2017 draft. Point is, they are very close in cap space to being able to afford Gronkowski.

15 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

They may trade up a few spots, but this is not the 2012 draft class, it is a much weaker draft and teams are going to struggle to find talent worth drafting. If NE trades up, it will be for a prospect like Miller, the UCLA LT prospect and not for any QB. I can also see them moving back with their picks to both acquire 2019 picks and to rely on their ability to assess talent later in a draft where the 60th pick, may turn out to be as good as the 12th pick.

Miller is a possibility I suppose but more like at pick 31. I think staying at 23 they have a shot at either Harold Landry or Rashaan Evans. Justin Reid would be plan C. That's assuming they wouldn't draft Mason Rudolph if he were there at 23 - which they would if he were.

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@Yin-Yang If negotiating a deal with Jimmy Graham and talking with Austin Sefarian-Jenkins doesn't indicate that the Saints may be looking for a tight end and at least qualify them as a potential team that could be interested in trading for Rob Gronkowski, then I am mistaking.

Don’t twist the words. I never said the Saints aren’t in the right end market or as a potential landing spot if Gronk were to be traded (I don’t think he will be). 

I questioned your statement about the Saints going for it this year, when multiple other teams have been just as active, if not more. Their offseason was pretty par-for-the-course. So then I asked what other reasons you had, and you couldn’t come up with any other than Brees being old - as predicted. Turns out: every team must be going for it this year.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Don’t twist the words. I never said the Saints aren’t in the right end market or as a potential landing spot if Gronk were to be traded (I don’t think he will be). 

I questioned your statement about the Saints going for it this year, when multiple other teams have been just as active, if not more. Their offseason was pretty par-for-the-course. So then I asked what other reasons you had, and you couldn’t come up with any other than Brees being old - as predicted. Turns out: every team must be going for it this year.

Your choice to focus on one obscure point I made to the bigger picture of including the Saints in the hunt for Gronkowski is the twisted part. I think the Saints are going for it and I have provided reasons, but it's okay if you disagree, that's irrelevant. What you initally quoted was a sliver from a post to someone else where I was explaining, in part, why the Saints make sense as a team to go after Gronkowski in a trade.

9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Your choice to focus on one obscure point I made to the bigger picture of including the Saints in the hunt for Gronkowski is the twisted part.

“Obscure” is right...

I quoted the part I disagreed with.

I think the Saints are going for it and I have provided reasons, but it's okay if you disagree, that's irrelevant.

You provided squat. You used FA visits as a reason - something all teams indulge in. I even gave you examples. You haven’t responded at all since originally giving your reasons because you can’t defend them.

What you initally quoted was a sliver from a post to someone else where I was explaining, in part, why the Saints make sense as a team to go after Gronkowski in a trade.

And it comes full circle, it goes back to believing Gronk will be traded. Similar hot take as Edelman being 50/50 to make next year’s roster or Mason Rudolph as a first rounder - despite what people bring up to contrast, it’s just what you believe. 

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

I disagree on one point, the Chargers do need to make a splash move somewhere, to get some kind of foothold in LA, they are not just behind the Rams, are are so far buried way behind them, a big name would give a substantial boost to their ticket sales!

No it wouldn't.  Season tickets actually sold extremely well... they just sold to ticket resellers because the Spanos family literally doesn't have the common sense to have a grace period wherein actual locals can buy ST's before it's just an open free-for-all.  So the 25+ resale brokers in the LA area purchase up half the tickets and then resell them indiscriminately.  The Spanos family doesn't know how to do grassroots marketing, they just don't; their solution is just "give stuff/money away" because clearly it's just a matter of "buying fans."  Legitimately, this is the opinion they have had of the fans in the LA market.  Now, that could certainly lend itself to the idea that, "if we just buy them a big name player they'll come a-runnin' to the gates and won't care if they have to pay a reseller a marked-up rate for tickets," but that doesn't mean that strategy is going to actually work.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

If he learned to throw with anticipation, read defenses pre-snap, improved his accuracy, and got better at decision making while under pressure, Josh Allen would be the best QB prospect of all time!

I'll laugh only after the Browns pass on him.

I'm scared.

Archived