SBB's 2nd attempt at a 2018 mock (finished now)

KodiakThunder

Hey Guys, so i looked at your feedback and have made some changes to my mock as well as the strategy behind my offseason moves. Initially my strategy was to fix the offense as fast as possible while creating an attractive environment for Cousins to sign. In this mock, I will be under the assumption that Cousins is NOT an option for us. Why? i feel like a lot of us have blinders on regarding cousins. Truth is, there may be less expensive options available that pose less risk than paying cousins 30 mil+ to come here. 

So, i am going to change my strategy of "the QB makes the team good" to "the team makes the QB good." It will be less sexy and probably less appealing but may just be better in the long run

Step 1, what are our options for QB?

- Bryce Petty (FA).... I dont even see us resigning him right now. 

- Christian Hackenberg (on roster)... I have no clue what to make of him. Mac/Bowles have zero faith in him

- Kurt Cousins (potential FA).... by far the juiciest option and the most expensive. 

- Blaine Gabbert (potential FA)... He may've turned a corner or maybe he didnt. He's been a Jekyll and hyde type of QB. Not a bad stopgap with good upside. 

- Sam Bradford (potential FA).... Very solid and relatively young. Terrible injury history, cannot be relied on to start 16 games. 

- Jay Cutler (potential FA).... i personally can't stand Cutler, so i will not even truly consider him here. 

- Josh McCown (FA).... 1 year wonder? probably. He makes the most sense to bring back as a 1-yr stopgap but we said that last year also

- Case Keenum (potential FA)... i think any QB can look competant with that team around them. I was never impressed with him even when he put up numbers for the Vikings. 

- Teddy Bridgewater (potential FA).... i think the Vikings keep Teddy and let Bradford/Keenum walk. So while hes my #1 on this list (besides Cousins) he's also the most unlikely

- Andrew Luck (via Trade).... New Front Office with a high pick in prime position to grab a QB? wait they have Luck? well, they may decide to cut/trade him with his injury history. 

- Draft a QB.... by far the most obvious solution. One of the top 4 should ALWAYS fall to the jets. However, teams may trade up to nab one of our guys. Therefore it is imperative to make sure QB is handled by the time the draft occurs. 

Cut:

- Usual Cuts everyone has us making

Resigns:

- Same as above. This stuff is pretty standard.

FA:

- Blaine Gabbert, QB

- Sammy Watkins, WR,

- Weston Richburg, OC

- Allen Robinson, WR

- Kyle Fuller, CB

- Jack Mewhort, OT

- Danell Ellerbee, DE/OLB

NFL Draft:

1. Cle- Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

2. NYG- Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

3. Colts- Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

4. Cle- Bradley Chubb, DE/OLB, NC State

5. Denver- Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

6. NYJ- Saiquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.

**jets trade both 2nd rounders and a 2019 3rd to the eagles for #32**

#32- Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St. 

R3: Leighton Vander Estch, DE/OLB, Boise St.

R4: Trevon Young, DE/OLB, Louisville

R5: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

R6: DJ Chark, WR, LSU

R7: Sam Jones, OG, Az St. 

12 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Hey Guys, so i looked at your feedback and have made some changes to my mock as well as the strategy behind my offseason moves. Initially my strategy was to fix the offense as fast as possible while creating an attractive environment for Cousins to sign. In this mock, I will be under the assumption that Cousins is NOT an option for us. Why? i feel like a lot of us have blinders on regarding cousins. Truth is, there may be less expensive options available that pose less risk than paying cousins 30 mil+ to come here. 

So, i am going to change my strategy of "the QB makes the team good" to "the team makes the QB good." It will be less sexy and probably less appealing but may just be better in the long run

Step 1, what are our options for QB?

Everyone has different views of this but for me it’s...

1. Cousins

2. Stay put at 6 and draft whoever falls to us (My QB rankings are Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen).

3. Get a tier 2 FA QB like Taylor and draft a guy in the mid Rounds like Rudolph or Faulk.

4. Trade up and get Rosen.

That offense would be nasty. Just no QB. Personally I think Hack would start if this was the case. I think a better option in FA would have to be brought in than Gabbert. But in all honesty I wouldn’t mind seeing Hack QB that offense. Finally we’d have pieces around a QB to succeed. But not sure it’s realistic. I think AR15 and Watkins both don’t hit FA. Maybe something like Matthews or Moncrief and Landry would be more realistic.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

You forgot a QB option A.J McCarron. He just won his case and is now an unrestricted free agent. 

Yes. McCarrons case wasnt adjudicated when i created this mock. I believe i was premature by about 2hrs or so? Or possibly i missed the feed while creating this mock

Archived