1. 1. Best Peak

• Steve Young
    • Brett Favre
    • Dan Marino
    • Drew Brees
    • John Elway
    • Kurt Warner
    • Big Ben

For those of you that never got to see prime Steve Young, you were truly missing out. He was a FANTASTIC athlete, running a 4.5 40, threw as beautiful of a ball/tight spiral that I have ever seen, could beat you inside or outside of the pocket, in both the short and downfield passing game, and could read a defense.

He was very similar to a left handed Aaron Rodgers, although more of a running threat. It took him a little time to refine his skill, but WOW was he special. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

For those of you that never got to see prime Steve Young, you were truly missing out. He was a FANTASTIC athlete, running a 4.5 40, threw as beautiful of a ball/tight spiral that I have ever seen, could beat you inside or outside of the pocket, in both the short and downfield passing game, and could read a defense.

He was very similar to a left handed Aaron Rodgers, although more of a running threat. It took him a little time to refine his skill, but WOW was he special. 

I've been on a this board for a long time, and I get this sense that people would put him on the level of Peyton Manning 

36 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I voted Favre but could definitely see the arguments for Young above him.

I just don’t think there is anything Favre in his absolute Prime did that was better than what peak Steve Young could do. 

Young was literally Aaron Rodgers physical talent PLUS about as good at running as any QB we’ve ever seen. Like he had great vision and could break tackles. 

15 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If we are talking pure peak, its very close for me between Marino and Warner

Coming to say Warner as well. He had a killer unit around him, but the numbers he was putting up were staggering.

Non-homer is probably Dan Marino from 1984 to 1986. The numbers he put up were incredible for the era. Voted first team All Pro all three years. Also, the number of sacks he took during those three years were 13, 18, and 17. Even more amazing when you consider his pass attempts in that span. 

Folks have mentioned Steve Young like myself, but his sack numbers even during his best years weren't that fabulous. 

• 2 months later...

Prime Steve Young is the best QB I've ever seen play and I started watching when Montana was at his peak.

Aaron Rodgers is the only other QB that've watched that has a similar all-around skillset but Young had that extra level of finesse and field awareness that makes him, IMHOP, the best. 

Kurt Warner also has a case but Young's added mobility and arm strength are a step above.

Archived