Pre-FA Mock Offseason (2nd attempt)

SDotNova

Edit: Mock has been edited. 

This is my second attempt at a pre-FA offseason. First change: things are starting to point towards Cousins being the Jets next QB. We continue to be the favorite by Vegas odds. Until Cousins signs somewhere, kind of hard to have a mock and not have the Jets landing Cousins.

Pre-Draft Cuts:

Forte 

Skrine

Ijalana

Wilkerson (post June 1st cut)

Carpenter

Major Re-signings:

Enunwa (2nd Round Tender)

Pennel (2nd Round Tender)

Claiborne (3 year deal)

Davis (3 year deal)

ASJ (3 year deal)

Ealy (3 year deal)

Catanzaro (2 year deal)

Free Agency:

1st major signing > Cousins QB (5 year deal): He decides to come to NY because of Bates and the flexibility we have to build a team around him.  Jets structure the deal with a downward slope to give the organization continued cap flexibility in the next few years

2nd major signing > Gaines CB (4 year deal):  We need CB help. Can't see us not getting one of the many solid corners in free agency. 

3rd major signing > Pugh G (4 year deal): The Giants are said to be ready to go hard after Norwell. They don't have much cap space, but I think they land him which doesn't allow the Giants to sign Pugh. Pugh is an average RT but is an above average G.

4th signing: Attaochu Edge (1 year deal): This is a prove it deal. The Jets have been relatively successful with these types of signings. I don't think that will go unnoticed to players looking for a 1 year  prove it deal.

NFL Draft:

I think ARI and BUF will be looking to trade up for a QB. Now that we have our QB, I think we will be better off trading back and picking up draft capital. 

Jets trade 6 overall pick to Arizona for 2018 1st Round and 2019 1st Round

1(15): Marcus Davenport, Edge, UTSA. Jets go with the high upside player at a high value position. Davenport showed well at the senior bowl game despite some struggles at practice. I think he will be one of those players that gets his career off to a modest start but explodes once he gains experience

2(NYJ): Ronald Jones II, RB, USC.  Versatile player who will provide big play ability.

2(SEA): Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas.  Fills a big hole with a very solid player

RD 3: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorodo State. Looks like a really solid receiver

RD 4: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond. Some might say it's too early to draft a QB with the Cousins signing. But this is a good draft to take a QB in the mid rounds. At the start of free agency, not only did the Jets need a starting QB, but they also needed a backup QB. Lauletta will learn behind Cousins. 

Jets trade 5th RD(DAL pick) and 6th RD pick 

RD 5(early pick due to trade up): Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech.  Solid guard who will be the air apparent to Winters

RD 7 (SEA pick): Chad Whitener, ILB, Oklahoma State. Depth at ILB

QB:     Cousins     Hack            Lauletta

RB:     Jones II      Powell          McGuire

TE:     ASJ              Leggett        Tomlinson       Sterling

WR:   Anderson    Kearse

WR:   Gallup         Hansen

Slot:  Enunwa      Stewart

LT:   Beachum

OG:  Pugh              Dozier

C:    Ragnow         Harrison

OG: Winters          Teller

RT:  Shell               Qvale

DE:     Pennel            Ealy

NT:     McLendon     Simon

DE:     Williams         Cooper

OLB:  Jenkins          Martin

ILB:    Davis              Whitener

ILB:     Lee                 Stanford

OLB:   Davenport     Attaochu     Donahue

CB:     Gaines             Burris             Roberts

CB:     Claiborne       Robinson    

FS:     Maye               Brooks

SS:     Adams            Miles

K:       Edwards

P:       Catanzaro

LS:     Hennessy

Roster Assessment:

Offense: The Jets now have a franchise QB who we can build around for the 5-7 years. Cousins will be throwing behind a solid young OL. The offense has a good trio of running backs as well as promising young receivers. The two positions to address in the future are a long-term answer at LT and possibly TE depending on how Leggett and ASJ develop.

Defense: The Jets solidify their secondary with the Gaines signing. They also add so much needed pass rushers in Davenport and Attaochu.

2019 Outlook: The Jets won't have any major contracts due in 2019; so, they once again will be major players in the Free Agent market. Additional, the Jets will have 2 1st round picks to plug any additional whole we may have.

32 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

You ruined it for me  by trading kearse. Honestly dont see the point in that move. 

You also forgot to add Landry on your depth chart and forgot that Robby Anderson is likely suspended for at least 4 games.

I have Landry starting in the slot on my depth chart. 

Kearse is not someone I want us to trade. I just think he becomes expendable if we sign Landry and drafted a WR. Good point on the Anderson situation though. Have to think about that. 

Personally I’m not a huge Butler fan. I think he’s slow and overrated. I’d rather see us target Gaines or Johnson. I also will be big time disappointed if we don’t get a C or OG in FA. Love the additions at WR. As for the draft I like it. Just bc it’s so OLine heavy I’m blah about it. Bc I think there’s no way we don’t get an olineman or 2 in FA.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Personally I’m not a huge Butler fan. I think he’s slow and overrated. I’d rather see us target Gaines or Johnson. I also will be big time disappointed if we don’t get a C or OG in FA. Love the additions at WR. As for the draft I like it. Just bc it’s so OLine heavy I’m blah about it. Bc I think there’s no way we don’t get an olineman or 2 in FA.

Free Agency is just so difficult to predict. Because it's not just about who we want, but where those players want to play. Plus there are other teams with cap space that need to spend money. This is why I think we won't be able to fill all our needs in free agency. I originally had us getting Richburg and second guessed us being able to land all these free agents. But on second thought, I think you're right about us being able to land one interior lineman. 

Going to go back to us signing a center and drafting a Edge with a second round pick. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Free Agency is just so difficult to predict. Because it's not just about who we want, but where those players want to play. Plus there are other teams with cap space that need to spend money. This is why I think we won't be able to fill all our needs in free agency. I originally had us getting Richburg and second guessed us being able to land all these free agents. But on second thought, I think you're right about us being able to land one interior lineman. 

Going to go back to us signing a center and drafting a Edge with a second round pick. 

I just see a few good Cs and OGs on the market. That's why I think we get 1 or 2 that way. Its not like there's only 1 guy and if we miss we have to turn our attention to the draft. There's several guys at those positions who we can target that are major upgrades. Luckily they wont cost too too much allowing us to still do what we want elsewhere in FA. Edge I think we are going to have rely on in the draft this year. Just no good guys that answer what we need that will actually hit FA. I really like a few of the 2nd Round guys at edge.

I don’t hate it but don’t love it. I don’t see this offseason significantly making this roster better. Obviously I love the Cousins and Jones II pickups. But I actually think carpenter is better than Pugh and Ragnow’s NFL future is more than likely at OG. Obviously you have us drafting him and playing C, but I actually don’t see this OLine any better. And a WR like Gallup doesn’t help this WR group at all. He’d be like 5th on the depth chart. My opinion is C needs to get addressed via FA or high in the draft. Jensen or Richburg have to be added or price has to be drafted. That’s my opinion. This OLine wasn’t bad last year but Johnson being so bad made winters and carpenter look worse than they actually are. Jones is adding a Big weapon but nothing is done at WR, which is an issue for me. Overall not that bad though.

Archived