What makes 2017 a successful season?

EaglesPeteC

Besides wins or playoffs or winning a division, what 5 things do you need to see to make 2017 a successful season or make you feel good about the direction of the team?

Here are mine

1) Carson Wentz plays like a legit NFL starter consistently all season.

It's all about that Wentz. If he develops into a franchise QB things will go in the right direction, if he doesn't, nothing else matters.

2) Rasul Douglas plays well

If Douglas develops into a legit looking CB over the course of the season, that is very exciting for the future with the infusion of Sidney Jones in 2018. I would like to finish 2018 with confidence that Jones/Douglas can be a formidable long term solution at CB. Same can be said for Jalen Mills but he is a turd so I'm pulling for Douglas.

3) 2 or 3 legit WR's emerge

Out of Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, Jordan Matthews, Agholor and Mack Hollins at least 2 (hopefully 3) consistently play well and can be counted on as long term options.

4) Derek Barnett is a beast

After Marcus Smith and Nelson Agholor, I want to see the Eagles have a homerun of a first round pick and restore confidence that this regime can draft and develop talent.

5) Issac Seumalo is good

if he shows to be a player, I feel good about the building blocks of a good young line. 

Mine is pretty much only #1.The seasons' success depends entirely on Wentz's play. It's a success if he improves and gives us more reasons to believe in him. It's a failure if that doesn't happen. Simple as that for me.

Assuming #1 does happen, then the other things I'd like to see, to make the season even more of a success, are

#2- At least 2 receiving targets emerging as long term options. Jeffery, Matthews, Ertz (and I know he is in our long term plans regardless, but you know what I mean w/ him), I'd obviously bet on it being from that group that we see this (ideally all 3), but hey if it's Torrey or Nelson I'll take it...

#3- Improvements from DP/9 or 10 wins. Two likely go hand in hand. 

#4. Promise from Barnett. Reasons to be high on him.

#5. Lane starting all 16, and at a high level.

#1 doesn't happen, then who cares.

For me it's:

Improved Wentz (this is most important of all)

Hitting on at least 3 draft picks.

Alshon stays healthy, plays good/great, and gets extended.

The DL plays like a top 5 unit vs the run and the pass.

I would really like Doug to really make his presence as the head coach and become the unquestioned leader of this team. I love that he is smart enough to lean on other strengths, but i just want him to be more of the face of the team and more of the alpha male leader type like Andy or Hoodie or Coughlin or Carroll. I felt sometimes like it was more a group of coaches  and the front offices team and not so much Doug's team. 

Example was like all the drops, i never saw him really care. Like Hoodie or Coughlin would of choked a B%&& and never play them that game again or the following week even. I feel like Doug was cutting orange slices and handing out caprisuns to many times last year. 

Archived