2018 Lions Offseason Mock

Honalulufan20

Reasons for probability: Yes, we have some big name FA's here and that's not the Patriots style, but they splurged on Gilmore for a reason, and Malcolm Butler is familiar with Matt Patricia's system. Furthermore, this is the first time in Bob Quin's tenure that the team has some significant cap room, and this is his third year with a team that is just two wins better than when he took over for Martin Mayhew, so his mind might be on the free agent market. Plus, he sticks with his plan of lines early in the draft in this case.

Resign:

Ezekial Ansah DE  3 year 24 million 

Tahir Whitehead LB 3 year 12 million 

Nevin Lawson CB 2 year 5 million 

Don Carey S/ST 1 year 1.5 million

Travis Swanson C 1 year 1.5 million 

RFA Tender:

TJ Jones WR 

Kary Hyder Jr DE

Jake Rudock QB

Cap space left: We start with about $51 million in space, after keeping our own, we're back down to ~31 million 

UFA: 

Sign Malcolm Butler CB 3 year 30 million

Sign Sheldon Richardson DT 3 year 15 million

Sign Nigel Bradham OLB 2 year 9 million 

Sign Adrian Clayborn DE 1 year 3 million 

Sign Kony Ealy DE 3 year 9 million 

Sign Josh Gordon WR 1 year 3 million 

Trade Ameer Abdullah to Pats for a 5th 

Draft: 

1- Maurice Hurst DT Michigan 

2- Derrius Guice HB LSU 

3- Braden Smith G Auburn 

4- Damon Webb S Ohio State 

5- Bo Scarbrough HB Alabama 

5- Dante Pettis WR Washington 

6- Matt Skol TE Michigan State 

I don’t think we should retain Swanson or sign Kony Ealy.  With the emergence of Kenny Galloway we could find a younger #4WR.  Not a big fan of Gordon, Clayborn or Richardson either.  Why not use that money to sign a quality free agent like Daquan Jones, Cornelius Carradine or Josh Kline rather than sign a bunch of scrubs.  I like Hurst but he has to be in the right scheme (not scheme diverse).  I like a lot of the players but it seems pretty heavy on the offense.

Love the draft if that would happen, but some of those names are going much higher. 

As for the off-season here's my thoughts

1. Swanson is one more concussions away from being a vegetable. He needs to retire and the lions should take a pass on him. 

2. Whitehead was the bane of my existence this year. He can't cover my 90 year old granny. I don't want to see him back on the team. 

3. Lawson I think will get a decent payday this off-season and I would be happy to let him take it. I think he's ok but he's no world beater. 

4. As far as Abdullah I'd keep him. He's dirt cheap and counts for less than 1% of next year's cap. He's not devoid of talent he just shouldn't be an every down back. 

5. Lastly if I were Ansah I wouldn't take that contract. He can get big bucks on the open market. Think something similar to what Suh got. That would be my guess. 

With that said though good job. I always enjoy reading these things. 

Resign:

Ezekial Ansah DE  3 year 24 million 

I'd do this in a minute. But I see bigger bucks in his future 

Tahir Whitehead LB 3 year 12 million 

No,  I think it's time to move on. No coverage skills

Nevin Lawson CB 2 year 5 million 

Like Ezekial, he has a bigger payday coming.

Don Carey S/ST 1 year 1.5 million

This is reasonable for depth and special teams

Travis Swanson C 1 year 1.5 million 

I don't see any offers for him here. concussions, inconsistent performance and his replacement is already here.

RFA Tender:

TJ Jones WR 

Kary Hyder Jr DE

Jake Rudock QB

I see all 3 being tendered

UFA: 

Sign Malcolm Butler CB 3 year 30 million

i don't get the hype about him?

Sign Sheldon Richardson DT 3 year 15 million

I see him being offered more

Sign Kony Ealy DE 3 year 9 million

maybe a 1 year show me deal, nothing more.

Sign Josh Gordon WR 1 year 3 million

no, this guy is a spilt bong away from a lifetime ban.

Trade Ameer Abdullah to Pats for a 5th 

lucky if you get anything more than a 7th round pick

Draft: 

1- Maurice Hurst DT Michigan 

2- Derrius Guice HB LSU 

3- Braden Smith G Auburn 

4- Damon Webb S Ohio State 

5- Bo Scarbrough HB Alabama 

5- Dante Pettis WR Washington 

6- Matt Skol TE Michigan State 

nice picks. I would love to see Hurst, Guice. I don't see Guice making it to us in round Two.

Scarbrough would be interesting. Webb and Pettis?? Why not? But I see a bigger need for LB's

Ansah will command way more than $8 mil a year.  Not sure about Whitehead unless we can't add LBs in the draft or FA, otherwise let him test the market.  Lawson will get more than $2.5 mil and he will get it .  Just somewhere else.  Swanson has been replaced by Glasgow and you have young safeties who can fill Carey's role on ST.  I would re-sign Ngata for at least one more year.   RFAs Hyder, Jones and Rudock are solid and worth tendering. 

FA-wise :  No to Malcolm Butler unless Patricia is on board and at much less than$10 mil/yr.   You won't get Richardson or Bradham for what you're offering.  I would consider Bradham and pay him market value  (which is what he's going to get).  Richardson and   Ealy, maybe I yr show me deals.  There's no real need for Gordon.

You might get a 6th or 7th rounder for Abdullah.  For that you might as well keep him.  I'm not sure that I like the draft.  Hurst is a nice player, but he's kind of light for a DT and will need more than speed to make an impact.  Guice is a late 1st or early 2nd rnd pick .  Don't know much about the other picks, except that Sokol not worth a 6th rnd pick.  He's a UDFA in my opinion.

I'd be all for bringing Gordon in. We have seen what he can do with no QB, would be a fun addition.  Especially on an earn it contract.  No thank you to Butler and good luck getting Ziggy to sign for anything under 12 a year.  Even that might be low for what he could get. 

Draft I am ok with other than Sokol. He is not good at football. 

On 2/16/2018 at 12:02 PM, Honalulufan20 said:

I like Ansah but let him walk. He's already 28 and it would cost too much to re-sign him

I agree with re-signing Whithead, we need to keep our best linebacker.

Whether or not Lawson is re-signed isn't of too much concern to me, I would prefer for him to be let go and for us to pursue a cornerback or 2 in FA

PLEASE DO NOT RE-SIGN SWANSON

I love the idea of getting Butler. His price will be lower because of all the teams that are skeptical after the SB, and I could bet he has a huge chip on his shoulder too, win-win situation here

100% against signing Richardson, he's a big name FA who hasn't been playing up to his hype

We need linebacker help so I wouldn't mind signing Bradham

Ealy and Clayborn would be nice additions but I doubt they'll come that cheap 

Like Gordon but receiver is our strongest position group. There's no need to sign him

Keep Abdullah as the third runner behind Riddick and whoever we get in FA/draft

On 2/20/2018 at 12:17 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd be all for bringing Gordon in. We have seen what he can do with no QB, would be a fun addition.  Especially on an earn it contract.  No thank you to Butler and good luck getting Ziggy to sign for anything under 12 a year.  Even that might be low for what he could get. 

Draft I am ok with other than Sokol. He is not good at football. 

I've been following Gordon closely and I think he understands where he stands with the league. He's out to prove himself and he has a chip on his shoulder. I really think he's going to figure things out.

In terms of the mock, I don't have a huge issue with it. I think some of those guys are going to be gone, but it's really early to speculate on that.

Free agency is a bit optimistic. I think Ziggy is going to get a ton of money from someone, and he'll definitely need more than $8 Million a year to stay here. He's probably closer to $12 million, and would be set to make more if he leaves. I would also let Swanson walk. I don't think he's coming back.

I could see Butler coming here, and could get on board with the move. I think he could be a solid piece.

I want to get rid of Abdullah, but the Lions will be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him. They definitely won't get a 5th round pick for him. He was the worst runner in the league last year, and the Patriots don't need him.

Overall, solid mock. Keep them coming!

Agreed on the position of Gordon. I do expect that he's going to behave better and turn things around off the field. He's a RFA, so we would have to trade in order to get him (assuming that the very WR needy Browns don't give him a tender). While a tender isn't exactly a "trade", we would still have to give up a high draft pick (2nd) in order to take him on. We have cap space but the Browns could steamroll anything that we would offer. Overall, this is an unlikely addition.

Ansah: I firmly believe that he is going to get tagged. He might work out a deal for $10 - $11M but I'm not sure that I would want to go that route, regardless. Downside is that he would likely be much more expensive next year and not willing to come back if he shows he is worth that kind of money. It's a tough spot overall.

Butler: Assuming the benching wasn't Patricia's idea, I could definitely see us bringing in Butler. He's familiar with the scheme and would be playing 1A/1B with Slay. At worst, he should be a solid #2.

Ealy: Not too sure about this since the Pats brought him in and then released him. If he wasn't a fit there, I'm not too sure he'd be high on Patricia's radar.

Richardson: Love the player, dislike the dude. There's a reason that he's been moved around even though he's a solid player. It would have to be at a more acceptable level. I would not want to be getting too invested.

You are very naive to Contracts in NFL. I assure you all those FA will be paid a lot more then that.I liked Malcolm Butler at first. But just not sure now. I never heard of him before the SB pick...not that I know everything of course. But I feel he may be overrated and could steal alot of cap for next 6 years. Just to get PI and frustrate us all....What do you think of Lamarcus Joyner? I loved him going into draft. Shorter but can pop a guy. And we need a SS/CB combo with experience. Let Killebrew play some snaps too. Even if we can sign at least one starter on each side of the ball in FA thats a success.

and i agree with a lot of people on Whitehead....I think he should start somewhere else, because I personally wouldn't have him be more then a back up OLB in 4-3.  You know the one that only plays on kickoff lol

Archived