Chiefs breakout candidates

titans0021

Heading into camp, who are the names to keep an eye on throughout the preseason for the Chiefs?

With Maclin gone, is Chris Conley a viable option, or is the passing game basically Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill and then who knows?

Any young players that are interesting? Just how good of a pass-rusher can Dee Ford be?

Titans play the Chiefs in the final week of the preseason, so I'm always hoping to find some specific players to watch in that last game, since it's all but certain we won't really get a look at any of the major names from either team. One of the bigger strengths for the Titans, after years of it being a massive weakness, is the overall depth. So that last game should provide some interesting battles over the last few roster spots.

• 2 weeks later...

The main breakout candidate I always come back to is Kareem Hunt. I really think he will be the #1 before too long and I really think he will be heavily used in the past game as he has great hands. I could see a (depending on when/if he takes over the starting role) a 800 rush, 400 receiving 8td type line. 

Besides Hunt my main crush is Mitchell, I really wanna see if he can keep that #2 CB spot locked down. The guy balled out last year when he got his chance but now there's film on him and he will have to stretch it out for a full season. 

I think the whole WR corps is going to break out. Hill we know about, but he is reportedly making strides as a route runner. On the other side and the slot there seem to be three names, Conley, Robinson, and S Jones. All are 6'1" or taller and fast. Others have flashed but not shown consistency--Chris Jones, LDT, Dee Ford.

J

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Speaking of breaking out, how is T. Hill looking thus far? Reports from camp? That guy looked like he could be a monster in the league. 

Making strides. This will be his first season as a true WR, so there is still a lot to learn. Note that he will not be the lead WR. Either Robinson of Conley get that distinction. You may still see him in the backfield (three rushing TD in '16), but he will see a great deal less time on ST.

J

6 hours ago, NickButera said:

Speaking of breaking out, how is T. Hill looking thus far? Reports from camp? That guy looked like he could be a monster in the league. 

All reports are phenomenal. He was at the center of most of the early camp hype.

I'll leave Rookies out of my list as they don't break out their first year, they establish themselves.

Hill has been discussed at length already.

That said:

CB Steven Nelson - seems to have nailed down the #2 spot outside, moving into the slot in nickel and dime.
ILB Ramik Wilson - playing next to D. Johnson will change the whole scenery for him.
WR Chris Conley - it's about time. Having Hill and an hopefully healthy Kelce out there will open things up for him.
QB Alex Smith - I think we'll see him go vertical much more than before.
OLB Dee Ford - quite honestly, I don't expect him to break out. He'll get better, but I don't exprect a huge jump in performance from him.

I'm not convince it will be Conley. He will have an impact I am sure, but the ones I am watching are the journeyman Seantavius Jones and Demarcus Robinson. Perhaps all three as a group. 

The guy no one is talking about as a breakout is Nacho, aka RNR, aka Rakeem Nunez-Roches. He's a 6th round pick with quickness. He put on mass through an off season program. He is set to be a staple of the DL rotation, but he could also be Dontari Poe's replacement in the rush package. The ability for the center of the DL to generate push is critical to the pass rush. If the DL collectively steps up, which many of us expect, RNR will be central to that.  

J

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I'm not convince it will be Conley. He will have an impact I am sure, but the ones I am watching are the journeyman Seantavius Jones and Demarcus Robinson. Perhaps all three as a group. 

The guy no one is talking about as a breakout is Nacho, aka RNR, aka Rakeem Nunez-Roches. He's a 6th round pick with quickness. He put on mass through an off season program. He is set to be a staple of the DL rotation, but he could also be Dontari Poe's replacement in the rush package. The ability for the center of the DL to generate push is critical to the pass rush. If the DL collectively steps up, which many of us expect, RNR will be central to that.  

J

Yeah I think RNR is going to have a Jaye Howard type rise this season.

Really his weakness was getting washed out in the run game, but he looks more stout down low now.   Can really see him being the Jaye Howard from a couple years ago, stout enough to backup NT, but also has an great burst and can backup at either DE spot also.

My other guy is Steven Nelson.  He's already a solid player, but I think he'll take the next step and start creating plays 

On August 16, 2017 at 1:11 AM, onejayhawk said:

Making strides. This will be his first season as a true WR, so there is still a lot to learn. Note that he will not be the lead WR. Either Robinson of Conley get that distinction. You may still see him in the backfield (three rushing TD in '16), but he will see a great deal less time on ST.

J

Pretty sure Tyreek is gonna be tge Z receiver which is pretty much the number 1 spot.

Advantage there because you  line up a half yard behind the LOS. Helps to Avoid the press

Hill is the homerun hitter and the big flash. However, he is not a polished route runner or a complete receiver. Someone else must take that role, whether they play the Z or not. Also Hill is an outside speed type. Conley, Robinson, and Jones have the size to handle the crossing routes and do the downfield blocking. I suspect blocking is one reason S Jones has made an impact.

On another player, what are the thoughts about CJ Spiller. Obviously he is healthy now, but its the first time in years. Is he going to be Darren Sproles, ie mostly returns and 3rd and long? If there is a player that can inject a little JC into the offense, it's Spiller.

J

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

On another player, what are the thoughts about CJ Spiller. Obviously he is healthy now, but its the first time in years. Is he going to be Darren Sproles, ie mostly returns and 3rd and long? If there is a player that can inject a little JC into the offense, it's Spiller.

J

I have no idea how the RB's will be used.  The thing with Ware and Hunt are they can handle the workload, but also they are both good receiving backs.  There is no need to take them off the field on 3rd Down.  I would want them receiving 90% of the touches.

With that said I do want Spiller on this team,  maybe 5-6 touches per game in the 2nd and 4th quarter.  He's also a decent option as kick returner.

11 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I have no idea how the RB's will be used.  The thing with Ware and Hunt are they can handle the workload, but also they are both good receiving backs.  There is no need to take them off the field on 3rd Down.  I would want them receiving 90% of the touches.

With that said I do want Spiller on this team,  maybe 5-6 touches per game in the 2nd and 4th quarter.  He's also a decent option as kick returner.

Granted Ware and Hunt have good hands but I would not call them good receiving backs. JC was a good receiving back. He could disrupt the whole 2nd tier of the defense, even without the ball. We drew up plays where he was the primary target, not the safety valve. I was wondering if Spiller could fill that role.

If Spiller is healthy, a decent option at KR is the low end of his potential. 

J

Archived