Peyton Manning to the broadcast booth...?

vike daddy

Roone Arledge created MNF with a three broadcaster booth. Three networks, no cable, the gimmick worked well. Madden and Summerall were the same old school type. Don't take anything too seriously. With too many distractions today, from cable to internet, match PM with an old coach. Manning has a sneaky sense of humor. A no nonsense yankee would be a fit.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, TXsteeler said:

I would love to have manning as a commentator because outside of Romo, most of the primetime guys are terrible, hopefully he does MNF though because TNF sucks and I want it to die.

Romo's annoying though. He can be really good if he doesn't try and predict the play before the snap. I think if Peyton comes to do this he'll be good if he doesn't try and do what Tony does. Just my opinion. 

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I like Peyton and he obviously knows the game but I don't think he has a great booth voice. Maybe put him with Joe Buck and they tell stories of the old west.

Peyton Manning honestly would be someone I'd prefer with all the guys in the studio doing the halftime show analysis. I don't want to listen to him for a whole game. He has the most goofy monotone voice in the world. It's 99% of the reason he's considered funny, but it's not something you want to listen to for 3 hours. 

Being a football player doesn't make you a good commentator. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Peyton Manning honestly would be someone I'd prefer with all the guys in the studio doing the halftime show analysis. I don't want to listen to him for a whole game. He has the most goofy monotone voice in the world. It's 99% of the reason he's considered funny, but it's not something you want to listen to for 3 hours. 

Being a football player doesn't make you a good commentator. 

It can't be worse than Chris Collinsworth tbh.

17 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Romo's annoying though. He can be really good if he doesn't try and predict the play before the snap. I think if Peyton comes to do this he'll be good if he doesn't try and do what Tony does. Just my opinion. 

The annoying thing about Romo is he starts to play coach in crucial moments like he's trying to tell the team what to do. Watch the end of the Steelers vs Patriots game and he's basically telling Ben what to do. 

Just now, TXsteeler said:

It can't be worse than Chris Collinsworth tbh.

Not really. People don't like Collinsworth mostly because people think he's biased against their team. That's the most frequent criticism I've ever heard of him. Aside from Romo (who only does it on offenses he's familiar with), he actually goes deeper than pretty much anybody on in game analysis. Also he's a good check for Michaels who is a good commentator but often needs to reigned in from getting too sensational and turning into a poor man's Bob Costa's. The only other criticism you get about him is PFF. 

I prefer him to Aikman who offers absolutely nothing of value, Joe Buck who is completely useless (and it's sad that Aikman is starting to make me realize he is the stronger of their duo), Fouts who like Collinsorth can be biased, but is also terrible, even Romo is a one trick pony. Collinsworth hate is like 90% he said something you didn't like about a team you cheer you for and 10% confirmation bias. Pound for pound there really aren't many better commentators.

To me the only really bad thing about Collinsworth is he'll get stuck on an opinion and try to make a story out of something if he thinks it's going to be talked about. I'm convinced the 2014 Super Bowl play where they didn't run Lynch is only as big as it is for the choice not to call run as opposed to an amazing interception is because Collinsworth ranted for 5 minutes about the call on national television. 

But yeah it can be worse than Collinsworth. Most of the commentators on Sunday and Monday are worse than him. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Not really. People don't like Collinsworth mostly because people think he's biased against their team. That's the most frequent criticism I've ever heard of him. Aside from Romo (who only does it on offenses he's familiar with), he actually goes deeper than pretty much anybody on in game analysis. Also he's a good check for Michaels who is a good commentator but often needs to reigned in from getting too sensational and turning into a poor man's Bob Costa's. The only other criticism you get about him is PFF. 

I prefer him to Aikman who offers absolutely nothing of value, Joe Buck who is completely useless (and it's sad that Aikman is starting to make me realize he is the stronger of their duo), Fouts who like Collinsorth can be biased, but is also terrible, even Romo is a one trick pony. Collinsworth hate is like 90% he said something you didn't like about a team you cheer you for and 10% confirmation bias. Pound for pound there really aren't many better commentators.

To me the only really bad thing about Collinsworth is he'll get stuck on an opinion and try to make a story out of something if he thinks it's going to be talked about. I'm convinced the 2014 Super Bowl play where they didn't run Lynch is only as big as it is for the choice not to call run as opposed to an amazing interception is because Collinsworth ranted for 5 minutes about the call on national television. 

But yeah it can be worse than Collinsworth. Most of the commentators on Sunday and Monday are worse than him. 

Collinsworth is terrible though, he is just so smarmy and stupid. I do not actually believe that man ever played football, he must have been swapped with the guy who did when we crossed over from the bearenstein timeline. Like during the Superbowl every single reviewed catch he sat there heming and hawing the whole time like it might not have been a catch when it obviously was. I don't care if he is biased or not, he's just the most annoying commentator in the league imo.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

Collinsworth is terrible though, he is just so smarmy and stupid. I do not actually believe that man ever played football, he must have been swapped with the guy who did when we crossed over from the bearenstein timeline. Like during the Superbowl every single reviewed catch he sat there heming and hawing the whole time like it might not have been a catch when it obviously was. I don't care if he is biased or not, he's just the most annoying commentator in the league imo.

The Clements catch was debatable and whatever was called on the field would have stood. The Ertz catch was obvious and he was just trying to start something. I honestly think he just knew the catch situation was a big story and was playing off everyone getting nervous that they were going to overturn the call. 

Like I said, he did the same thing when he went on a complete rant after the Butler interception a few years ago. 

It's just the reality is he's a better commentator than 90% of the guys doing it. When he's on point and not trying to play into a narrative he's easily the most insightful and best commentator. Like I said I think you could swap most of the main teams with anybody and aside from Collinsworth and Romo most people wouldn't know the difference.And I'm not so sure that Romo will be part of that conversation 3-5 years from now.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The Clements catch was debatable and whatever was called on the field would have stood. The Ertz catch was obvious and he was just trying to start something. I honestly think he just knew the catch situation was a big story and was playing off everyone getting nervous that they were going to overturn the call. 

Like I said, he did the same thing when he went on a complete rant after the Butler interception a few years ago. 

It's just the reality is he's a better commentator than 90% of the guys doing it. When he's on point and not trying to play into a narrative he's easily the most insightful and best commentator. Like I said I think you could swap most of the main teams with anybody and aside from Collinsworth and Romo most people wouldn't know the difference.And I'm not so sure that Romo will be part of that conversation 3-5 years from now.

Collinsworth being the best of "mostly terrible" doesn't mean much. Like there are no commentator teams that are liked by even 30% of viewers they're all so bad. 

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Collinsworth being the best of "mostly terrible" doesn't mean much. Like there are no commentator teams that are liked by even 30% of viewers they're all so bad. 

That's probably a fair assessment. Being a commentator is a very difficult job and often if people talk about you, it's for something bad. It's like being a ref. When you do everything right, you don't get any credit. When you do something wrong, you never hear the end of it and that's the only thing people remember about you. Like let's be honest the worst thing about Collinsworth in the Super Bowl was him questioning two catches on two plays that were both reviewed and they were filling time... and one of them was debatable.

The idea that Manning's going to come in and kill it..... eh. I think people just instinctively like him and Romo because they grew up with them and they have more recent credibility. 

20 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

I like Collinsworth but he was super annoying during the SB. You could tell he had a Pats bias about everything. Normally he's an excellent announcer.

I don't think he has a Pats bias. He said some questionable things about them when they played in the Seattle Super Bowl. 

I think he zones in on things that he thinks will be headlines and then tries to oversell them. He did it with not running Lynch, he did it with the Ertz catch. If it was just the Clements catch nobody would care.  

Collinsworth does it about as well as can be expected for anyone. 

Only "Pats bias" thing during the SB that I remember is him and Al not acknowledging that Ertz took 3 steps before diving at the end zone on that one play; that heightened my fear of shenanigans while the refs took unnecessarily long on that review. 

Archived