• Orlando Brown [ OT ] Oklahoma
    • Connor Williams [ OT ] Texas
    • Da'Ron Payne [ DT ] Alabama
    • Josh Jackson [ CB ] Iowa
    • Mike Hughes [ CB ] UCF
    • Courtland Sutton [ WR ] SMU
    • James Daniels [ C ] Iowa

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/17/2018 at 09:12 PM

PLEASE READ THESE RULES BEFORE POSTING OR VOTING:

• Each poll will last 24 hours 
  • There are two polls, one to cast your first choice, one to cast your second preference
  • The player with the most votes from BOTH polls, will be declared the pick
  • There will be no run-offs
  • If you vote for the same player in both polls, your vote(s) will be disqualified

Before complaining about poll options, refer to this thread:-

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/7055-consensus-mock-rules-and-feedback-thread/

49ers Needs from https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-nfl-team-needs-041500466--spt.html

Interior Offensive Line: C Daniel Kilgore and RG Brandon Fusco’s contracts are up after both had rough 2017 seasons, and LG Laken Tomlinson should face competition to keep his job. OTs Joe Staley and Trent Brown could use better injury luck, but both are quality starters when on the field. This is coach Kyle Shanahan’s opportunity to remake San Francisco’s interior line with athletic zone blockers. 

Cornerback: Shanahan and GM John Lynch had a successful first offseason, but the roster Trent Baalke left them was so barren the 49ers remain long on needs. San Francisco could use a plus-sized “X” receiver to upgrade their downfield and red-zone passing games, running back help if free agent Carlos Hyde walks, and more linebacker talent next to MLB Reuben Foster, who is already in the NFL’s substance-abuse program and got busted for marijuana possession in January. At corner, the Niners have even less to hang their hats on, although 2017 third-round pick Ahkello Witherspoon held his own in a starting role down the stretch. At very least, the 49ers need to find a starter opposite him. 

Edge Pass Rusher: Even though Jimmy Garoppolo is presently unsigned, I left quarterback off the 49ers’ needs list because Garoppolo isn’t going anywhere, and in a worst-case scenario will be franchise tagged. Beginning at corner and extending to outside pass rusher, the 49ers’ pass defense needs a major talent injection after the team finished 27th in sacks (30) and 28th in pass-defense DVOA. With Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, and Solomon Thomas entrenched as defensive line building blocks, the 49ers could quickly morph their front into one of the NFL’s nastiest by landing a true edge rusher. 

Results:-

1.Cleveland - Sam Darnold [QB] USC

2.NY Giants - Josh Rosen [QB] UCLA

3.Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb [DE] NC State

4.Cleveland(From Houston) - Saquon Barkley [RB] Penn St.

5.Denver - Quenton Nelson [OG] Notre Dame

6.NY Jets - Baker Mayfield [ QB ] Oklahoma

7.Tampa Bay - Minkah Fitzpatrick [ FS ] Alabama

8.Chicago - Denzel Ward [ CB ] Ohio St.

9.San Francisco

10.Oakland

11.Miami

12.Cincinnati

13.Washington

14.Green Bay

15.Arizona

16.Baltimore

17.LA Chargers

18.Seattle

19.Dallas

20.Detroit

21.Buffalo

22.Buffalo

23.LA Rams

24.Carolina

25.Tennessee

26.Atlanta

27.New Orleans

28.Pittsburgh

29.Jacksonville

30.Minnesota

31.New England

32.Philadelphia

A lot to like here still left on the board as a 49er fan. Kind of hard to choose, I won't lie. The tackles are probably out unless we are going to play them at guard for 2 years. I could see us taking a depth tackle in the middle rounds as we do need a back up, but too early to make that call here, unfortunately. We seem pretty content with our wide receivers, and none of them are worth this pick anyway, in my opinion. 

I really wish that Nelson had been on the board, but with him gone and this too early to take Wynn, we will have to sort out the guard issue in FA or the second round. 

For me, this breaks down to 4 players - Smith / Edmunds / Jackson / Davenport. 

In the end, I went with Edmunds and Davenport. Edmunds offers a little more versatility than Smith in my opinion, as I feel the latter is probably WILL exclusive at this point at the next level. Edmunds can probably be deployed in a myriad of ways, and he's got some crazy upside. Davenport is just a freakishly long, raw prospect with a very high upside. He's probably not going to offer a whole ton his first year in my opinion, but I can afford to play the waiting game if I'm the 49ers a little bit. 

Jackson was really hard to pass up here, as even though I'm not as big of a fan as some, I think that this is probably one of the best matches for him as a player. 

Vita Vea would be intriguing, but in the end, I really couldn't consider him here. 

I really wish Nelson was here because he would be perfect for our needs but to me, it comes down to the two best players left on the board. Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith. We have a need for a linebacker to put next to Foster. Foster well-documented issues also influence this selection as we have no idea if we can rely on him moving forward.  IMO Roquan is a little too much like Foster in his playstyle so I went with Edmunds as my first pick because of his versatility, high ceiling, and play style matching what we need. He could play MIKE primarily and then rush from the SAM spot every once and a while. I also really like Smith here because he would make an immediate impact and it would help us not be so dependent on Foster giving us the chance to release him if he causes more trouble.

Some other options include Josh Jackson, Marcus Davenport, and Calvin Ridley but honestly, I'm not high on any of those guys so I'm not really considering them here.

40 minutes ago, Geek said:

I really wish Nelson was here because he would be perfect for our needs but to me, it comes down to the two best players left on the board. Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith. We have a need for a linebacker to put next to Foster. Foster well-documented issues also influence this selection as we have no idea if we can rely on him moving forward.  IMO Roquan is a little too much like Foster in his playstyle so I went with Edmunds as my first pick because of his versatility, high ceiling, and play style matching what we need. He could play MIKE primarily and then rush from the SAM spot every once and a while. I also really like Smith here because he would make an immediate impact and it would help us not be so dependent on Foster giving us the chance to release him if he causes more trouble.

Some other options include Josh Jackson, Marcus Davenport, and Calvin Ridley but honestly, I'm not high on any of those guys so I'm not really considering them here.

That's pretty much where I stand in the Edmunds v Smith debate. Really just depends on what pros / cons you prefer. 

Archived