Upgrading secondary over Pass Rush?

Burnett42

Is upgrading the secondary more important for a Mike Pettine led defense? 

To summarize the article for people who don't want to read it, it basically says Outside of one year in Buffalo Mike Pettine has done a good job with less pass rush than we have now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acmepackingcompany.com/platform/amp/2018/2/16/17020530/packers-offseason-priority-2018-defense-secondary-cornerback-over-pass-rush-mike-pettine

Didn't read the article but disagree with the premise of the idea. Nobody can cover as long as was necesary with our pass rush last year. If you can make the QB uncomfortable in the pocket with a dominant pass rush your secondary is already a lot better. 

In the draft I'd be happy with either of the positions whoever we think is the best player. 

But I think it's more important to upgrade over Rollins, Pipkins,  or Hawkins for who will start at our 3rd corner than upgrade over Matthews and Perry. It would be nice to sign one in free agents and draft the other postion in the first though. 

I wouldn't be upset with a really good defensive back at 14.  Wouldn't be upset at all.  We definitely need to add to our pass rushing group long term, so we'd likely have to trade back up into the first or at worst take a pass rusher with our second pick, but in this league you can never have enough defensive backs. 

Damarious Randall is our closest thing to a playmaker right now in the secondary, and we've got pass rushers who are capable of having good seasons.  Especially with a fresh coordinator. 

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I wouldn't be upset with a really good defensive back at 14.  Wouldn't be upset at all.  We definitely need to add to our pass rushing group long term, so we'd likely have to trade back up into the first or at worst take a pass rusher with our second pick, but in this league you can never have enough defensive backs. 

Damarious Randall is our closest thing to a playmaker right now in the secondary, and we've got pass rushers who are capable of having good seasons.  Especially with a fresh coordinator. 

I agree.  And Randall is still a question mark, being good his rookie year, then bad for a year and a half, then good the last half of the year. King looked like a good rookie but never know about him either. Definitely need to add another potential number 1 or 2 corner. 

Corner is one of the more important positions on the team. Maybe not up there with pass rusher, left tackle, QB, but important. The biggest downside is that I'd rather have a pass rusher in round one and a corner like Central florida's Mike Hughes in round two than the other way around. My ideal would be pass rusher, then WR, then corner, but by that time you are left with someone like Tavarus McFadden or Holton Hill. Perhaps some trading of picks for another 2nd rounder (like moving down a few spots in round one and parcelling what they get for that with a 3rd rounder) would allow both CB Mike Hughes and a WR with some deep speed, like Gallup (good name btw).

A first three picks of (for example) OLB Landry, Davenport, or Edmonds if he fell that far, CB Hughes, WR Gallup, would look very nice to me, allowing for a TE with the other third round pick.

If you do go CB in round one, it seems like that would be Jackson or Ward (Fitzpatrick doesn't seem to be viewed as a boundary corner). You could do worse than that. I rather like Ward, despite his size, he has the speed and athleticism that makes things look easy. His picture on NFL.com reminded me strongly of the Stargate SG1 guy, Teal'c. Jackson is no slouch either, but I'd like to see his 40 speed, slower than 4.55 would be a concern.

Pressure up front can help a secondary a lot, less time for the offense to execute and find holes in coverage.

We have some young talent in the secondary that I would like to see how they play with a decent pass rush aiding them. So for me pass rush is more important in the draft IMO.

16 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

I think a free agent vet corner would be a good fit for our young cb's, and young pass rushers would be good with our vet pass rushers. I've been thinking about Davenport RD1 and maybe Landry or Key RD 2.  

There are certainly options in veteran free agency at corner. It would make a later draft pick there more comfortable (3rd round onwards), keeping the first two rounds for picks elsewhere (which for me is Edge, WR). 

5 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There are certainly options in veteran free agency at corner. It would make a later draft pick there more comfortable (3rd round onwards), keeping the first two rounds for picks elsewhere (which for me is Edge, WR). 

I agree, I think there are a lot of free agent receivers that can come in and really help as well.

Given our current circumstance, I'm of the "We need a dominant pass rusher" mindset. If for no other reason than I'm sick to death of using 1st / 2nd round draft picks on CBs year after year - but I'll certainly leave it to out talent evaluators to make that determination (big of me eh?) - if such a pass rushing talent isnt available to us but a shutdown corner in waiting is - nab the shutdown and scramble for the edge rusher. We need both in order to succeed - but a play making edge rusher that closes down the pocket will make any DBs job easier.

I think the fear of no pass rushers being available is probably irrational. 

Chubb, Davenport, Edmunds, Landry and Key are all arguably worth the 14th overall pick, right?  

That's five pass rushers that have to last 14 picks in a draft that has two definite quarterbacks, probably three, possibly 4 taken in the top 14.  Then you add players like Fitzpatrick, James, Barkley, Ridley, Smith, Jackson, McGlinchey, Vea...

Again, I'd certainly be okay with drafting a defensive back.  Even a safety.  I'd be okay with any defensive game changer, but I also think it's quite certain we can count on one of the top five pass rushers being available when we pick. 

The problem I have with not going EDGE in round 1 is that after the first EDGE looks a lot scarier than other positions. CB and WR look pretty deep to me. Every mock I do on Fanspeak I see CB’s in the 3rd I like and WR’s all the way down to the 5th I like. EDGE, not so much.

Last, as a team, I feel we are still ascending and younger at CB and holding or declining at EDGE. 

13 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

I agree.  And Randall is still a question mark, being good his rookie year, then bad for a year and a half, then good the last half of the year. King looked like a good rookie but never know about him either. Definitely need to add another potential number 1 or 2 corner. 

Randall had a torn groin his second year. He couldn't run. He should have been placed on recallable IR, but with the lack of depth, it was not possible. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Randall for toughing it out. Given good health, he should be super next year. However, a third CB is still needed. I would rather have a higher rated CB than a lower rated Edge at #14. I don't like drafting lower rated players for need in the first round. That's a fast track to a mediocre roster. 

Archived