Upgrading secondary over Pass Rush?

Burnett42

12 hours ago, Kenrik said:

I'd rather have a dominate secondary than pass rush. Teams can throw the ball quickly and negate your pass rush. See our NFC championship game against Atlanta. Good coverage will force the QB into holding onto the ball longer amd taking a sack. Our current pass rush is average. The one recipe you dont want is poor secondary and pass rush.

When we won the superbowl our passrush was created by Woodson and the secondary making the QB hold the ball.

That's what I'm thinking. And what Pettine had done with Revis and Comartie. Think another corner be it free agents or in the first two rounds of the draft is the most important position for our defense. But if the best player on our board is pass rusher I wouldn't complain about it. 

37 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

Raji was a force back then creating havoc on o-lines and Clay was in or around his prime. We don't have anywhere near the pass rush now we had back then.

I do agree with you. But lets not forget about the ridiculously good secondary we had. Arguably 4 Packer HOFers back there. 

9 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

That's what I'm thinking. And what Pettine had done with Revis and Comartie. Think another corner be it free agents or in the first two rounds of the draft is the most important position for our defense. But if the best player on our board is pass rusher I wouldn't complain about it. 

Yup I'm 100% on board with that. Give me Chubb, Davenport, Ward in that order.

I’d personally like to see us try to upgrade the front 7 over secondary. There is the  replacement value argument (good rushers done become FAs, you can find a corner or DB). 

Then there is the argument that the only constant the last few years has been the mediocre pass rush. We’ve had talent in the secondary between high picks and guys who have left and played well (Hayward and Hyde).

I’m fine bringing in a decent vet to get minutes, but we have 3 guys (king, randall, Rollins) who have talent and are young. I’d like to see them with a different coach, another year, and pass rush 

We were the worst team covering teams number 1 WRs. That alone doesn't give me confidence in the guys we have unless King steps up, because we haven't seen enough of him yet.

I think even with a good pass rush teams will be able to get the ball out quick on our secondary without find a true number 1 cb. 

The one thing I can't get out of my head is the use of RB's in the passing game during the playoffs. It was the first thing I noticed during the first weekend of games and it continued throughout. I really think this could be the next evolution. It's yet another way of saying  "I don't care if you have Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor, we're not going to let you sack our 30 million dollar QB." Offenses are becoming so efficient with pre-snap reads and early recognition, maybe the smart teams are going to further exploit the "checkdown" as a way to keep your QB upright and stretch the defense horizontally. Let's face it, there were some teams in the playoffs that did some damage with less than stellar WR's and RB's seem to be the common denominator. Finding the next Tony Gonzales may transition to finding the next James White, and I think it's one more thing we are going to have to deal with.

So the question to you guys is, if I'm not completely off my rocker, how would this affect CB vs Edge ? I have no problem admitting that I'm not an X's and O's guy. 

Would we see trends to more zone coverage ?  Obviously, the faster LB thing has already started, but are we going to see that with Edge guys as well ? More Safeties playing LB is something we are seeing as well. 

I would love to hear your thoughts

I'm not sure how to even grade our secondary right now though when guys like Hyde, Hayward and even (partly washed) Tramon Williams have looked so good outside of Dom's scheme.  I think with evenly rated players you have to lean pass rush over secondary and lets see what we we've got with guys like King/Jones in their 2nd seasons.  Wouldn't hurt to go with a vet or 2 back there to force competition and cover for those guys not making a jump in the 2nd year.  Pass rush seems more like a young mans game though.

Just now, cannondale said:

The one thing I can't get out of my head is the use of RB's in the passing game during the playoffs. It was the first thing I noticed during the first weekend of games and it continued throughout. I really think this could be the next evolution. It's yet another way of saying  "I don't care if you have Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor, we're not going to let you sack our 30 million dollar QB." Offenses are becoming so efficient with pre-snap reads and early recognition, maybe the smart teams are going to further exploit the "checkdown" as a way to keep your QB upright and stretch the defense horizontally. Let's face it, there were some teams in the playoffs that did some damage with less than stellar WR's and RB's seem to be the common denominator. Finding the next Tony Gonzales may transition to finding the next James White, and I think it's one more thing we are going to have to deal with.

So the question to you guys is, if I'm not completely off my rocker, how would this affect CB vs Edge ? I have no problem admitting that I'm not an X's and O's guy. 

Would we see trends to more zone coverage ?  Obviously, the faster LB thing has already started, but are we going to see that with Edge guys as well ? More Safeties playing LB is something we are seeing as well. 

I would love to hear your thoughts

Love this question, and I think it deserves its own thread.  It's one of the biggest reasons I dislike Rodgers.  His numbers are completely insane, and yet he throws to the running back less than any other QB in the league. 

Everybody is all over Tom Brady, but Brady literally just takes what the defense gives him every single play.  Same with Brees. 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets/rb.php

Look at the running backs ranked by targets.  Could you imagine if McCaffrey was a Patriot?  He'd have 3,000 targets. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Love this question, and I think it deserves its own thread.  It's one of the biggest reasons I dislike Rodgers.  His numbers are completely insane, and yet he throws to the running back less than any other QB in the league. 

Everybody is all over Tom Brady, but Brady literally just takes what the defense gives him every single play.  Same with Brees. 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets/rb.php

Look at the running backs ranked by targets.  Could you imagine if McCaffrey was a Patriot?  He'd have 3,000 targets. 

There are questions to be answered about our offense as well with regard to the use of RB's

Archived