Upgrading secondary over Pass Rush?

Burnett42

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The thread was about CBs and EDGE, so I figured that's where you were going with it.  Even then, is a veteran WR really going to be worth the money?  In a situation where we sign a WR, we're likely releasing Randall Cobb so you have to add the $3M of dead cap we incur with him into part of the FA signing.  At what point does it cost too much money?  $3M, $6M, etc. for a FA WR plus the $3M for the Cobb dead hit?  Between that and the history we have of finding productive WRs in the draft, I think it's unlikely we sign any noteworthy WR FAs.

A rookie WR would need to be ready to be the #3 or possibly #2 in 2019.  That is asking a quite a lot.  Especially if it is a 3rd or later pick.

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

A rookie WR would need to be ready to be the #3 or possibly #2 in 2019.  That is asking a quite a lot.  Especially if it is a 3rd or later pick.

We've asked rookie WRs to be our #3 WR before, I don't see why this is any different.  And historically, we've been a Day 2 pick on our WRs so I figured that'd probably be the same.

@CWood21 While not worth the money the Packers are paying him, I would keep Cobb. I would be more inclined to cut Jordy, who is 5 years older, get a vet WR for a year, and draft a quality WR as Jordy's successor (I'm thinking round 2). I'd also be ok with keeping both Cobb, and Jordy at a reduced rate, for another year, forgoing the vet WR. Same scenario in the draft, get one in round 2. I see Montgomery as a RB, not a slot WR (though he has the versatility to stand in there at a pinch, if there is injury). Cobb's contract  ends anyway next year, so the Packers can re-sign him to another deal if they wish.

All things being equal, I'd prefer to have the RD1 pick spent at edge over CB.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see an edge prospect that looks like a good fit the #14 spot.  Ferrel was probably that guy until he decided to go back to Clemson.  I don't see anyone at #14 that really intrigues me right now, but the combine is always good for shaking up the mid-RD1 projections.

19 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@CWood21 While not worth the money the Packers are paying him, I would keep Cobb. I would be more inclined to cut Jordy, who is 5 years older, get a vet WR for a year, and draft a quality WR as Jordy's successor (I'm thinking round 2). I'd also be ok with keeping both Cobb, and Jordy at a reduced rate, for another year, forgoing the vet WR. Same scenario in the draft, get one in round 2. I see Montgomery as a RB, not a slot WR (though he has the versatility to stand in there at a pinch, if there is injury). Cobb's contract  ends anyway next year, so the Packers can re-sign him to another deal if they wish.

I'm more inclined to keep Jordy given the connection between he and Rodgers.  And unlike Cobb, he's not limited to the slot.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm more inclined to keep Jordy given the connection between he and Rodgers.  And unlike Cobb, he's not limited to the slot.

I understand where you are coming from, but for me the 5 years difference between to two guys is telling. Here is another piece about Cobb that you may not have seen. It is a 'good bits' review, but is interesting anyway. https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/film-review-should-the-packers-keep-randall-cobb-437

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I understand where you are coming from, but for me the 5 years difference between to two guys is telling. Here is another piece about Cobb that you may not have seen. It is a 'good bits' review, but is interesting anyway. https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/film-review-should-the-packers-keep-randall-cobb-437

I'm not sure either one is clearly better than the others.  They both have something different to offer.  I think the "best case" scenario would be an extension for Jordy that lowers his cap hit and extends him for another year or two, and let Cobb play out his contract.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure either one is clearly better than the others.  They both have something different to offer.  I think the "best case" scenario would be an extension for Jordy that lowers his cap hit and extends him for another year or two, and let Cobb play out his contract.

I'd be happy if that is how it turns out. I wouldn't mind letting Jordy go and picking up a younger vet, but keeping him another year looks like a workable option that should also keep Rodgers happy.

Archived