OL a bigger need than you think

dawgpound1816

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I will add though, I think our QB issues have exacerbated our issues at other positions.

Ever notice how Pittsburgh never seems to miss on a WR?  Maybe the guy throwing them the ball helps with that process?

Tom Brady wins Super Bowls with midgets and lepers at WR.

Drew Brees and Matt Ryan make guys not good enough to make our roster viable players (Snead and Gabriel).

I think if we get the QB locked down, other positions will magically get better in short order.

I think this song perfectly sums up the bolded statement, as well as the plight of the Cleveand Browns.  (I like the imagery of this video, but it would work just as well video clips of our QBOTF.

31 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

It's very strange that you interpreted my comment that way.

It's no more ridiculous than saying drafting a hall of fame guard at 4 could be a wasted pick. Minus weird conditionals one might throw on it (like every other player drafted top ten was a hall of famer that year so it was a wasted pick), drafting a hall of famer is a good pick every time. There aren't that many hall of famers in each draft class.

31 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It's no more ridiculous than saying drafting a hall of fame guard at 4 could be a wasted pick. Minus weird conditionals one might throw on it (like every other player drafted top ten was a hall of famer that year so it was a wasted pick), drafting a hall of famer is a good pick every time. There aren't that many hall of famers in each draft class.

Again, I did not call it a wasted pick.  If you have no idea what I meant by the comment, you could just ask ya know.  

17 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Ah

The yearly spend a high pick on o-line thread

I thought this hell was over after we kept using money and resources and picks on our OL and neglected places on our team that contributed to sacks touchdowns or turnovers and then we went 0-16

apparently hell is forever

The Browns need to plan now as if Joe Thomas will not be back.

Here is what I would do:

I know the brass will be reluctant to dump more money into the offensive line, but we have a treasure chest of available cap space. I would go sign  LG Andrew Norwell of the Carolina Panthers. Four year pro out of THE Ohio State University, he is 25 and really coming into his own as a starter. Dollars required to sign or the length of contract due to his young age should not be a problem.

I would then take previous LG Joel Bitonio and slide him back out to he college position where he excelled as a LT at Nevada.

That leaves you free to address any further OL needs in the draft. I have heard the Browns are pleased with the development so far of G/C Marcus Martin out of USC.

I think that by far is the least upheaval of positions along the line. The other route they may pursue is to target LT Michael Dieter of Wisconsin. Last time we took a Wisconsin LT it kinda worked out, huh?

22 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

The Browns need to plan now as if Joe Thomas will not be back.

Here is what I would do:

I know the brass will be reluctant to dump more money into the offensive line, but we have a treasure chest of available cap space. I would go sign  LG Andrew Norwell of the Carolina Panthers. Four year pro out of THE Ohio State University, he is 25 and really coming into his own as a starter. Dollars required to sign or the length of contract due to his young age should not be a problem.

I would then take previous LG Joel Bitonio and slide him back out to he college position where he excelled as a LT at Nevada.

That leaves you free to address any further OL needs in the draft. I have heard the Browns are pleased with the development so far of G/C Marcus Martin out of USC.

I think that by far is the least upheaval of positions along the line. The other route they may pursue is to target LT Michael Dieter of Wisconsin. Last time we took a Wisconsin LT it kinda worked out, huh?

If we thought Joel Bitonio could play LT, we wouldn't have put Spencer Drango there last year when Thomas got hurt.

I've got to imagine we will have Joe Thomas for at least 1 more year. And if he does leave, I don't know that we can address that need high this year anyways. This isn't the best OL draft in the world, especially for LT's. There are a bunch of power tackles, but not anyone that can blindside protect at an extremely high level. If Thomas does leave this off-season, I'd just slide Shon Coleman to LT and give Roderick Johnson a chance at RT. I always thought because of his length and athleticism that Shon Coleman was drafted to be Joe Thomas' replacement. Obviously I'd like a premier LT down the line, but that'd be my Joe Thomas retired emergency plan.

Unless Joe retires, then OL is not a big need. I don't know why people keep saying RT is a need, as I thought Coleman did a solid job starting this year. And there's no reason to think he won't continue to improve. Tretter is probably the weak link on the line, but even he's decent at worst.

If at some point in the draft there's a lineman that's simply too good to pass up, then sure, take him. But I don't think they NEED to address the offensive line unless Joe is going to retire.

21 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If a sure thing stud like Price fell lower then he should, and the value makes sense, for sure.

Apart from the uncertainty of JT returning, this is the key.

It is almost the same as the "take Barkley"  debate.

Is the gap between the player drafted at the higher pick so great that the higher pick would represent value?

If not, take your RB and OL guys in R2-3 or higher in trade up back into R1 and maximize the use of your assets.

9 hours ago, duke2056 said:

If a guard is drafted in the top 5 and becomes a hall of famer, it's still no lock that he was worth the pick.

Unless a lot players drafted after him at positions of relative need also make the HOF, which in this draft will not happen, I do not agree.

I think selecting HOF caliber talent at just about any position almost certainly would be worth the pick.

Archived