2017-18 College Football Scouting (Page 2)

Bobby816

THE VALUE OF A OFFENSIVE GUARD ????

In the last 24 years there has been only two guards drafted in the top seven overall picks in the first round.

Jonathan Ogden in 1996 who drafted as a guard but played O Tackle his whole career

Leo Davis  in 2001

This just shows you what GM's feel about the valve of a offensive guards

Thru this same period there has been two dozen Offensive tackles pick in the top seven picks. Over ten times more tackles than guards.

For a team like the Jets who are in dire need of skilled players, which we could get with our sixth pick in the draft, some of our Mock draft geniuses want to take a guard with our sixth overall pick. This is no knock against Nelson, but not for our six pick in the draft.

5 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Posting this here because it's noteworthy

DUUHOwJX4AEVsDA.jpg:large

I posted similar pff stats a while back when I was trying to defend Lamar's completion %,  bash Allen and highlight the risk Darnold is.

These stats are meaningful. But you do have to couple them with tape study. The argument against Mayfield is that he takes less risky throws. Those that back Allen say his receivers don't create separation and he is forced to take riskier throws. 

Idk. I still think Rosen and Mayfield will be the top two QB's from this draft. 

5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I posted similar pff stats a while back when I was trying to defend Lamar's completion %,  bash Allen and highlight the risk Darnold is.

These stats are meaningful. But you do have to couple them with tape study. The argument against Mayfield is that he takes less risky throws. Those that back Allen say his receivers don't create separation and he is forced to take riskier throws. 

Idk. I still think Rosen and Mayfield will be the top two QB's from this draft. 

A lot more is involved than just this stat. Like you stated Mayfield is running a spread Big 12 offense so of course his completition percentage is high. Look at Rudolph and Shimonek for similar examples. I’m trying to dig deep on thebguys ball placement on contested passes. That’s what matters. These wide open WRs they had in college isn’t going to happen often in the NFL. Are they accurate in tight windows is what I’m looking for. So far in my research Rosen sticks out as the best in this regard. He also makes more “NFL” type throws than the other guys. Which also gives him an edge so far. Still researching though.

Mike Mayock came out with his positional rankings. I read an article a while back how he is the most accurate mocker in the MSM. I think he was also interviewing for GM jobs.

Well he has Darnold as his number 1 QB followed by Allen. Aside from PFF, most of these major draft sites have Allen as the number 2 guy. 

32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot more is involved than just this stat. Like you stated Mayfield is running a spread Big 12 offense so of course his completition percentage is high. Look at Rudolph and Shimonek for similar examples. I’m trying to dig deep on thebguys ball placement on contested passes. That’s what matters. These wide open WRs they had in college isn’t going to happen often in the NFL. Are they accurate in tight windows is what I’m looking for. So far in my research Rosen sticks out as the best in this regard. He also makes more “NFL” type throws than the other guys. Which also gives him an edge so far. Still researching though.

Yeah I agree about Rosen, but what is so strange how many so called draft professional  on TV & the press don't have him going # 1. One thing is for sure there is not much hype about Rosen. But I can't see him dropping past the # 2 overall pick. With the exception of QB in the draft the rest of the draft positions is just average or below average on paper. But you never know  who will be the next star player will be. The NFL draft is a crap shoot and always has been a crap shoot.

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah I agree about Rosen, but what is so strange how many so called draft professional  on TV & the press don't have him going # 1. One thing is for sure there is not much hype about Rosen. But I can't see him dropping past the # 2 overall pick. With the exception of QB in the draft the rest of the draft positions is just average or below average on paper. But you never know  who will be the next star player will be. The NFL draft is a crap shoot and always has been a crap shoot.

John Dorsey, Clevelands GM, is known to not be a fan of Rosen.

47 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Rosen has some attitude issues. He has that I don’t give a crap attitude much like Cutler which is worrisome.

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Rosen has some attitude issues. He has that I don’t give a crap attitude much like Cutler which is worrisome.

He had a hot tub in his dorm room his freshman year. Haha. That's wild. But there's definitely some entitlement issues there. The best Jets QB of all-time wore a fur coat on the field. What's a hot tub compared to that?

The other thing is that NFL teams don't really want players who are vocal politically. He will be vocal on non football related stuff when he is in the NFL.

This is why I don't see the Giants going Rosen. I think Allen and Darnold are the first two QB's off the board. If the Browns go Darnold, I think the Giants will go Allen or vice versa. 

Archived