2017-18 College Football Scouting (Page 2)

Bobby816

21 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I think he is a boom/bust guy.  I don't mean in terms of career, I mean from play to play.  There aren't many guys with a more impressive HL package than Barkley (Lamar is the only one really).  But Barkley has the largest disparity between his HL's and his regular game tape of anyone.  I think he would be an absolute home run pick if he could still pick up 5 yards in a cloud of dust on his non HL plays, but he doesn't.  He stops and tries to turn everything into a home run, and fails a ton.  For the run first team that we want to be that is just a drive killer.  He has top 10 talent for sure, but not top 10 play in play out results on the field.  I would be pretty disappointed if we took him at 6.

I don’t really agree with that but that’s not what I want to address. What I’ll want to address about that is better OLine play and coaching. He at times bounced runs outside bc of such bad OLine play. If we can make the OLine better than he won’t feel the need to bounce things outside. Coaching also will make him consistent. Vision, speed, agility, strength are not issues with him. I think it wasn’t a skill flaw as much as he was the best player on the field every game and at times tried doing too much. That’s coachable. And his ypc will go up with better OLine play. You watch him on film and he is a can’t miss prospect. And he’s done that for 3 years straight. It’s not a small sample size.

32 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I think he is a boom/bust guy.  I don't mean in terms of career, I mean from play to play.  There aren't many guys with a more impressive HL package than Barkley (Lamar is the only one really).  But Barkley has the largest disparity between his HL's and his regular game tape of anyone.  I think he would be an absolute home run pick if he could still pick up 5 yards in a cloud of dust on his non HL plays, but he doesn't.  He stops and tries to turn everything into a home run, and fails a ton.  For the run first team that we want to be that is just a drive killer.  He has top 10 talent for sure, but not top 10 play in play out results on the field.  I would be pretty disappointed if we took him at 6.

I agree that he's definitely boom or bust.  I think he's either a top 5 RB or a bust.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t really agree with that but that’s not what I want to address. What I’ll want to address about that is better OLine play and coaching. He at times bounced runs outside bc of such bad OLine play. If we can make the OLine better than he won’t feel the need to bounce things outside. Coaching also will make him consistent. Vision, speed, agility, strength are not issues with him. I think it wasn’t a skill flaw as much as he was the best player on the field every game and at times tried doing too much. That’s coachable. And his ypc will go up with better OLine play. You watch him on film and he is a can’t miss prospect. And he’s done that for 3 years straight. It’s not a small sample size.

I think he will bring value to the team that drafts him I just wonder if it is top 10 pick value.  I honestly think most of his real value will come in the passing game.  He has good hands and getting him in space is where he really shines.  He is much better in that situation than running between the tackles.  I don't think he has great visiion or decisiveness as a runner.  If a play isn't going to pan out the guy has to man up and lower his hat and take what he can get.  I just think Barkley doesn't do that enough.  5.7 career yards per carry just isn't impressive for a college RB who is supposed to be dominant.

Penn State's line in 2017 was actually very good.  Garbage over the two years prior though.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I am sure he will be drafted by the third pick in the draft. Right now he is getting more play than any of the QB's in the draft. He is going to be hard for any team to pass on.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:58 PM, rampantjet said:

I think he will bring value to the team that drafts him I just wonder if it is top 10 pick value.  I honestly think most of his real value will come in the passing game.  He has good hands and getting him in space is where he really shines.  He is much better in that situation than running between the tackles.  I don't think he has great visiion or decisiveness as a runner.  If a play isn't going to pan out the guy has to man up and lower his hat and take what he can get.  I just think Barkley doesn't do that enough.  5.7 career yards per carry just isn't impressive for a college RB who is supposed to be dominant.

Stop. Barkley is a stud.  Nearly 6 yds per carry not impressive? C'mon man.  AP averaged 5.4 yds per carry in college. Le'veon Bell averaged 5.0 per carry in college. 

Thank You!!!

nope.  Ram is correct about that part.

Anything below than 6 does not warrant top 5.  And it does not mean he won't succeed in NFL.  Take Curtis Martin for example.  He had 5.1 and was taken in 3rd round.  Heck, Bell was taken in 2nd, thanking to his 5 mark.

Fournette and Elliott had over 6 marks. They went top 5.  Barkley being below 6 mark is about to be taken in top 5/6?  Ha!

That is for as far as statistic goes, I am sorry, Ram is right.   It doesn't matter to me because RB is not top prioritized position for Jets.

51 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

nope.  Ram is correct about that part.

Anything below than 6 does not warrant top 5.  And it does not mean he won't succeed in NFL.  Take Curtis Martin for example.  He had 5.1 and was taken in 3rd round.  Heck, Bell was taken in 2nd, thanking to his 5 mark.

Fournette and Elliott had over 6 marks. They went top 5.  Barkley being below 6 mark is about to be taken in top 5/6?  Ha!

That is for as far as statistic goes, I am sorry, Ram is right.   It doesn't matter to me because RB is not top prioritized position for Jets.

You can say that all you want. But the fact is more than likely Barkley won’t even be there at 6 for us to even decide on bc that’s how good the whole nfl thinks he is. Not just jets fans. Most scouts have him as the #1 guy in the whole draft based on talent. So to say he’s not worthy of a top 6 pick when he infact is more than likely the best player in the draft, isn’t looking at reality. Hence why he might not be there at 6.

Archived