My realistic hope for next season

Warhorse

I have been following the Colts for decades. The team has been up, down, up, down, up, down, up down....etc. The reality is, the odds of winning a SB (if everything were even) would be once every 32 years. Not very good odds for those folks who spout dreams of winning 2-4 SB's in the near future. Let's say that half of those teams are not as competent as the Colts....that makes it once every 16 years. Because we won one in 2006, that means we are due in the next 4 years or so. Seems quite plausible to me. However, it isn't about SB's to me. It's about being relevant. The Colts have had 3 losing seasons in 19 years. I just want to get back to where we were talked about, recognized on prime time, and feared on the football field. Anything else is gravy

So, what this is about, is what should next year look like? We have seen what too good too fast resulted in. Unrealistic expectation, GM and coach failure, over the top fandom, etc. Even if we were to have a great or fantastic season next year, we dont have the roster to maintain it. What I would like to see, is 3-5 solid pieces added to the long term foundation of this team. I want to see better execution, sustained attention to detail. and better overall team health. 

I want to see the team fight for the top of the division. I don't think it will be next year, but i want to see the rest of the division nervous about playing us again. 

I feel like right now we are the fourth best team in the division. With the right addition of players we could overtake the Titans for third.

I think the Jaguars could hurt themselves in the next 3-4 years not only because of Bortles but they have a few guys with huge cap numbers that will force them to decide to cut guys in order to remain under the cap. 

The Texans are going to be tougher to beat. They have the only other legit QB in the division, sorry Mariota, and a tough defense. Even with Watt getting up there in age and injured the last couple years they still have Mercilus and Clowney. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree. I think we are 4th from 4 right now but that's to be expected. 

We have a QB who, when on the field is awesome but that's the question. Whether he will be back on the field or not and how soon he can return.

We're in full on transition/rebuilding mode, whatever you want to call it but I believe with Ballard as GM and Reich as HC we'll be on the up trend in the seasons to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived