Padres sign 1B Eric Hosmer

flyguy1609

So it’s 5/$105 and if he doesn’t opt it’s 3/39. It like it for the padres. Does put a huge logjam at OF with Myers going back there. Pierla, Myers, renfroe, Margot, Jankowski, Dickerson and Cordero. Margot and Myers start/stay. I could see them shopping the rest aside from Cordero who they love.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Finally! Probably didnt get as much as he wanted. He likely opts out though right? 3 years and 39 mill is like nothing in baseball

I have to think the $13M AAV in the last three years of the deal was the sacrifice Hosmer had to make in order to get the full eight years. If he for some reason flames out by his age 32 season, he has $39M to bank on. If he's still a good player, he can easily beat 3/$39M on the open market. This looks like a really good deal for both sides.

56 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

could you explain? I think its a pretty good move personally...

There are many reasons for me, but the main 2 are that the Padres are nowhere close to contending yet and Hosmer just isn't that good.  He's had 7 seasons in the bigs, and hasn't amassed 10 fWAR.  Hosmer got himself a good deal (a great one in this market), but that's a giant headscratcher from the team's perspective.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

There are many reasons for me, but the main 2 are that the Padres are nowhere close to contending yet and Hosmer just isn't that good.  He's had 7 seasons in the bigs, and hasn't amassed 10 fWAR.  Hosmer got himself a good deal (a great one in this market), but that's a giant headscratcher from the team's perspective.

Plus his average power is going to be even worse in Petco, and the signing makes the Padres worse in the OF with Wil Myers going there. He is absolutely awful there.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

it cant be both ways though, this is a team showing tehy want to compete and signed one of the better bats available. People complain that too many teams are tanking and teh fa market is too soft and then when a team signs someone its a headscratcher. DO we want this to be like the NBA where theres like 10 teams trying to actually be good and everyone else is dumping any tradable asset they have to rebuild?

If you believe that Hosmer has enough good contact to maintain a .330ish BABIP, then hes likely a 3+ war player and makes that a much more formidable lineup. if you think .330 is flukey and then hes not worth it. But for a fairly reasonable deal why not take a shot on a player that could still develop some, hes only 28?

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

it cant be both ways though, this is a team showing tehy want to compete and signed one of the better bats available. People complain that too many teams are tanking and teh fa market is too soft and then when a team signs someone its a headscratcher. DO we want this to be like the NBA where theres like 10 teams trying to actually be good and everyone else is dumping any tradable asset they have to rebuild?

If you believe that Hosmer has enough good contact to maintain a .330ish BABIP, then hes likely a 3+ war player and makes that a much more formidable lineup. if you think .330 is flukey and then hes not worth it. But for a fairly reasonable deal why not take a shot on a player that could still develop some, hes only 28?

Taking a shot is one thing, paying him this much over 5 years with a player option (albeit not that bad) for another 3 is something else. We know what Eric Hosmer is, and he isn’t someone you should throw a bunch of money and years at.

10 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Taking a shot is one thing, paying him this much over 5 years with a player option (albeit not that bad) for another 3 is something else. We know what Eric Hosmer is, and he isn’t someone you should throw a bunch of money and years at.

in all seriousness, what is he? is he a 3 win player like he has been half his career, or is he almost a  negative win player like hes been the other half?

Archived