Twins acquire RHP Jake Odorizzi

Eagles27

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He shouldn't be a giveaway though.

I'm guessing Palacios is another one of those guys that a FO likes way more than others, combined with there simply not being any good offers for Odorizzi out there. He was getting moved no matter what, given his salary and lack of team control, so you have to assume they shopped him hard. 

10 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm guessing Palacios is another one of those guys that a FO likes way more than others, combined with there simply not being any good offers for Odorizzi out there. He was getting moved no matter what, given his salary and lack of team control, so you have to assume they shopped him hard. 

He is the Rays' type but I mean he was the 4th or 5th best SS prospect in that farm system.

15 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

He was a league average starter without upside who bottomed out last year, but is only due $6M for a year of control. I'm not saying there should have been a top 100 prospect coming back, but the Twins gave up the 2nd prospect in what would be a normal package and didn't have to give up the 1st once.

At the price the Rays got Odorizzi, he should have been considered a non-tender candidate.

This is a really underwhelming report:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/scouting-new-rays-prospect-jermaine-palacios/

He’s a shortstop prospect but isn’t such a good defender that he’ll profile without providing dome offensive value, too. Whether or not that happens will depend on how his approach and general baseball acumen matures. If it doesn’t, he looks more like a utility guy, and he might be that anyway with Willy Adames in the farm system. Look for Palacios to start playing positions other than shortstop, which he hasn’t done since 2015.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He was a league average starter without upside who bottomed out last year, but is only due $6M for a year of control. I'm not saying there should have been a top 100 prospect coming back, but the Twins gave up the 2nd prospect in what would be a normal package and didn't have to give up the 1st once.

At the price the Rays got Odorizzi, he should have been considered a non-tender candidate.

I'm certainly not saying they got anything great, but even a chance at a utility player at pre-arb prices is better than non-tendering him.  I'm just fairly certain there wasn't a market for Odorizzi.  Nobody is going to give anything of value for Odorizzi when the FA market is still saturated with guys that are on Odorizzi's level, cost only money (probably the same as Odorizzi will earn), and would come with the same team control.  There will always be a market for difference-making pitching, but Odorizzi doesn't fall under that.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm certainly not saying they got anything great, but even a chance at a utility player at pre-arb prices is better than non-tendering him.  I'm just fairly certain there wasn't a market for Odorizzi.  Nobody is going to give anything of value for Odorizzi when the FA market is still saturated with guys that are on Odorizzi's level, cost only money (probably the same as Odorizzi will earn), and would come with the same team control.  There will always be a market for difference-making pitching, but Odorizzi doesn't fall under that.

It's not really a whole lot different than non-tendering him.

And yeah, in this market, maybe that's what it should have been. But do we really want to justify this market right now? This is so far beyond out of whack.

$6M for a back-end starter, okay, but even if you have a good roster, $6M and a dummy prospect is worth a gamble on the chance that you could move him to the bullpen and see his velocity spike. 

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not really a whole lot different than non-tendering him.

And yeah, in this market, maybe that's what it should have been. But do we really want to justify this market right now? This is so far beyond out of whack.

$6M for a back-end starter, okay, but even if you have a good roster, $6M and a dummy prospect is worth a gamble on the chance that you could move him to the bullpen and see his velocity spike. 

Couldn't agree more.  If he blew up in the pen, he could have fetched something much better at the deadline.  That would have also still opened up the rotation spot for Honeywell.  But it wouldn't have been able to put $6 million back in the owners' pocket, which was quite clearly the driving force behind moving Odorizzi.  

Archived