Your Top 5 CBM Villains

titansNvolsR#1

Saw the back and forth about DC vs Marvel movie villains and thought it'd be a decent thread. You can rank by portrayal or favorite. 

For me: 

1. Joker - Heath Ledger
  2. Zod - Michael Shannon
  3. Loki - Tom Hiddleston
  4. Magneto - Ian McKellan
  5. Penguin - Danny DeVito/Doc Ock - Alfred Molina

Figure Zod will be the one most people take issue with. Or Penguin. Note that I wasn't a fan of MBJ as Killmonger.

1. Tom Hardy's Bane.  As far as acting performance,  Ledger's Joker was better, but Bane was the better villain.  The Joker's only threat was chaos and unpredictability.  He was literally just toying with Batman.  Bane is one of the best comic book heroes ever created because not only is he the physical threat, he's wildly intelligent, too. 

2. Ledger's Joker.  Iconic in every way, he stole literally every scene he was in and stole a movie. 

3. McKellen's Magneto.  McKellen's Magneto and Jackman's Wolverine are the only two reasons I'm upset the X-Men universe wasn't done well. 

4. Weaving's Red Skull.  Weaving is one of the most underrated actors alive, and so was his Red Skull.

5. D'Onofrio's Kingpin.  His performance was a film performance wasted in a TV series. 

I would have agreed with you about Bane...except the twist in the movie with Talia really dampened his final impact.  There was only 1 throwaway line in the movie that even hinted he had any intelligence (when he said "5...by my calculations" when talking about the bomb going off) beyond being a love struck puppy who did as his crush permitted.

1.  The Joker in The Dark Knight
2.  Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2
3.  Loki in Thor/The Avengers
The Joker in Batman
Magneto in X-Men

Honorable Mentions: The Vulture, General Zod (Man of Steel), Ra's al Ghul

1. Joker-The Dark Knight

2. Magneto: X-Men: Both iterations

3. Bane: The Dark Knight Rises

4. Winter Soldier: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Ozymandias: Watchmen

HM: Ra's Al Ghul, Doc Oc, Red Skull, The Lizard, Obadiah Stane

If TV series counted: Kilgrave, Deathstroke and Prometheus probably jump in my top 5.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

1. Joker-The Dark Knight

2. Magneto: X-Men: Both iterations

3. Bane: The Dark Knight Rises

4. Winter Soldier: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Ozymandias: Watchmen

HM: Ra's Al Ghul, Doc Oc, Red Skull, The Lizard, Obadiah Stane

If TV series counted: Kilgrave, Deathstroke and Prometheus probably jump in my top 5.

I love Watchmen and thought about adding Ozymandias, but the actor is so wooden that I couldn't do it.

Mine doesn't really vary too much from what others have posted. Seems to be a consensus on at least a couple.

1. The Joker; Dark Knight
2. Magneto; X-Men Trilogy
3. Dr. Octopus; Spider-Man 2
4. Loki; MCU
5. Bane; Dark Knight Rises

HM: Scarecrow and Ra's (Batman Begins), Ozymandias (Watchmen), Baron Zemo (Civil War), Red Skull (Captain America)

I've caught crap before for being fond of Zemo, but I stand by it. Need more time to think on Killmonger. I liked his character, but it still bothers me that the first half of the movie was pointless for him. I remember being fond of some of the old Superman villains as a kid, but it's been so long since I've watched any of those movies that I can't include them. Winter Soldier is an excellent character but I struggle to rank him as a villain. He was excellent in Winter Soldier, but I feel like a lot of what makes him so great is his overall story arc, not just his time as a villain. And he's not like Loki who is a villain who sometimes cooperates, he was just an occasionally corrupted hero. On Bane, I'll echo what some have said. He could be #2 if not for his character's motivation. Hardy did a stellar job, the writing just held it back a touch.

If we extend this to include the whole MCU, Purple Man and Kingpin jump way up there. But TV shows get more time to flesh the villain out, so they arguably should be better.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I love Watchmen and thought about adding Ozymandias, but the actor is so wooden that I couldn't do it.

I'd never read the graphic novel so the first time I saw it I was blown away by the character. Fair call on the actor though.

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I would have agreed with you about Bane...except the twist in the movie with Talia really dampened his final impact.  There was only 1 throwaway line in the movie that even hinted he had any intelligence (when he said "5...by my calculations" when talking about the bomb going off) beyond being a love struck puppy who did as his crush permitted.

1.  The Joker in The Dark Knight
2.  Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2
3.  Loki in Thor/The Avengers
The Joker in Batman
Magneto in X-Men

Honorable Mentions: The Vulture, General Zod (Man of Steel), Ra's al Ghul

I like this.

Ozymandias is a good call as well.

Obadiah Stane was great in Iron Man 1 as well.  

And if we are going beyond superheroes.....Ma'ma in Dredd was done very well too.

Bane was done well for what it was in TDKR, but it didnt really feel like Bane.   Beyond that, he turned out to be a glorified henchman in the end.    

The entire 3rd act of TDKR kind of ruined the movie for me.  It was that bad IMO.     

Archived