Your Top 5 CBM Villains

titansNvolsR#1

Kind of surprised at the hate for Bane tbh. Just because his motivation strung from his feelings for Miranda didn't make his acts of violence any less impactful.

I agree it would've been better had he been the head of the group, but he definitely wasn't just some henchman.

My 5 is probably pretty similar to those listed.

1. The Joker (Heath Ledger)
2. Loki
3. Magneto
4. Bane
5. General Zod

HM: Zemo,  Killmonger. MBJ killed it and it was one of the rare MCU villains with an arc.

18 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Obadiah Stane was great in Iron Man 1 as well.  

He really gets shafted when he gets lumped in with all the other "mirror" villains that Marvel has done. He was the original and it worked so well. Plus him being a surrogate father, turning on Tony was great. That movie isnt as good as it was without Jeff Bridges performance.

I would actually say, of Phase 1 in the MCU they went 4/6 with the movie's Villains. Obadiah in Iron Man, Red Skull in Captain America, and Loki in the Avengers were all home runs.

I know Whiplash wasnt what he should have been in IM2 (it was a cool visual though), but Rockwell killed it as Justin Hammer, and him commissioning the Drone Army was solid for a big battle, 1/2 credit there. Thor left alot to be desired with the Ice Giants, and while Loki was hindered a bit by using the Destroyer, he was still very good on the deception and probably gets another 1/2 credit for this movie. And Incredible Hulk was...meh

Joker/TDK

Loki/MCU

Bane/TDK:R

Magneto/Original X-Men franchise

Magneto/Reboot X-Men franchise

To be honest, I think I have Fassbender ranked lower than he should be. His overall turns in FC and DoFP was brilliant.

Also - Aaron Eckhart as Two Face was great. He's overshadowed by Ledger, but he was awesome at the end as the mad DA.. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

He really gets shafted when he gets lumped in with all the other "mirror" villains that Marvel has done. He was the original and it worked so well. Plus him being a surrogate father, turning on Tony was great. That movie isnt as good as it was without Jeff Bridges performance.

I would actually say, of Phase 1 in the MCU they went 4/6 with the movie's Villains. Obadiah in Iron Man, Red Skull in Captain America, and Loki in the Avengers were all home runs.

I know Whiplash wasnt what he should have been in IM2 (it was a cool visual though), but Rockwell killed it as Justin Hammer, and him commissioning the Drone Army was solid for a big battle, 1/2 credit there. Thor left alot to be desired with the Ice Giants, and while Loki was hindered a bit by using the Destroyer, he was still very good on the deception and probably gets another 1/2 credit for this movie. And Incredible Hulk was...meh

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

Kind of surprised at the hate for Bane tbh. Just because his motivation strung from his feelings for Miranda didn't make his acts of violence any less impactful.

I agree it would've been better had he been the head of the group, but he definitely wasn't just some henchman.

Where is he getting "hate"?    Only two people have been remotely negative about Bane, and neither of us claimed we hated the character.     Just pointed out what weakened the character.

Talia was pulling his strings the entire time.  He just executed her plan.   Yes, he was a badass in many ways, but in many ways, yes....he was a henchman.    You could argue none of the plan was his aside from maybe getting Catwoman to lead Batman to him.

For Nolan's trilogy, that version of Bane was fine.....but I definitely didnt love him, especially by the end.

But like I said.....the 3rd act of TDKR was garbage IMO, and seriously cast a cloud over the rest of the movie, all the characters, and to a point....the entire trilogy.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:
10 hours ago, JonStark said:

Where is he getting "hate"?    Only two people have been remotely negative about Bane, and neither of us claimed we hated the character.     Just pointed out what weakened the character.

Talia was pulling his strings the entire time.  He just executed her plan.   Yes, he was a badass in many ways, but in many ways, yes....he was a henchman.    You could argue none of the plan was his aside from maybe getting Catwoman to lead Batman to him.

For Nolan's trilogy, that version of Bane was fine.....but I definitely didnt love him, especially by the end.

But like I said.....the 3rd act of TDKR was garbage IMO, and seriously cast a cloud over the rest of the movie, all the characters, and to a point....the entire trilogy.

To add to this, as a comic book fan boy, I thought Nolan was finally going to give me the Bane ive always read about. The one he is 100% his own leader whose strategic mastery is rivaled by only Batman. The last outing for Bane was in the comedy that was Batman and Robin and he was a mindless lap dog to poison ivy of all people. So to sit through that movie (despite the rumors of Tailia being in the film) thinking OMG HES GIVEN US THE REAL BANE only for them to reveal he was Tailia's lap dog was a serious slap in the face. Especially because he was so good up until that point. 

I don't think Bane was as big a lap dog as people are making him out to be.  In the end he was loyal to her and working with her, but there was nothing that said she was the mastermind planning everything, and there was plenty said about how everybody feared Bane.  A lot of projection going on with that character and people assuming Talia did it all. 

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't think Bane was as big a lap dog as people are making him out to be.  In the end he was loyal to her and working with her, but there was nothing that said she was the mastermind planning everything, and there was plenty said about how everybody feared Bane.  A lot of projection going on with that character and people assuming Talia did it all. 

I dont disagree with you. Its less the degree and more that it strikes deep due to the past depiction and how much that stung. To have his motivations wrapped up in the machinations of another villianess just seemed cruel. 

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Joker/TDK

Loki/MCU

Bane/TDK:R

Magneto/Original X-Men franchise

Magneto/Reboot X-Men franchise

To be honest, I think I have Fassbender ranked lower than he should be. His overall turns in FC and DoFP was brilliant.

Also - Aaron Eckhart as Two Face was great. He's overshadowed by Ledger, but he was awesome at the end as the mad DA.. 

Agree that Eckhart was great as Two face, but he was only around for a few minutes in that movie.  Should have kept him around a bit more.

Mine:

Ledger's Joker  TDK

Bane TDKR

Doc Oc

Magneto (both actors nailed it)

Jack Nicholson's Joker

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont disagree with you. Its less the degree and more that it strikes deep due to the past depiction and how much that stung. To have his motivations wrapped up in the machinations of another villianess just seemed cruel. 

I definitely agree with you about where you're coming from, too.  That Talia twist was something everybody saw and should have just been dropped.  Bane was fine all on his own and he deserved all the glory. 

9 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Agree that Eckhart was great as Two face, but he was only around for a few minutes in that movie.  Should have kept him around a bit more.

I think that you saw traces of that decent to madness early on in the movie. Now, part of that is the scripting - but part of it is Eckhart completely owns the character and role in that respect. 

I wish we could have had more - but a District Attorney turn true criminal would have been disingenuous to the arc of a "realistic" Batman franchise. He was a villain, but it was a singular decent into villainy prompted by loss - not a prolonged, planned dive into it.

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think that you saw traces of that decent to madness early on in the movie. Now, part of that is the scripting - but part of it is Eckhart completely owns the character and role in that respect. 

I wish we could have had more - but a District Attorney turn true criminal would have been disingenuous to the arc of a "realistic" Batman franchise. He was a villain, but it was a singular decent into villainy prompted by loss - not a prolonged, planned dive into it.

In order to do Batman true justice, there needs to be a high budget TV series that goes on for like 8 seasons,    They are trying to do that to a point with Gotham, but it fails miserably.   

If you had a show like that....you could fully explore Batman as a character and his amazing rogues gallery.   You could spend 4 of those 8 seasons on the Joker alone.     

Movies have to cut corners and overlook things to be able to cram it all in, even into a trilogy.    Two Face was awesome in TDK, but he was used more as a plot device than a fleshed out character.    It was still done well, but it wouldve been awesome to see how his character progressed if he had lived past the events of TDK.    Again, however, even if they had, Two Face is a character that could carry his own as a singular villain.....alot of the Batman rogues gallery could..

Sorry for veering a bit off topic, but I always wanted to see this happen....although it never will.  

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In order to do Batman true justice, there needs to be a high budget TV series that goes on for like 8 seasons,    They are trying to do that to a point with Gotham, but it fails miserably.   

If you had a show like that....you could fully explore Batman as a character and his amazing rogues gallery.   You could spend 4 of those 8 seasons on the Joker alone.     

Movies have to cut corners and overlook things to be able to cram it all in, even into a trilogy.    Two Face was awesome in TDK, but he was used more as a plot device than a fleshed out character.    It was still done well, but it wouldve been awesome to see how his character progressed if he had lived past the events of TDK.    Again, however, even if they had, Two Face is a character that could carry his own as a singular villain.....alot of the Batman rogues gallery could..

Sorry for veering a bit off topic, but I always wanted to see this happen....although it never will.  

With Batman's rogue gallery you wouldn't need the Joker to be the big bad of 4 seasons. Bane, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, Two-face, Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Penguin, and The Court of Owls could all easily carry a full season of their own. Red Hood, Catowoman, Hush, Clayface, Poison Ivy, Mad Hatter, Hugo Strange could all have major roles too. I know you weren't necessarily suggesting that but a properly done Batman (Spider-Man too) TV series would be the greatest thing ever due to all the awesome villains you could feature.

Archived