NickGB Mock Offseason V1

Nick_gb

*** DISCLAIMER ***

Some of the round projections may be off as this is a template of about where I'm currently projecting or seeing players projected pre-combine testing. Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure that the Packers go crazy in Free Agency with the names I've placed down this is merely what I would think would make the biggest difference for a 2018 Packers team compared to a 2017 Packers team, both defensively and offensively. 

Packers Resigns:

1. Jeff Janis - He's a core special teams player and should be relatively cheap in regards to this.
Contract: 2 Years - $3 Million
Cap Hit: $1.5 Million

2. Quinton Dial - Nice rotational big on the roster.
Contract: 1 Year - $1 Million
Cap Hit: $1 Million

3. Brett Goode - Underrated ST player for GB
Contract: 1 Year $1 Million
Cap Hit: $1 Million

Total Cap used: $3.5 Million

Packers Restructuring / Extensions:

1. CM3 - I know there's a lot of people clamoring to cut him because he isn't living up to his contract but I just don't see that happening. Honestly? I feel like this may even be a stretch but I'm going to trust Ball and them can convince him he's a better player on a snap count watch as opposed to full time player and hope that's enough to convince him to help the team here.
Cap Savings: $2.5 Million

2. Randall Cobb - I'm going to sign him to a longer term deal, again I know it's pretty popular to cut him but an NBLTE incentive contract extension here makes sense on both sides and helps with some of that cap relief.
Cap Savings: $5 Million

3. Brian Bulaga - This is another player I think the Packers look at to save some money and probably a little more realistic then the CM3 option with Spriggs waiting in the wings and his injury history.
Cap Savings: $2.5 Million

Total Cap Saved: $10 Million

Packers Cuts:
1. Jordy Nelson - This just makes far too much sense here, I know people are probably going to throw a fit about this but he just isn't worth the money we are paying him and it makes far more sense to keep the 27 year old Cobb over the 32 Year old Jordy Nelson. Also less dead money in this cut over a Randall Cobb cut.
Cap Savings: $10.1 Million (Dead Cap - 2.3 Million)

2. Brett Hundley - The writing is on the wall here, he just didn't live up to the preseason hype when we needed him last year.
Cap Savings: 705k
Cap Savings: $10.85 Million
Free Agency Period:

Cap Prior to Roster moves: $23 Million
Cap After Roster Moves: $40.4 Million

1.  GettyImages_505428994_1_ymcxswpi_on82ftn  
 *** TRADE ALERT ***
Packers heard that teams weren't willing to trade for Aqib Talib due to the fact that he's actively being traded and the thought is he'll likely be cut anyway. Looking at his contract the Packers surrender a 2019 conditional 4th Round Pick to acquire his services knowing he's worth $19 Million over the next 2 years based off what top flight corners have been getting paid on the open Market.
Cap Hit: $11 Million - New Cap: $29.4 Million

Image result for Jimmy Graham
2. Jimmy Graham, TE  - The Packers just cut Jordy Nelson and now they get him a reliable target in Jimmy Graham and keep their QB happy. 3 years / $22.5 Million
Cap hit: $7.5 million - New Cap: $21.9 Million

trent-murphy-vs-cowboys.png?itok=JC_rKcG
3. Trent Murphy, EDGE - This contract is going to be hard to predict as he's coming off both an ACL and MCL tear and hasn't played football in a year. I'm going with a 1 year prove it incentive laden deal at 4.5 Million.
Cap hit: 4.5 Million - New Cap: $17.4 Million 

Image result for Demario Davis

4. Demario Davis, ILB - I really struggled with his value here and went back and forth on if adding him would be the correct move with $17.4 Million in cap available and still having the draft ahead. However, after reading over the cap and their predictions on what his market will likely be and looking up the top 10 ILB yearly salary, I felt it was too good to pass up and decided to throw him in the mock.  2 year / $4.25 Million 

Remaining Salary: $13.15 Million

Note: There are still moves that could be made in terms of restructures / extensions etc. that could push that cap relief to a higher number and create a bigger pool of roll over money a back loaded Aaron Rodgers contract for example. 

2018 NFL Draft Commences:

599538614-florida-state-v-mississippi.jp
                                                                                          Round 1: Derwin James, S, FSU

I'm a huge Derwin James, fan. I believe he immediately improves our secondary and really becomes a nice chess piece for Pettine. He has the ability to cover TE's, Rush the Passer and delivers some pretty big hits. I think him and Dix, form a formidable safety duo. I know that everyone is clamoring EDGE with round 1 but I addressed it in Free Agency and we aren't done yet. Plus, Derwin brings a little pass rush himself to the defense as well. 

dorance-armstrong-1499308744.jpeg

Round 2: Dorance Armstrong Jr. Kansas 

This is a prospect that is flying a bit under the radar and will likely continue to do so due to his down 2017 Season but that wasn't because of him. He was the lone bright spot on that Kansas City defense and is a year removed from a strong season. He has all the tools you look for in an EDGE and imo truly is a 1st round talent that is getting over looked currently.

Dorance Armstrong Jr.*, 3-4OLB, Kansas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 241.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

2/3/18: Armstrong has an excellent skill set, but it was hard for him to illustrate in 2017 because the team around him was so bad. Opponents were able neutralize him with double teams and plays going away from him while taking advantage of the lack of talent elsewhere on the Kansas defense. As a result, Armstrong may be more of a second-day talent for the 2018 NFL Draft. In 2017, Armstrong totaled 63 tackles with 9.5 for a loss, two sacks, four forced fumbles and four passes batted. He is a fast edge defender with very good athleticism.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB3-4.php#ixzz57NjplVBy

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB3-4.php#kAeYBQGHMbAbyJU4.9
Image result for Michael Gallup
Round 3A: Michael Gallup, WR Colorado State

Gallup is EVERYTHING the Packers look for in a Wide Receiver. I'm a HUGE fan of his game and truly believe he'll be a difference maker in Green Bay and find himself shortly becoming a favorite of Aaron Rodgers. After letting go of Jordy Nelson while also being able to make the case to potentially let go of Cobb, the Packers start stocking the cupboards again and provide their All-Star QB some weapons.

Image result for Josh Sweat Florida State
                       Round 3B: Josh Sweat, EDGE, Florida State

This is a mere dart throw but he was once the Nations #1 recruit coming out of High School, a dislocated Knee and torn ACL have caused him some medical issues and it's been reported that Florida tried a number of different things to help that knee out but nothing seemed to react to it. When healthy though, he is extremely talented. Green Bay will get it's Medical staff in on attempting to find something to get medically help that knee into a 2nd contract but for now they get a good Edge who will be beneficial on a Snap count much like CM3 (the snap count similarities nothing more there)

Image result for Holton Hill Texas
                                                 Round 4: Holton Hill, CB, Texas

If not for his suspension for violating team rules (reported failed drug test). I'm not sure he's here. He shut down some of the nations top wideouts, and stands at 6'3 he's literally everything you want in a boundary corner but with some character concerns. He often states "he looks forward to going against opponents #1 each week". He's got some nit and grit to his game and will be a nice developmental piece who can really become a stud for GB and the steal of this draft. I'm not sure he will be here and I went back and forth flip flopping between Josh Sweat and Holton Hill with that 3rd comp pick and could easily see those 2 picks being flip flopped when all is said and done.

TALLAHASSEE, FL - OCTOBER 15: Wide receiver Auden Tate
                                                                                 Round 5A: Auden Tate, WR, Florida State

This is a guy that makes his money on contested catches.  There are going to be people who have a much higher grade on Tate then where I am currently placing him but imo he's going to be a RZ monster but will struggle to create separation in the NFL. He could easily find himself going early on Day 2 in the NFL Draft or right about where I have him currently based on his testing at the combine and I'm predicting he isn't a stand out there. However, GB get's another target for Aaron Rodgers after a Jordy Nelson departure and really adds to our RZ ability paired with Jimmy Graham. Aaron Rodgers is happy.

Image result for Kalen Ballage
                                 Round 5B: Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State

A lot of people are claiming he is the next "David Johnson". I think that's a bit of a stretch. However, he does have all the fundamentals you look for in a RB. He's big, he adds to the passing game and he has that North South ability you look for. I think his money will be made on 3rd down though with a pretty high ceiling. 

Image result for Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State
Round 5C: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

There are a lot of tools to like here in this young kid and it's possible he isn't even on the board at this pick, it's still early in the process but literally the saying you see a lot of when it comes to Mason is that he's a system QB that needs a lot of work and if you ask 10 different scouts their thoughts on him, you're going to get 10 different opinions. If he's here at this pick, he's easily worth the dart throw and by easily, I mean you run this card up and don't even think twice about it.

Rounds 6/7: Ending the Mock here, the last 2 picks would be developmental Big Prospects (1 on each side of the trenches) and I haven't really dived that deep into either position to really feel comfortable mocking it and would lazily throw in 2 names without knowing much about them or literally just copy and paste names from another mock. Anyways, have at it and tear it apart if you must. :) 

Edited: Noticed I failed to put Position / School for Gallup.

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Do you think we'd consider talib or that's just what you'd try?

I would hope he's a possibility. He's one of the best in the league and fits what most people say Pettine is asking of their DB's and his salary is only $19 million over the next 2 seasons (11 this year and 8 next). Pretty reasonable considering what premier corners are getting paid these days. I just think it aligns very nicely from  a financial aspect, attitude / leadership aspect and talent aspect. Everything you want is there. 

Like everything but I'd switch Jordy and Cobb. Even at his age, Jordy is more valuable than Cobb imo. You lose Jordy and right now your No. 2 outside WR is who...Allison? Even drafting a rookie at 3 and we take a big step backwards. We cut Cobb and we have more options. Jordy can play inside and out, Monty can play some slot in place of Cobb or a guy like Graham can line up in the slot.

Otherwise, I'd lock in this offseason right now if I could. I'm a big Demario Davis guy and I'd love James/Armstrong at 1 & 2. 

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I would hope he's a possibility. He's one of the best in the league and fits what most people say Pettine is asking of their DB's and his salary is only $19 million over the next 2 seasons (11 this year and 8 next). Pretty reasonable considering what premier corners are getting paid these days. I just think it aligns very nicely from  a financial aspect, attitude / leadership aspect and talent aspect. Everything you want is there. 

Yeah the common thing is after Bennett we don't want another guy who might have other issues and whatnot. That's the thought anyways.

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Talib is the last player available this season I'd want in GB. Just seems like a whiny cancer. Would want nothing to do with King or Randall learning anything from that loser.

I mean you're entitled to your opinion but if the reason for that is the whole "attitude" thing he has going for him, then why would you be against trading for Aqib Talib but not against Trading for Peters? Both of these guys have huge character concerns. Peters has had them since his college days with rumors of him choking one of his coaches in college, a long history of him arguing with coaches on the side lines both in the pros and in college and literally there's a multitude of articles that show Houston having to step in to keep Peters out of the face of coaches when he get's torched for a TD. Not to mention the game where he threw an officials flag into the stands, thought he got ejected found out he wasn't but came out without socks and refused to go back into the game ... if you're willing to trade pick #14 overall for that attitude because of his talent while also surrendering a big pay day, but are unwilling to trade a condition 4th round pick for Aqib Talib, I'm going to have to scratch my head a little bit but respect the opinion because everyone is entitled to them.

41 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I mean you're entitled to your opinion but if the reason for that is the whole "attitude" thing he has going for him, then why would you be against trading for Aqib Talib but not against Trading for Peters? Both of these guys have huge character concerns. Peters has had them since his college days with rumors of him choking one of his coaches in college, a long history of him arguing with coaches on the side lines both in the pros and in college and literally there's a multitude of articles that show Houston having to step in to keep Peters out of the face of coaches when he get's torched for a TD. Not to mention the game where he threw an officials flag into the stands, thought he got ejected found out he wasn't but came out without socks and refused to go back into the game ... if you're willing to trade pick #14 overall for that attitude because of his talent while also surrendering a big pay day, but are unwilling to trade a condition 4th round pick for Aqib Talib, I'm going to have to scratch my head a little bit but respect the opinion because everyone is entitled to them.

Peters issues were with his coaches, many years ago in college. He has a big mouth and is cocky, but he's a good teammate.

Talib is a POS teammate. He's fought with his own teammates back to back years now, on both sides of the ball. He's shot himself, had pot, not to mention arrests in 2009 and 2011 for assault. 

You don't get awards for having the most choir boys so if Talib was as young and good as Peters I might brush all off, but he's 32 now, comes with a big contract and has showed signs of deteriorating. No thanks.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Peters issues were with his coaches, many years ago in college. He has a big mouth and is cocky, but he's a good teammate.

Talib is a POS teammate. He's fought with his own teammates back to back years now, on both sides of the ball. He's shot himself, had pot, not to mention arrests in 2009 and 2011 for assault. 

You don't get awards for having the most choir boys so if Talib was as young and good as Peters I might brush all off, but he's 32 now, comes with a big contract and has showed signs of deteriorating. No thanks.

Big contract? I wouldn't say $11 million this year and a drop off to $8 million next year would be considered a big contract for him. As for him deteriorating I don't know that I would agree with that. He's still playing at an elite level. He's also stuck up for his teammate (see Chris Harris). His off the field concerns were literally 6-8 years ago.  His biggest thing was a fight with Michael Crabtree last season that started an  all out brawl on the field. However, the play PRIOR to that Crabtree had literally sucker punched Chris Harris and was basically looking for a fight. 

Marcus Peters issues whether with coaches or with teammates are still toxic regardless of WHO they're with. They'd still be learning from a kid who gave up on his team (See the day he was doing everything he could to get ejected from the game and even left the field when he didn't and then when he found out he did came back on the field and refused to go back out), choking his coach in college, getting kicked off his team, late to meetings, head butting a player .... 

I just don't see how you make that trade but don't make this one. Aqib Talib has been pretty damn clean off the field for some time now and is actually a loved player in the Denver Broncos locker room by all accounts that I've read and is considered a leader there where Peters is drama queen currently and still has a lot of growing up to do. Can't necessarily say that I agree with your opinion at all but like I said, I respect it because you're entitled to it. However, this argument isn't me saying that I wouldn't trade for Peters, if the option were available I would absolutely make that trade and trust that my locker room is strong enough to be an asset towards him. 

This is my issue with mock drafts. The ones I love I think have players falling to far. The ones I hate seem like people are reaching. I would absolutely LOVE if our draft looked like this. I'd also bet the under if it was 1.5 on the number of these players being available at these picks.

Random hot take from this mock? I think Rudolph goes somewhere between pick 27 and 31.

22 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

This is my issue with mock drafts. The ones I love I think have players falling to far. The ones I hate seem like people are reaching. I would absolutely LOVE if our draft looked like this. I'd also bet the under if it was 1.5 on the number of these players being available at these picks.

Random hot take from this mock? I think Rudolph goes somewhere between pick 27 and 31.

What he said! You've got a shot to get the first two picks where you have them. I do not hold out hope we could get any of the balance in the draft slot you have them. It would be an increadible draft if we could and I'd take it in a heartbeat and move on. Love you double dipped at EDGE. I would rather draft a TE than sign Jimmy Graham however. I'd go after Paul Richardson the Seattle WR who can stretch the field vertically over Graham. Maybe get the TE from Penn State or Wisconsin where you pick Gallup, who is going to go in bottom of 1 or top of 2. 

I've been saying it for months, but Jeff Janis is going to leave. He's going to Detroit. 

Archived