Who are your top 5 prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft?

VanS

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is insane. And I like all 5 of those guys...but this is crazy. You should watch college football. It'd help you make the evaluating of the prospects easier.

Yup.

Which Olympic event would he have a chance to medal in?

Just now, Jeezla said:

Which Olympic event would he have a chance to medal in?

Football.

He's significantly bigger than Byron Jones and has 4.4 speed. Moves laterally at an elite level. Will have great strength numbers. If Byron Jones was 20 pounds heavier I don't think he'd put up the same numbers Derwin will (IMO). We'll see I guess, as there's no evidence as to what Derwin James can test at.

And I know it wasn't the point you were making, but Derwin James is also 10x the football player.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is insane. And I like all 5 of those guys...but this is crazy. You should watch college football. It'd help you make the evaluating of the prospects easier.

You should study reading comprehension.  These are MY 5 that answers the topic of this thread.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, VanS said:

This is not who you think will go top 5 or even who should go in top 5 based on team needs. 

Plain and simple, when we look back at this draft 5 years from now, who will be the 5 best pure football players? 

Here is my top 5:

1. RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State) - best RB prospect I've ever seen.....reminds me of Fred Taylor with a thicker lower body and more elusiveness
  2. S Derwin James (Florida State) - best S prospect since Sean Taylor.....should instantly be the freakiest athlete in the NFL at his position
  3. G Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame) - best G prospect of the last 10 years.....should instantly be an All-Pro at his position
  4. QB Sam Darnold (USC) - a better prospect than Andrew Luck IMO.....has it all.....arm talent, athleticism, and intangibles
  5. WR Antonio Callaway (Florida) - one of the 5 best WR prospects I've seen in the last 10 years....reminds me of late 80s/early 90s superstar Sterling Sharpe

Honorable mention:  DE Marcus Davenport (UTSA), DE Arden Key (LSU), DE Bradley Chubb (NC State), DT Vita Vea (Washington)

I can understand the Fred Taylor comparison for Barkley and Andrew Luck comparison for Darnold, but have a hard to seeing Antonio Gallaway as what you call him. I don't think he's better than Ridley, Sutton, or Washington and that's just the tip of the iceberg this draft class alone.

I'm also not sold on Davenport.

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I can understand the Fred Taylor comparison for Barkley and Andrew Luck comparison for Darnold, but have a hard to seeing Antonio Gallaway as what you call him. I don't think he's better than Ridley, Sutton, or Washington and that's just the tip of the iceberg this draft class alone.

I'm actually more sure about Callaway as a player than almost anyone else.  He's a clone on tape of Sterling Sharpe.  He's a savant when it comes to route running and creating separation.  He also had tremendous hands and very good athleticism.  Go watch him in the 2015 and 2016 SEC Championship Game against Minkah Fitzpartick.  He made him look silly.  And most people have Minkah going in the top 5 of the draft.  Antonio Callaway minus the off-field issues is a lock to be a perennial All-Pro WR in the NFL.

Marcus Davenport is tough.  I am less confident about him.  But his skill set is so appealing.  He physically looks just like Jason Taylor.  He also showed during the senior bowl Jason Taylor's proclivity to take fumble recoveries to the house.  I think he's a player that might take a few years to develop.  But by the time he's 3-4 years in the league, he should be considered one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

IMO, this draft will depend on how the QB's and RB's pan out, otherwise, it is a rather mediocre group.

So here goes:

Darnold QB

Rosen QB

MayfieldQB

Barkley RB

Michel RB

Chubb and Fitzpatrick will be solid, but I doubt they will be super stars! Jackson QB, could be a surprise, but Nelson will not be as good as advertised, unless he gets with a team determined to run the ball.

On 2/20/2018 at 12:36 AM, DoleINGout said:

He also thought Josh Dobbs was a special talent...so....umm...yeah.  :ph34r:

And Darnold a better prospect than Luck?    The QB talent in this draft is so laughably overrated.    NOT SAYING ITS BAD, but I see 2 first round caliber QBs, and while Darnold is one of them, I dont see how people say "he has everything".   I think he has just as much chance of busting as he does becoming a franchise QB.

Archived