Offensive Tackle reports from first day of pads

Johnny Nix

I split this out because it's a little off topic from the Andre Smith/Hopkins discussion at guard.  I also have something to add.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/31/16066872/bengals-training-camp-day-3-observations-position-group

From that article:

With pads on, the line play was more telling on Sunday, though Jake Fisher’s inexperience showed several times and Marvin Lewis even yelled at him about being on the ground too often.

While the Bengals’ offensive line looks nothing like that of the Cowboys, the addition of Smith has given the line more strength than last year. Cedric Ogbuehi’s much anticipated improvement showed as well and he held his own on Sunday. Hopefully by the regular season, this line will have practiced enough to eliminate many of the anticipated kinks.

I actually kind of thought it'd be opposite.  Fisher showing well enough and Ced being on the ground a lot.  Probably the most important thing to observe from the first day in pads.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I split this out because it's a little off topic from the Andre Smith/Hopkins discussion at guard.  I also have something to add.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/31/16066872/bengals-training-camp-day-3-observations-position-group

From that article:

I actually kind of thought it'd be opposite.  Fisher showing well enough and Ced being on the ground a lot.  Probably the most important thing to observe from the first day in pads.

Maybe this will be enough to provoke Marvin to pick up the phone and get Big Willie in here to help him.  The man wants to help.  Surely Alexander's ego isn't in the way.

12 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I am more surprised that Ced is getting good reviews especially by people that are not on the payroll of the Bengals.

Shocking to me too.  It's only one day into camp though.  He's got a long way to go to make a believer out of me.

6 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Maybe this will be enough to provoke Marvin to pick up the phone and get Big Willie in here to help him.  The man wants to help.  Surely Alexander's ego isn't in the way.

Was he asking to come back and help?  I thought i saw a report that he was at Browns camp.

27 minutes ago, theJ said:

Was he asking to come back and help?  I thought i saw a report that he was at Browns camp.

Yes, he wants to help.  he runs an offensive line training facility/camp in Atlanta.  He offered in the spring.  I was thinking he already went to Cleveland for spring camp, but I am probably wrong on that.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

provoke

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Shocking to me too.  It's only one day into camp though.  He's got a long way to go to make a believer out of me.

Oh yeah, I will never believe the hype especially this early in camp. I know we will get at least 3 articles this training camp about his awesome summer and progression from the mothership.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Eh, I'm not going to get too hopeful or discouraged over the first day of camp.

Welcome to the new forum!  The round avatar looks better for Mr. Ford.

Also, i agree with your statement.

I said it before and I'll say it again (yes, you can feel free to throw this in my face later in the year), but Ogbhehi I'm not that concerned about.  I do expect a drop from Whit but I think he'll be an above average LT this season.  It's RG, RT, and Center that I'm concerned about (in that order).  Hopkins at RG and Andre Smith at RT, might be the ideal combination though to start the season...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

Hopkins at RG and Andre Smith at RT, might be the ideal combination though to start the season...

I think there's a better chance of that happening that most realize.

Archived