Offensive Tackle reports from first day of pads

Johnny Nix

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Sounds like the line has struggled the last few days. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/4/16100328/bengals-training-camp-2017-5-takeaways-day-7

If he struggles, going to be a long season for Andy. 

The good news though has been Fisher has looked a lot better.  I read somewhere that one of the coaches thought Fisher might have been the best lineman all week once he got his feet wet.  Not sure what that really means.

If guys get torched on Friday, I think we start exploring trade options.  And as much as I love draft talk, I'd consider moving top draft capitol if the right deal came along.  I don't mean a trade like Hill for a team's third best OT.  I mean a deal like McCarron for Tunsil or McCarron for a proven vet kinda deal.  Or a top guy for a high draft pick.  This team is too stacked at literally every other position to let a potential deep playoff run get derailed by the o-line if they can help it.  And if they are going to trade high picks, we better extend both Eifert and Burfict now to avoid a serious mess next offseason.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

Sounds like the line has struggled the last few days. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/4/16100328/bengals-training-camp-2017-5-takeaways-day-7

If he struggles, going to be a long season for Andy. 

The irony is I heard Munoz giving lots of praise about Ogbuehi yesterday. Him and Lapham really believe he's going to be something. Its another classic situation where he said this she said this.

12 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Him and Lapham really believe he's going to be something.

They said he's got all the "tools". Yes, technically he has the prototype type of body, but that doesn't mean anything if never puts it all together. 

11 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

They said he's got all the "tools". Yes, technically he has the prototype type of body, but that doesn't mean anything if never puts it all together. 

Fair enough. If he doesn't get it right this year, I guess they will need to draft an OT with there top 10 pick.

11 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Fair enough. If he doesn't get it right this year, I guess they will need to draft an OT with the 32nd pick

FIFY.  No matter how Fisher and Ogbuehi play this year, the team should invest heavily in the draft with o-linemen.  Winston and Smith are old, the starters are iffy, and there's no other tackles here.  I'd take two tackles and a center on the first two days, regardless of order.  We seem stacked everywhere else.  I think they re-sign Burfict, try to with Eifert and tag him if they can't,   so there won't be a bunch of glaring holes to fill.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

FIFY.  No matter how Fisher and Ogbuehi play this year, the team should invest heavily in the draft with o-linemen.  Winston and Smith are old, the starters are iffy, and there's no other tackles here.  I'd take two tackles and a center on the first two days, regardless of order.  We seem stacked everywhere else.  I think they re-sign Burfict, try to with Eifert and tag him if they can't,   so there won't be a bunch of glaring holes to fill.

Realistically though they'll draft a CB with the first pick.  Been a while since they took one.

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Ok, that makes no sense. If they both end up playing good, then why waste there early picks on positions they don't need to improve? 1st and 2nd round picks are meant to be used on future starters, not depth. There will be some holes next year somewhere, we just don't know what it is yet. I think its safe to say either Ogbuehi or Fisher will struggle, so one of them may need to be replaced, but if one of them finally turns out to be good, then its silly to waste a pick on another OT so early. There a few needs that come to my mind maybe next year.

As @theJ already stated, given the Bengals track record, history says they will draft another 1st round CB next year. Jones hopefully is gone by then, and if Dennard continues to struggle, they will need to draft someone again.

For the free agents, I see no way they let Eifert go, but they might let Burfict test the waters, because I doubt there will be a lot of teams willing to take a huge risk on him. So regardless if Burfict is back or not, there's also Kevin Minter who if he struggles, they need to draft a new replacement. Also it would not surprise me if they try to draft DT very early, should Billings not live up to the expectations this year. I agree with you on they need a C though, but who knows if they want to even replace Bodine.

Take depth players for what they are, guys who offer some insurance but not necessarily the next answer to being a future starter. And I'm only implying they have a top 10 pick if OL plays really really really bad.

7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

:(

I know we shouldn't stalk our ex, but...

Not gonna really gonna do him much good TBH, if the offense he's playing for goes 3 and out every drive.

I don't blame the guy for trying to set himself and his family financial for life, but he choose to go waste the rest of his career on a team much worse than the Bengals, instead of going to a superbowl contending team elsewhere.

Archived