Offensive Tackle reports from first day of pads

Johnny Nix

15 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

If Michael Johnson is let go they very well could

If Lawson or Willis turn out, it'll probably be a mid round pick again. They view that as their sweet spot for picking starting d linemen. 

2 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

As @theJ already stated, given the Bengals track record, history says they will draft another 1st round CB next year. Jones hopefully is gone by then, and if Dennard continues to struggle, they will need to draft someone again.

I said it tongue in cheek, but I actually could see it happening. In that same situation you just laid it, except with the addition of WJ3 barely plays this year and they feel like they have to take another one because Bengals logic. 

51 minutes ago, theJ said:

Didn't he retired? Don't see that changing. 

He wants to unretire due to the jags taking back a large chunk of his salary. But they don't want him back. He will probably be traded or released id imagine 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:18 PM, MrCincinnati said:

Ok, that makes no sense. If they both end up playing good, then why waste there early picks on positions they don't need to improve? 1st and 2nd round picks are meant to be used on future starters, not depth. There will be some holes next year somewhere, we just don't know what it is yet. I think its safe to say either Ogbuehi or Fisher will struggle, so one of them may need to be replaced, but if one of them finally turns out to be good, then its silly to waste a pick on another OT so early. There a few needs that come to my mind maybe next year.

It makes perfect sense to me.  But I guess I didn't clarify where I'd draft them.  If Ced and Fisher struggle, then the draft picks should be day 1 and 2.  If they play well, we still need to take backups, but early day three.  Winston is broken, and at that age, won't improve.  Andre isn't far behind.  Bodine is a hot mess.  I have come to expect mediocre play most of the time, with a few plays where he gets absolutely blown up.  That isn't cutting it, and if Ced and/or Fisher struggle, we have no viable plan to account for it.

As for the CB in the first, we like to joke about the pattern, but I really doubt the team says :It's and even numbered year.  Gotta take a CB".  Ee could, but we have depth there.  A first rounder gets buried again on the depth chart.  We appear to be stacked for a few years at several positions, so why not draft heavily on the offensive line? 

One of the big downs on the BBP Podcast was how bad Andre Smith has looked. They said the move to G hasn't looked like they had hoped which is why we have seen Hopkins in there. Very early in camp, especially with a guy learning a new position, but it is something to watch during the preseason. 

4 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

One of the big downs on the BBP Podcast was how bad Andre Smith has looked. They said the move to G hasn't looked like they had hoped which is why we have seen Hopkins in there. Very early in camp, especially with a guy learning a new position, but it is something to watch during the preseason. 

I'm shocked

7 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I really don't think he's going to start, or even play much this year.  It sounds like it'll be Hopkins.  If there was any depth, he'd probably be cut.  Of course, if they depth, they wouldn't have signed him in the first place.

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

It makes perfect sense to me.  But I guess I didn't clarify where I'd draft them.  If Ced and Fisher struggle, then the draft picks should be day 1 and 2.  If they play well, we still need to take backups, but early day three.  Winston is broken, and at that age, won't improve.  Andre isn't far behind.  Bodine is a hot mess.  I have come to expect mediocre play most of the time, with a few plays where he gets absolutely blown up.  That isn't cutting it, and if Ced and/or Fisher struggle, we have no viable plan to account for it.

As for the CB in the first, we like to joke about the pattern, but I really doubt the team says :It's and even numbered year.  Gotta take a CB".  Ee could, but we have depth there.  A first rounder gets buried again on the depth chart.  We appear to be stacked for a few years at several positions, so why not draft heavily on the offensive line? 

Well that clears it up a bit. Yes they should more OT's in the middle of the draft. I though you were suggesting they should triple down on the OL with there first 3 picks no matter what.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  The best way to build a strong team is through the trenches (aside from having a franchise QB).  We should use our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks next season on the OLine and DLine.  Yes, I said DLine as well.  Even if Lawson and Billings live up to the hype we can also use talent behind them.  #InvestInTheTrenches...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  The best way to build a strong team is through the trenches (aside from having a franchise QB).  We should use our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks next season on the OLine and DLine.  Yes, I said DLine as well.  Even if Lawson and Billings live up to the hype we can also use talent behind them.  #InvestInTheTrenches...

I agree the trenches need beefed up. The rest of the team is pretty solid 

Archived