Should the Bills Trade Up For a QB?

bigbadbuff23835

Easy question, two firsts and two seconds in this year’s draft. Should they make the move up for a QB, and if so who do you think? I think it’s either sign Cousins or trade up. I don’t think they are in a position to drop the money on Cousins with other holes to fill, so I’m starting to think they should trade up and get their guy and build a team around him until they have to pay him the big bucks (hopefully because this means he panned out) in a couple of years.

I think it would be almost unacceptable to not use the ammunition they have this year because I don’t think they will be picking near the top of the draft next year and they will be stuck in mediocrity. 

I wouldnt....but Im not as high on the top QBs as most are.

I would trade up for Rosen....thats it.     I could also get behind a trade up for Darnold if he goes to a team with the right coaching and can sit a year.

However, guys like Mayfield and Jackson?    Id wait to see if they dropped, and if they dont....oh well.    And if you draft Josh Allen in the first...Im sorry.

As for the Bills specifically.....even though he is being overpaid, Id consider rolling with Tyrod another year.    I doubt they will land Cousins, and every other QB seems like they will be lateral moves from Taylor.  Use the two first rounders to rebuild other areas and then perhaps draft Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round.   Not saying he will be the answer, but even if he isnt, a 3rd rounder isnt going to prevent them from possibly looking at QBs in 2019.

This year is a good year at QB for teams like the Browns and Jets who have NOTHING at QB, high draft picks and a ton of cap space.   But for a team like the Bills, who have a serviceable QB. mid-round picks and just a decent amount of cap space.....I think they are the type of team thats in position to possibly make a huge mistake.  As unspectacular as Tyrod is....SOMETIMES, it pays to be patient when looking for a franchise QB, and unless someone falls, this is probably one of them.

However, if the Bills front office truly thinks a guy like Mayfield or Jackson is the guy.....then I wouldnt knock on them for trading up, even if I wouldnt do it myself.      

Yes Trade for Nick Foles, reunite him with McCoy and Matthews. McDermott is also familiar with him. 

Pay his rediculous $7M contract, 

Make it a Prove it type year, if it's going well, sign him mid year long term.

Save several of those picks draft BPA ...and 

Use the extra 20M per year you'd spend on Cousins to acquire more FA.

Assuming of course you have a smart enough OC to adapt his Offense to said QB/Players?

I wouldn't.  At least, not at any substantial cost.  I'm not all that blown away by this QB crop though.

Then again...they've gotta find something at QB.  Seems to me like they very clearly burned a bridge with Tyrod in expressing their readiness to move on from him, which isn't entirely unfair...but still very much limits an option there.  Just gotta be hard to bring him back after benching him in that hilarious Nathan Peterman debacle last season.  And the FA/Trade market doesn't look promising.  Other than Cousins, it looks like most of those chips have more or less settled.  Especially complicated by the need for a QB who can play outside in the elements there.

I'd lean toward wait and see what shakes out, and roll the dice on a guy like Jackson or Allen if they slip to the 20s.  One of them is bound to be available.  Who knows...Mayfield may even slide.  If you come up dry on that...i guess you've got some serious fence-mending to do with Tyrod, or see if Kaepernick still feels like playing some football.

Given that next years' QB class doesn't look as promising as this class, I'd argue that it's now or never. You'll have interested sellers in the top 5 as well - Indy and Cleveland would love to increase capital from the 3 and 4 spot, so the Bills might not need to pony up both 1st round picks to move up.

Bills at 3 to take whoever is left from Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield would be ideal.

Yes, if they don't sign Cousins (Bills would have to make him the highest paid QB, don't see that happening) then they should for sure trade up into the top 5.

Potential trade partners : Giants @ #2, Colts @ #3, Broncos @ #5 (if they get Cousins).

I like Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield as selections in the top 5. If the Bills sit pat @ 21 and 22 I wouldn't mind Lamar Jackson.

Would one of the Bills 2nd round picks be enough to trade for Nick Foles????

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

Yes, if they don't sign Cousins (Bills would have to make him the highest paid QB, don't see that happening) then they should for sure trade up into the top 5.

Potential trade partners : Giants @ #2, Colts @ #3, Broncos @ #5 (if they get Cousins).

I like Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield as selections in the top 5. If the Bills sit pat @ 21 and 22 I wouldn't mind Lamar Jackson.

Would one of the Bills 2nd round picks be enough to trade for Nick Foles????

I’d offer a 3rd for Foles to start lol and maybe invest a 2nd. 

I agree with @EliteTexan80 it might be now or never. If we can trade up and still keep one of our firsts that would be incredible. Dream scenario is Baker falls to out of the top ten and we are able to move up and grab him and keep our 2nd first. 

I don't know if they should, but, being the Buffalo Bills, I'm going to guess that they will; AND, in a daring move that will turn every other teams' draft boards upside-down, they'll trade up - Giants' pick, #2 overall- and grab Mason Rudolph!

e841263378a8f1e93452359d43e45a25_crop_ex
John Raoux/Associated Press

Scout's Quote: "You have him in Round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bulls--t scheme. Bryce Petty all over again"

Mason Rudolph is, like the scout says, in my second-round rankings, but that isn't an opinion shared by the team employing this evaluator. He went 

- Weak arm? Bird-turd scheme? Immobile? "Bryce Petty all over again"? Sounds like a good fit to me!

Of course, still being the Buffalo Bills, they just might select the wrong Mason Rudolph, passing up the unpromising QB for the deceased golfer:

Image result for Mason Rudolph golfer

Bills GM, realizing his mistake and rationalizing it away: "Uhhh..................no big deal, really! We've had plenty of stiffs here before!"

I don’t see a QB worth doing that for. I like Lamar Jackson but even him I wouldn’t take in the 1st round unless I was going to get fired and I just had to roll the dice on someone. And Buffalo just made the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years so no one should be worried about that. So they should wait and make sure they get the right one

36 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’d offer a 3rd for Foles to start lol and maybe invest a 2nd. 

I agree with @EliteTexan80 it might be now or never. If we can trade up and still keep one of our firsts that would be incredible. Dream scenario is Baker falls to out of the top ten and we are able to move up and grab him and keep our 2nd first. 

You'll never get Foles for that much.

And honestly to get one of the good QB's in the draft you probably need to trade in the top 7. Cleveland all but said they are getting a QB, the Giants all but said they are getting a QB, which ever one of the Broncos/Jets don't get AJ will also likely draft a QB (and if neither do, Denver is getting one and the Jets are 50/50 to get one). 

Bills would probably need to give up a hall for the top tier ones. Maybe you can wait long enough and get Jackson.

Archived