NFL Draft Targets?

DoleINGout

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Dont like Jaire as a high pick. He strikes me as a slot only type #3 CB in the NFL. He wont be able to play on by the sideline. 

I see him more on the outside. He has speed to burn.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-derwin-james-jaire-alexander-stand-out-in-db-group/

For whats it worth he is now Mayock 2nd corner listed.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Jaire's stock rose with an impressive combine, but I am more of a tape junky. The tape don't lie and the tape says Jaire is a slot corner. 

I understand but the he has been injured and was not 100% this year.  Tape my not show he true talent. I look at the draft with key positions in mind. QB, LT, CB and  Edge rusher. I like the kid from Alabama however I go with the 2nd best CB in the draft at that point. I also like the fact he excels on special teams.

If they Patriots think they can get a Daryl Washington type player, do they take Rashaan Evans at 23? That speed, range and tackling was absolutely missed on the second level last season. Not to mention the blitz packages he can be employed at if the Pats want to continue that trend without Patricia. He looks like an excellent pick at that spot, politics aside....

7 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

If they Patriots think they can get a Daryl Washington type player, do they take Rashaan Evans at 23? That speed, range and tackling was absolutely missed on the second level last season. Not to mention the blitz packages he can be employed at if the Pats want to continue that trend without Patricia. He looks like an excellent pick at that spot, politics aside....

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

WalterFootball and this website were two of the first places I turned to in 2006. I got really into the draft and free agency from that point forward. Here is Walter’s insight into the Patriots draft scouting:

New England Patriots
  • Ryan Anderson, P, Rutgers (WOR)
  • Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Bo Bower, OLB, Iowa (PRO)
  • Andrew Brown, DT/3-4DE, Virginia (COM)
  • Jermaine Carter, OLB, Maryland (PRO)
  • Lorenzo Carter, 3-4OLB/OLB, Georgia (COM)
  • Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech (COM)
  • Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina (WOR)
  • Duke Dawson, CB, Florida (PRI)
  • Matt Dickerson, DT/3-4DE, UCLA (COM)
  • Duke Ejiofor^, DE/3-4DE, Wake Forest (COM, PRI)
  • Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Kylie Fitts, DE/3-4OLB, Utah (COM)
  • Rasheem Green, DE/DT/3-4DE, USC (PRO)
  • Derrius Guice, RB, LSU (PRI)
  • P.J. Hall^, DT, Sam Houston State (WOR, PRI)
  • DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State (PRO)
  • Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama (COM)
  • Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama (COM)
  • Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State (COM)
  • Jalyn Holmes, DE, Ohio State (COM)
  • Sam Hubbard, DE/3-4OLB, Ohio State (COM)
  • Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (PRO)
  • Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa (PRO)
  • Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee (COM)
  • Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn (PRI)
  • Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M (PRI)
  • Harold Landry, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Boston College (PRO)
  • Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond (COM)
  • Alex McGough, QB, Florida International (WOR)
  • Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (COM)
  • Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA (COM)
  • D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (PRI)
  • Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State (COM)
  • Justin Reid^, S, Stanford (COM, PRI)
  • Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (WOR)
  • Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford (WOR)
  • Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi (PRO)
  • Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas (WOR)
  • Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone (PRO)
  • Josh Sweat, DE/3-4OLB, Florida State (PRI)
  • Akrum Wadley^, RB, Iowa (SR, COM)
  • Mark Walton, RB, Miami (COM)
  • Connor Williams, OT, Texas (PRI)
  • Darrel Williams, RB, LSU (COM)

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam#ixzz5CONW3TC1

On 3/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Justin Reid (S/CB) has Patriots written all over him.

Younger brother Eric Reid. Versatile and smart DB. Just killed the combine. I've even seen Duron Harmon comparisons lol.

Privates workout and met at the combine. Justin Reid would be a great pick.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:50 AM, TomRalph said:

All aboard the Josh Rosen train...

I think this is happening if Gronk is traded. If not, then I still give it a fair chance to happen but with less to offer I think Mason Rudolph becomes the more likely pick in a trade up.

Also, I know I’ve gone on about Rahsaan Evans and only mentioned Harold Landry once, but if both are sitting there at 23 then it is a very difficult choice. I still would think Evans is the pick in that scenario but if he is gone and Landry is sitting there, he will be the guy. His 3-cone, I mean... c’mon. They love that.

Original:

Gronkowski and pick 31 traded to Oakland for pick 10

1.10 Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1.23 Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

2.43 Daltin Schultz, TE, Stanford

2.63 Martinas Rankin, OL, Mississippi State

3.95 Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina

6.198 Ito Smith, RB/WR, Southern Miss

6.210 Vyncent Smith, WR, Limestone

7.219 Matt Dickerson, DE, UCLA

Realistically, without Gronk trade:

Patriots trade 31, 43 & 63 to Bengals for 21 46 & 151

1.21 Mason Rudolph, QB, OSU

1.23 Harold Landry, OLB, BC

2.46 Daltin Schultz, TE, Stanford

3.95 P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State

5.151 Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina

6.198 Ito Smith, RB/WR, Southern Miss

6.210 Vyncent Smith, WR, Limestone

7.219 Matt Dickerson, DE, UCLA

Lots of chatter about Baker and Jackson. 

Probably just smokescreen - and I doubt many would be disappointed in them being on the team - but I really hope NE doesn’t jump too high. If one drops passed 12, sure...maybe. Higher wouldn’t be worth it, the team needs young talent.

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Lots of chatter about Baker and Jackson. 

Probably just smokescreen - and I doubt many would be disappointed in them being on the team - but I really hope NE doesn’t jump too high. If one drops passed 12, sure...maybe. Higher wouldn’t be worth it, the team needs young talent.

I really like Mayfield.  But I can't see him falling out of the top 10.  He's probably going #3 unless Jets do something dumb like draft Josh Allen.  I think Patriots are trying to bait buffalo into trading up for a QB.  Doesnt seem like a coincidence a Rosen rumor comes out and Jets reporters note Patriots love Mayfield a few days later.

As for QBs I absolutely hate Mason Rudolph and if we draft him we better be ready to draft a QB that doesnt suck in 2019.  If we're drafting a QB with a meh arm we should just take Lauletta, Woodside, Falk, Mcgough or Litton who could at least be decent stop gaps and not require a first.  We might be better off trading one of our firsts for a future first to go get a QB next yr.  Lock, Finley and Stidham should be decent start for the QB class.

Though for guys that don't get talked about much that could be good fits early on I really like Mike Hughes at CB(though this CB class is pretty deep.  Davis from Auburn as a big long physical option and Oliver needs to fix his footwork but speedy long option), Okoronkwo as a mid rounder that could move to LBer, Siran Neal and Jeremy Reaves I like as small school Ss.  Cole Reyes looks like typical late rounder to play STs.  Hubbard and Landry are 2 DEs I like early on.  Landry's hand placement is pretty amazing.  Chad Thomas is a mid round alternative.  

With Garcia being back around 290 I think we end up not taking a OT in this weak class.

Gisiecki from PSU I think is tempting with those combine numbers but i have a feeling he's going to end up being overdrafted for what he is.  Schultz I think is good day 3 #2 TE type.  Not very athletic, physical blocker and his route running is really good and he sells fakes well.

Archived