Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

In my opinion, you’ve got this in the top 10:

- Perennial All-Pro RB (Barkley)

- Perennial All-Pro Guard (Nelson)

- Pro Bowl LB with potential to be All-Pro (Edmunds)

- Pro Bowl CB with potential to be All-Pro (Ward)

- And a couple of DBs with blue chip qualities, even if we don’t know their position (Fitzpatrick and James)

Now let’s apply two trade proposals to our 4th pick. Both different in style, but both as conceivable.

1. Small trade with DEN/NYJ to ensure their QB. E.g. #4 for #6 and 2019 1st.

2. Big trade with ARI/BUF to ensure their QB. E.g. #4 for #21, #22, 2nd, 2019 1st, 2019 2nd.

Now we have three stand out options at this point:

1. Reject all trades. Take best player at 4.

2. Accept small trade. Take one of the best players from list above that is still there, be happy and roll with the extra 2019 1st. Hope for NYJ’s rookie QB to play and struggle leading to a great 2019 pick (ala Houston).

3. Accept big trade. Accept that all those in the list above will be gone. Be happy with the monster haul and get to work on picking quality at 21 and 22 etc. Hope for Buffalo’s rookie QB to play and struggle leading to a great 2019 pick (ala Houston).

Which option stands out to you?

Not completely sold on drafting an OG too high, but other than that, it is an impressive list of possible prospects.

The Giants and the Colts will likely affect our trade possibilities. I have no doubt the Giants will trade with either Denver or the Jets, for the Colts, it will be a doctor's decision as to whether or not Luck can ever return to form, if it is a thumbs up, they will also trade the pick to the loser of the Denver/Jets war for the # 2 pick and if it is thumbs down the Colts will draft another QB, leaving the #4 pick not quite so valuable. I do not believe a team will have to trade up to #4 to get Mayfield, he is only ranked in the 13 to 15th range, so I think it is wishful thinking that we can get either Buffalo or Arizona to trade this low. Somebody with the 8 to 10 pick will more likely get that trade offer.

So IMO, it will be Barkley or trade back a bit for extra assets, so I would take Barkley to protect our QB. Barkley can be the offensive force till Darnold is ready to step up after about 7 to 9 games and really add his offense to the table to go along with Barkley, This could really begin to set up our offense for years to come.

If either the Giants or the Colts draft Barkley, they a trade with Arizona or Buffalo could come into play and the #4 pick could be really valuable. We will all be holding our breath till the draft!!!

8 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

In my opinion, you’ve got this in the top 10:

- Perennial All-Pro RB (Barkley)

- Perennial All-Pro Guard (Nelson)

- Pro Bowl LB with potential to be All-Pro (Edmunds)

- Pro Bowl CB with potential to be All-Pro (Ward)

- And a couple of DBs with blue chip qualities, even if we don’t know their position (Fitzpatrick and James)

Now let’s apply two trade proposals to our 4th pick. Both different in style, but both as conceivable.

1. Small trade with DEN/NYJ to ensure their QB. E.g. #4 for #6 and 2019 1st.

2. Big trade with ARI/BUF to ensure their QB. E.g. #4 for #21, #22, 2nd, 2019 1st, 2019 2nd.

Now we have three stand out options at this point:

1. Reject all trades. Take best player at 4.

2. Accept small trade. Take one of the best players from list above that is still there, be happy and roll with the extra 2019 1st. Hope for NYJ’s rookie QB to play and struggle leading to a great 2019 pick (ala Houston).

3. Accept big trade. Accept that all those in the list above will be gone. Be happy with the monster haul and get to work on picking quality at 21 and 22 etc. Hope for Buffalo’s rookie QB to play and struggle leading to a great 2019 pick (ala Houston).

Which option stands out to you?

I'll take what's behind Door #3 in this draft.

If you are going BPA and want an almost certain blue chip, you really are only talking Barkley or Nelson, a RB and a G  (for all we know).

Give me the boatload of picks this year and next.

Hell, we would need only to hit the nail on the head with one of them to justify the trades.

Good odds.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

If we are trying to maximize value, it could happen.

I normally scoff at ridiculous madden trades like that, because they never happen. But maybe this year we might actually be in the unique position of being able to do something like it.

I think I’m going to post a mock in that style and see how it goes down.

42 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Kizer, 65th, 97th and 2019 7th for Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry and Damarious Randall.

And this is why I love what we've done. We've said that we don't need to keep drafting more rookies but rather need established veterans. Here's how I look at it:

Tyrod is MUCH better than Kizer

Landry is MUCH better than any of our #2-whatever WRs

Randall is MUCH better than Taylor 

It's not saying much since they're an 0-16 roster, but the Browns definitely got better today. We may have overpaid for him, but if he stays healthy, Tyrod Taylor alone is worth 4-6 wins. Plus, we still have all of our 1st and 2nds...5 picks here we come.

30 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Kizer, 65th, 97th and 2019 7th for Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry and Damarious Randall.

I give Dorsey an A- for this.

Arguably filled three holes including two (R and CB) that are not exactly strong in the draft.

And without giving much up.

Moved on from Kizer, decisively.

Good use of the picks.

So that's one.

Now he has to get our QBOTF (Darnold) and use the rest of the picks to get 3-4 good prospects this year and restock the draft pick shelf.

If he does all of that overall he will earn an A+

I still have a hard time seeing pick 65 for a one-year rental as a great investment. That’s my only gripe. If he was even on board as a long-term backup, that’s be okay. Not sure that will be the case, but who knows. Have to at least sign Landry long-term.

Just now, NateDawg said:

I still have a hard time seeing pick 65 for a one-year rental as a great investment. That’s my only gripe. If he was even on board as a long-term backup, that’s be okay. Not sure that will be the case, but who knows. Have to at least sign Landry long-term.

I have a feeling we might get this pick back from Buffalo when they trade up for Rosen at 4.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And this is why I love what we've done. We've said that we don't need to keep drafting more rookies but rather need established veterans. Here's how I look at it:

Tyrod is MUCH better than Kizer

Landry is MUCH better than any of our #2-whatever WRs

Randall is MUCH better than Taylor 

It's not saying much since they're an 0-16 roster, but the Browns definitely got better today. We may have overpaid for him, but if he stays healthy, Tyrod Taylor alone is worth 4-6 wins. Plus, we still have all of our 1st and 2nds...5 picks here we come.

This. I've been saying that I could see Dorsey using some of those picks to either move up in the draft or to acquire some vets. We're already incredibly young, so it probably wasn't a great idea to add a ton more rookies to the team. Now we've added some veteran talent while retaining our firsts and seconds.

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is giving up #65 for Taylor as that seems a bit steep. But it might be worth it to have a decent bridge QB for a year or two. He's definitely a lot better than anything we've had at QB in recent years.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I have a feeling we might get this pick back from Buffalo when they trade up for Rosen at 4.

That's a possibility, but I'm still not convinced the Giants will pass up on him.

now after these trades, who do you think they target at QB in the draft.

For some reason, I feel like their QB of choice might be Baker. I feel like Tygod and Baker could be used very similarly. So it could lead to a seamless transition from one QB to the next

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

now after these trades, who do you think they target at QB in the draft.

For some reason, I feel like their QB of choice might be Baker. I feel like Tygod and Baker could be used very similarly. So it could lead to a seamless transition from one QB to the next

Barkley at 1 Mayfield at 4 Oliver at 33 Gallup at 35 

Archived