Some news from training camp.

Raves

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/07/5_takeaways_from_the_defense_a.html

Please click the link to support the Nola site but here is the information minus the videos of some interviews etc.

Heat, physical workout take toll on players

The New Orleans Saints conducted the second full-pads practice of training camp at the Ochsner Sports Performance Center on Sunday.

The nearly three-hour workout was one of the most physical and taxing practices in recent memory, taking place in triple-digit heat indices and under an unrelenting Louisiana sun. A handful of players experienced cramps in the withering heat. Predictably, a couple of skirmishes erupted after the whistle late in the practice. Saints coach Sean Payton made the squad repeat a portion of team drills because of the sloppy play.

David Onyemata getting an opportunity to make an impact

David Onyemata has supplanted Tyeler Davison at the defensive tackle spot opposite Sheldon Rankins. The second-year lineman is a load inside at 6-4, 300 pounds and has excellent athletic ability for someone his size. He’s still a work in progress but has improved greatly from a year ago and is much more consistent down to down. He and Rankins earned praise from Payton and Jordan after Sunday’s workout. Onyemata’s development has been fast-tracked after the Saints lost Nick Fairley to a heart condition.

Marshon Lattimore finding his way at cornerback

Rookie cornerback Marshon Lattimore clearly is more comfortable in man-to-man coverage at this stage of his career, which is understandable because that's the coverage he played primarily at Ohio State. He’s still finding his way in zone coverage and sometimes finds himself hesitant and out of position. This early struggle is not unusual for young corners in the NFL. It also might explain why P.J. Williams is the clear starter opposite Delvin Breaux right now.

Alex Anzalone pushing Stephone Anthony at weak-side linebacker

Rookie weak-side linebacker Alex Anzalone has flashed at times and at times he’s made, to use Payton’s words, “knucklehead” plays. Such is life for an NFL rookie. Payton has praised Anzalone’s instincts, but the thing that stands out to me about him is his speed and range. The kid can run. He’s going to push Stephone Anthonyfor the starting job.

Jordan, Kenny Vaccaro displaying leadership

It was a gruelingly physical practice but Jordan and Kenny Vaccaro both found time and energy to run extra post-practice sprints. That’s the kind of example you like to see set from your young leaders.  

This is just some of the information.  I think that we should look to utilize Lattimore with his strengths for now and utilizing mixed coverage.  Let Lattimore just be a man-to-man coverage beast, taking out the #1 or #2 WR option and letting the others play man/zone as required.  I mean sometimes it's best to stick a CB onto a WR and not let them find holes in a zone anyways.

Hasn't it been Allen's MO since he arrived? Find man cover corner... make him play zone more than usual. 

Still i I get what your saying and that's fine in theory but it also depends on the coverage and scheme Allen is running in particular situations. Allen is a zone blitz D.C. Which is why PJ is gonna be the starter until Lattimore proves he's catching on.

Onyenmata really hasn't overtaken Davison... he just has taken Fairleys snaps. Davison's role has not changed. He's the run stuffing NT and will play inside on running downs but with the base being pretty much Nickel Onyemata will see more snaps just like Fairley would have... that's just a reporter trying to make a story.

If healthy I have Anzalone winning that WILL job. His instincts and coverage ability will be hard to keep off the field. 

Good!!! I hope everyone remains healthy but I'm not pitting them. They had their cool weather vacation TC the last 3 years and it lead to 3 straight 7-9 seasons. The last time they were frying in the LA sun they went 13-3... BURN'em up Sean!!!

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 AM, whodatworm23 said:

Onyenmata really hasn't overtaken Davison... he just has taken Fairleys snaps. Davison's role has not changed. He's the run stuffing NT and will play inside on running downs but with the base being pretty much Nickel Onyemata will see more snaps just like Fairley would have... that's just a reporter trying to make a story.

I would agree with this.They really play two different positions, regardless of what our depth chart or wikipedia says. Maybe not a reporter trying to make a story, but a writing intern not understanding the DT position. :P

9 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

How about the fact that Kikaha is steadily running with the Ones? All sources saying he is in 100% ready to go typ

When I was at the practices it was a rotation... Oakfor and Kikaha had the most snaps with the ones but it was kinda split but Hendrickson and even Muhammad ran with the ones at times.

11 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Been listening to Duncan and Holders radio show, they were saying it seems Kikaha is getting the most reps with the ones, just hoping it is great signs for him.

I would agree he's getting the most reps at the moment but it's really close with him and Oakfor. I said before that I feel Kikaha is the better player and I hope he wins the job but I'd be lying if I picked a favorite right now.

Archived