OC Vacancy Watch 2018 - Report: Groh getting the job

Kiltman

I don’t like the direction of run game and pass coordinator. Wr coach and rb coach should be focused on their own room. We need someone to oversee all of that, I don’t see Duce being good with the pass offense. He’s good at exposing the defense gaps. I think I actually would give more credit to Stoutland for the gaps and giving doug pointers. Groh did a bad job with the rams as the pass game coordinator. We need one guy overseeing everything not two battling it out with each other. At the end of the day it always came down to frank and Doug finalizing the game plan, adding one more people can be too many personalities in that room. Doug , Groh and Staley and New Oc can be in the in the game plan before it gets finalized like it’s always been , but I feel like we should just have two making the first 20 plays and fine tuning everything.

Has there been any precedent for this "no OC" approach in the NFL? This might be the first time I can recall hearing about it maybe a week ago. 

At first it seemed fine to me, but part of me thinks maybe Doug needs to just man up and name one of the two as the OC. Is he trying to be partial to both by not hiring the other? 

Fellas, "offensive coordinator" is just a name. It's just a label. Whether we have a guy with that job title or not is completely irrelevant to how the coaching staff is structured and how the duties and responsibilities are split and taken care of. Just because we don't have a guy with that job title it doesn't mean we won't have someone doing that job. Doug won the Super Bowl, I think he knows what he's doing.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

Fellas, "offensive coordinator" is just a name. It's just a label. Whether we have a guy with that job title or not is completely irrelevant to how the coaching staff is structured and how the duties and responsibilities are split and taken care of. Just because we don't have a guy with that job title it doesn't mean we won't have someone doing that job. Doug won the Super Bowl, I think he knows what he's doing.

While true, let's not try to reinvent the wheel. Has there ever been a team without a OC? A 2 man approach? This does seem a bit odd. As though he's trying to get both a raise while retaining their services so they can't also be poached away to another team? Now I'm fine with that aspect of it.

However that does mean more responsibility for each of them with possibly less time an "proper" attention given to each group. Unless as I suggested before Reich's role wasn't as unreplaceable as we might of thought. Not that he was obsolete , just not the typical OC responsibilities. If that's the case, maybe it will work?

Think about it this way. What if Doug Pederson renamed his position to "top dog" instead of "head coach." Would you all freak out that we didn't have a head coach? Of course not. The name doesn't matter.

And to @Nabbs4u, yes, that has been done before. Plenty of teams have offensive coordinators who do nothing more than hold clipboards. Doug Pederson was the offensive coordinator under Andy Reid and pretty much everybody agreed his responsibilities were ambiguous at best. Offensive minded head coaches routinely have offensive coordinators who don't have the full range of responsibilities that someone like Josh McDaniels would have. Again, just because someone has the OC tag it doesn't mean they're actually doing anything. Conversely, the lack of someone with the OC tag doesn't mean that job isn't being done. Offensive coordinator IS JUST A NAME.

If we end up not having someone with that label, THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE DON'T HAVE SOMEONE DOING THAT JOB. News flash: the Eagles DON'T HAVE A GENERAL MANAGER POSITION. Look up our front office positions. Does that mean we don't have a general manager? Are there examples of successful teams operating without a general manager? Oh wait, we do have someone with GM duties. Again, just because someone doesn't have that title, it doesn't mean we don't have someone doing that job.

So Frank Reich really didn't do much other then throw out some ideas here or there about game planning? Did he over see every other position Group/ Coaches on Offense? Make sure they were on board with DTM's game plan for the week or was that Doug?

If he did, your being nonchalant about it not effecting the WR/RB groups as a whole since both Groh and Duece would have more responsibility and less time with said groups. Surely it's going to be more involved then, Hey you two meet me in my office every week like Reich and Flip did to approve/add to my game plan?

With that said I trust DTM and Howie to do what's right. They've earn that.

Archived