Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Saint

Canal St.Chronicle's pre-combine mock draft thoughts?

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2018/2/19/17010486/new-orleans-saints-pre-combine-7-round-mock-draft-rashaan-evans-mike-gesicki-anthony-miller

They have a pretty good breakdown and small scouting report under each pick, but for easiness I'll write the picks:

Round 1: LB Rashaan Evans

Round 3(traded up): TE Mike Gesicki

Round 3: WR Anthony Miller

Round 4: CB Duke Dawson

Round 5: DE Duke Ejiofor

Round 6: LB/S Fred Warner

Round 7: DE Joe Ostman

What do you guys think?

Edited by Canadian Saint

I like the first two picks. Both are needs, but they still neglected the defensive line until late in the draft. If we address the defensive line in free agency then yeah, I would be okay with this for the most part. 

My main issue is taking a WR in the 3rd. It's not a need at all. Yeah, we had some average WR play outside of Thomas, but the TE position was horrible for us this this year. If we can get a guy who can make plays at that position then the rest of the guys we have on offense should be able to get it done just fine. No sense in wasting more picks on offense when the guy they draft may or may not even be an upgrade over what we currently have. We should focus on defense and build up our front 7. 

Edited by JMG5

I think that WR is a need can we bank on Ginn repeating what he did this year another year older? We don’t even know if Snead is in the Saints plans. Coleman is a pretty good blocker but he just doesn’t have it at receiver. Thomas is a pro bowler but we really don’t have a bunch after that. I could easily see the Saints upgrading. It’s not as big of a need as TE or LB...but after those two positions I think one could make an argument that we need help. 

4 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that WR is a need can we bank on Ginn repeating what he did this year another year older? We don’t even know if Snead is in the Saints plans. Coleman is a pretty good blocker but he just doesn’t have it at receiver. Thomas is a pro bowler but we really don’t have a bunch after that. I could easily see the Saints upgrading. It’s not as big of a need as TE or LB...but after those two positions I think one could make an argument that we need help. 

DE/DT are a bigger need than WR. We don't know what's going to happen with Okafor and we need more depth at the position. We also need to find a way to improve our run defense (though having better linebackers should help with that).

I think we are better at DE/DT than WR. At least we have potential with guys like Okafor, Hendrickson, and Muhammad. They are all pretty young and have shown some ability. At DT we could use depth behind Rankins, Davison, and Onyemata. I think the future is pretty bleak after Thomas at WR.