AAA's Mock Offseason

AnAngryAmerican

Well, it's President's Day and I have the day off, the lady is at work and it's 10 degrees and snowing outside so, before hitting the bar, I decided to make a mock offseason. Full disclosure, I do not have the time to study the draft prospects as closely as some of you do so feel free to quibble with my picks if you want. 

All salary cap information taken from Spotrac.

Starting Cap Space: $25.9m (This figure includes the $10.4m reserved for 2018 draft picks)

Cuts:

• RB C.J. Anderson (+$4.5m)
  • QB Trevor Siemian (+$1.9m)
  • WR Emmanuel Sanders (+5.5m)
  • CB Aquib Talib (+11.0m)
  • OT Menelik Watson (+$4.5m)

Restructures/Re-negotiations:

• CB Bradley Roby (+2.5m): Roby signs an 5 year, $50m contract with $20m guaranteed, lowering his 2018 cap number from the $8.5m with the fifth-year option to $6.0m with the new contract.
  • WR DeMaryius Thomas (+$2.2m): Mike Sullivan works his magic, re-designating some various portions of DT's contract and saving us some money in the process.

Restricted Free Agents:

• OLB Shaq Barrett: 2nd round tender ($2.746m)
  • WR Bennie Fowler: low-round tender ($1.797m)
  • DE Shelby Harris: low-round tender ($1.797m)
  • C Matt Paradis: 2nd round tender ($2.746m)

Cap Space on March, 14 2018: $50.7m

Free Agency:

• QB Kirk Cousins: 6 years, $180m, $100m guaranteed. I stole this contract from ESPN's Bill Barnwell here. ($24.15m)
  • ILB Todd Davis: 4 years, $18m, $10m guaranteed ($4.5m)
  • TE Crockett Gillmore: 3 years, $5m, $2m guaranteed ($1m)
  • WR Paul Richardson: 4 years, $25m, $12m guaranteed. ($5.5m)
  • LT Nate Solder: 3 years, $36m, $24m guaranteed ($12.5m)

Cap Space after Free Agency: $2.25m

2018 NFL Draft:

Entering the draft, the Broncos go in with the following 10 picks: 1 (5), 2 (40), 3 (71), 3 (compensatory), 4, 4 (from SF), 5, 5 (from ATL), 6, 7. 

Trade: Denver trades the No. 5 overall pick to Buffalo for the No. 21, No. 22 and No. 53 overall picks.

• 1 (#21 overall, via BUF): Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa

Trade: Denver trades the No. 22 overall pick to Cleveland for the No. 33 and No. 65 overall picks.

• 2 (#33 overall, via CLE): WIll Hernandez, OG, UTEP
  • 2 (#40 overall): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
  • 2 (#53 overall, via BUF): Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
  • 3 (#65 overall, via CLE): Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia
  • 3 (#71 overall): Dorance Armstrong, EDGE, Kansas

Trade: Denver trades their original 4th round pick and original 5th round pick to Houston for the No. 80 overall pick. 

• 3 (#80 overall, via HOU): Derrick Nnadi, NT, Florida St.
  • 3 (compensatory): Christian Sam, ILB, Arizona State
  • 4 (via SF): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St. 
  • 5 (via ATL): Conor Sheehy, DE, Wisconsin
  • 6: Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
  • 7: Drew Bailey, DE, Louisville

Surprise Move: The Monday after the draft, so-called "Black Monday" for front office personnel, it announced that Matt Russell has been relieved of duties as Director of Player Personnel. Russell thanked for his years of loyal service, handed a pink slip along with a bottle of 24 year old lowland single-malt scotch (rather than the customary gold watch because, let's face it, this is Matt Russell we're talking about). Gary Kubiak is named as Vice President of Football Operations / Director of Player Personnel. 

I like it. Well put together. Appreciate the link to the Barnwell article as well. 

Couple of my opinions: 

1. Gotta move on from Fowler. He has less value than Latimer (who is a better special teamer) and is just a bad player. Not really a huge deal obviously, but I will be disappointed if he makes the roster next year or is even competing for a spot tbh.

2. I love the positions you addressed in the draft. I am not too deep into prospects yet, but those look like great choices to me. Love Michel. I also am okay with the idea of turning #5 into more valuable draft picks with how shallow the talent on this team is. It does worry me with Elway's draft history though. He never hits in the second round, but I do like your selections...so I think I'd be happy with this turnout. It depends on how the board falls, but getting an elite prospect can be huge for a franchise. Would love a selection at #5 like Jalen Ramsey was.

3. Not sure about swapping Sanders for Richardson. I definitely think we would need a deep threat with Cousins so I guess it makes some sense there. But Sanders is definitely a better player so I would assume it would be a mutual parting of the ways thing. 

4. They love Todd Davis, for whatever reason, but do you think he would get that much money? I know he is a very good run stopper, but he doesn't have the key skills that modern LB's have speed and movement wise. That seems like a pretty large contract for me.

5. Love Nate Solder. SKOOOOOOO

Think this offseason would make a lot of people in Denver very happy 

Did someone posess AAA? Signing TWO CU players?

Pretty good mock although I don't really like signing Gilmore and drafting Gesicki. That position has been a wasteland since 2014 and could use a TE either in FA or in draft but the FO is high on Butt. Now if Green got cut I see us maybe taking two TEs since Heuerman is a JAG.

3 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Did someone posess AAA? Signing TWO CU players?

Pretty good mock although I don't really like signing Gilmore and drafting Gesicki. That position has been a wasteland since 2014 and could use a TE either in FA or in draft but the FO is high on Butt. Now if Green got cut I see us maybe taking two TEs since Heuerman is a JAG.

Green is a free agent and likely won't be returning, he doesn't have to be cut. Gesicki is a developmental prospect who is a freak of nature but also very raw. He has a Travis Kelce level ceiling. Gillmore is brought in as a cheap veteran who is a strong blocker who Kubiak knows from their time together in Baltimore. Butt figures to be the TE1 and I see Heuerman being a camp casualty. 

The Bills better be sending their 1st round pick next year as well. The trade isn't worth it if they only give up two 1st rounders to move that far up. Even if they kick in a 2nd. Denver would be better off only moving back a couple spots and still picking up Nelson. Hernandez won't even make it out of the 1st.

I like the draft, but I'm not sure how feasible it is right now.

Jackson is probably around at 21, I would agree, and I like the pick. I question whether Hernandez is there in Round 2, and same with Sony Michel, who has astronomical hype right now, and will probably end up Round 1 if he doesn't do something stupid. Not sure if I see Gallup as a 2nd rounder, but he could certainly be one. I like Derrick Nnadi a lot, and I also like Mike Gesicki a lot. I've watched every PSU game over the past 3 years (deep in PSU country) and he could be a very good option for us. I think he's going to go much higher than Round 4- I think he's probably a Round 2 or Round 3 guy.

In short, I like the players, but I don't know if their positions are realistic right now.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

There are rumors on pro sports daily that Luck will be healthy for camp and bills will look to trade into the top 5 for a qb so it's realistic. If Rosen is there at 5 it would be hard to pass him up.

Not sure I'd believe any rumors involving Luck. Clearly there is no legitimate information on Luck given the history of their updates or false updates.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I like the draft, but I'm not sure how feasible it is right now.

Jackson is probably around at 21, I would agree, and I like the pick. I question whether Hernandez is there in Round 2, and same with Sony Michel, who has astronomical hype right now, and will probably end up Round 1 if he doesn't do something stupid. Not sure if I see Gallup as a 2nd rounder, but he could certainly be one. I like Derrick Nnadi a lot, and I also like Mike Gesicki a lot. I've watched every PSU game over the past 3 years (deep in PSU country) and he could be a very good option for us. I think he's going to go much higher than Round 4- I think he's probably a Round 2 or Round 3 guy.

In short, I like the players, but I don't know if their positions are realistic right now.

I just went on what I could generally find as consensus rankings around the web. I looked at where the prospects were ranked and where our mocked picks were, considered team needs, read some scouting reports and made my picks. I'm sure there's a lot to quibble with here but, like I said, I was bored. 

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

There are rumors on pro sports daily that Luck will be healthy for camp and bills will look to trade into the top 5 for a qb so it's realistic. If Rosen is there at 5 it would be hard to pass him up.

I still think that McDaniels left the Colts in a mess - his people was signed as assistants - a new HC - no time to evaluate the draft - etc.

It makes sense for the Colts to pick the safest player on the board when they pick and that is likely Barkley.

36 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I still think that McDaniels left the Colts in a mess - his people was signed as assistants - a new HC - no time to evaluate the draft - etc.

It makes sense for the Colts to pick the safest player on the board when they pick and that is likely Barkley.

Well, Ballard is a legit GM and Mac wasn't going to have player personnel control any more than Reich is going to. I don't think Mac being Mac affects their draft too much. 

Well dang, I like this draft a lot.  Sounds like Cousins wants Denver, so it'd be cool to make it work if he's not after the biggest payday.  I love the Paul Richardson pick up, and Solder would be a welcome addition if we got a real QB in here.  

As the draft goes, I prefer we stay at 5 and lock in another elite player, whether it's Quentin Nelson, Bradley Chubb or Saquon Barkley, I'd be happy with an elite piece at 5.  With that said, can't think of a better use of Buffalo's picks.  Idk much about the CB, but we'd need one, I like Sony a lot, there's several second round RB i'd be happy with.  Same goes for OL, there are several guys who can be day one starters in that range.  As for Gallup, really hope he's a Bronco!

I haven't read up on the mid-late rounders yet, but love the direction this takes us.

Archived