Toughest Road to a Super Bowl Ever

footbull3196

For me, it's the 07 Giants followed by the 1990 Giants

Obviously you can't say enough positive things about the 07 Giants beating the 13-3 Cowboys, 13-3 Packers, and 16-0 Patriots, all on the road as underdogs

But let's not forget about the 1990 Giants beating the 11-5 Bears, the 14-2 49ers on the road (who were on the verge of a 3 peat), and the 13-3 Bills (who are considered a top 5 team that didn't win it all and were favored by 7), all with their backup QB who had no experience after 7 years in the league

2011 Giants had a very tough road against the 10-6 Falcons, 15-1 Packers, 13-3 Niners and the 13-3 Patriots. Guess they don't win Super Bowls unless they have an extremely difficult road to get there lol.

2013 Seahawks had the 11-5 Saints, 12-4 Niners and the 13-3 Broncos. 

Can't really give you a definitive answer, but here are some candidates:

90 Giants: Beat a 49ers team that was on the verge of a 3-peat and a really good Bills team that would go to 3 more SB's after that season.

97 Broncos: 13-3 Chiefs team, 12-4 Steelers team and a 13-3 Packers team that had just won the SB the year before. Chiefs and Steelers games were both on the road.

04 Patriots: Had to beat a Colts team that was breaking offensive records, a 15-1 on Steelers team on the road, and a 13-3 Eagles team that was very good.

05 Steelers: Had to beat a 14-2 Colts team that people were saying could be the best team of all time, a really good Broncos team that went 13-3, and a really good Seahawks team that also went 13-3 and had an historical rushing attack.

07 Giants: Had to beat a 13-3 Cowboys and Packers team on the road, had to beat an undefeated Patriots team in the SB.

11 Giants: Had to beat a 15-1 Packers team, a 13-3 49ers team and a 13-3 Patriots team.

12 Ravens: Had to beat a 13-3 Broncos team that had looked indestructible during the second half of the season, a Patriots team that was averaging around 35 points a game and a Jim Harbaugh led 49ers team in the SB.

Personally I would go with either the 05 Steelers, 07 Giants or 2012 Ravens - but  I can see the case for all of these teams.

9 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

2010 Packers had to go through the #3, #1 and #2 seed in the NFC, all on the road, to get to the SB to face the AFC’s #2 seed. Most difficult? Idk but it was very impressive. 

That sounds like every wild card path. Got to go deeper than seedings. For example NO this year (a 4 seed) was a lot stronger team than some top seeds in other years. Like playing Caleb Hanie in a championship game like those Packers did. 

DVOA of opponents would be a good place to start ranking these paths. It's imperfect, because teams change over a season, but it's a good start. 

2004 Pats had to go through 12-4 Colts w/ Peyton, 15-1 Steelers w/ rookie Big Ben and 13-3 Eagles w/ McNabb. Only had to go on road for the AFCC though. That might be the toughest 3 game slate, but 07 and 11 Giants definitely had the tougher paths when you factor in that they were mostly playing on the road.

5 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Can't really give you a definitive answer, but here are some candidates:

90 Giants: Beat a 49ers team that was on the verge of a 3-peat and a really good Bills team that would go to 3 more SB's after that season.

97 Broncos: 13-3 Chiefs team, 12-4 Steelers team and a 13-3 Packers team that had just won the SB the year before. Chiefs and Steelers games were both on the road.

04 Patriots: Had to beat a Colts team that was breaking offensive records, a 15-1 on Steelers team on the road, and a 13-3 Eagles team that was very good.

05 Steelers: Had to beat a 14-2 Colts team that people were saying could be the best team of all time, a really good Broncos team that went 13-3, and a really good Seahawks team that also went 13-3 and had an historical rushing attack.

07 Giants: Had to beat a 13-3 Cowboys and Packers team on the road, had to beat an undefeated Patriots team in the SB.

11 Giants: Had to beat a 15-1 Packers team, a 13-3 49ers team and a 13-3 Patriots team.

12 Ravens: Had to beat a 13-3 Broncos team that had looked indestructible during the second half of the season, a Patriots team that was averaging around 35 points a game and a Jim Harbaugh led 49ers team in the SB.

Personally I would go with either the 05 Steelers, 07 Giants or 2012 Ravens - but  I can see the case for all of these teams.

I came in to point this out but alas I was beaten. To be fair we had an easy home against the colts so ours shouldn't be the toughest ever.

12 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I came in to point this out but alas I was beaten. To be fair we had an easy home against the colts so ours shouldn't be the toughest ever.

I mean most teams on this list had an easy wild card game or didn't even play in the wild card round because they had a bye.

The 2011 Giants are maybe the only team who had a relatively tough wild card game, but the Falcons had a history of not showing up to playoff games under Mike Smith.

The 05 Steelers would've had a tough wild card game, but Carson Palmer was out of the game very early so I wouldn't count that.

The 97 Broncos, 07 Giants had pretty easy wildcard games. (Weak Buccaneer and Jaguar teams)

The 04 Patriots and 1990 Giants had a bye in the wild card round.

The '03 Panthers. Not only should they have not even been in the playoffs to begin with, but they took it a step further and beat the Cowboys, a Martz led Rams team and a Donavon McNabb/Reid team from a wild card spot.

The '10 Packers are a good mention as well.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The '03 Panthers. Not only should they have not even been in the playoffs to begin with, but they took it a step further and beat the Cowboys, a Martz led Rams team and a Donavon McNabb/Reid team from a wild card spot.

The '10 Packers are a good mention as well.

I guess the title is a little tricky in that it doesn't really specify whether it's to a SB championship or not - If we are going to throw in SB losers though then definitely would mention the 98 Falcons.

The 2010 Packers had about as easy of a road to a SB as a wild card team could hope for - the NFC that season didn't have anyone who was a world beater.

They beat a 10-6 Michael Vick Led Eagles team.

A Falcons team that consistently struggled in the postseason under Mike Smith.

A Jay Cutler led Bears team

A very good but not great Steelers team.

Compare their path to the paths of other wild card teams (05 Steelers, 07 Giants) and it's not even close.

6 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I guess the title is a little tricky in that it doesn't really specify whether it's to a SB championship or not - If we are going to throw in SB losers though then definitely would mention the 98 Falcons.

The 2010 Packers had about as easy of a road to a SB as a wild card team could hope for - the NFC that season didn't have anyone who was a world beater.

They beat a 10-6 Michael Vick Led Eagles team.

A Falcons team that consistently struggled in the postseason under Mike Smith.

A Jay Cutler led Bears team

A very good but not great Steelers team.

Compare their path to the paths of other wild card teams (05 Steelers, 07 Giants) and it's not even close.

I look at it like this with the Packers that year. The offense was obviously the mainstay of that team - headlined by Rodgers- and they faced a brutal defense during their run. 

they had to go into an experienced Philly team crowd (11th DVOA defense), go into ATL(14th DVOA) and THEN go into a division rivals home field (which division games are always tougher than others) and beat the #4 defense led by Brian Urlacher/Lovie Smith. To top things off, they going into a game against a very experienced Steelers team who was probably the most balanced team in the NFL at the time(maybe behind ONLY the Packers) and beat them. Albeit, they had the crowd on their side in that game. It was like a Packers game played at Lambeau. 

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

I look at it like this with the Packers that year. The offense was obviously the mainstay of that team - headlined by Rodgers- and they faced a brutal defense during their run. 

they had to go into an experienced Philly team crowd (11th DVOA defense), go into ATL(14th DVOA) and THEN go into a division rivals home field (which division games are always tougher than others) and beat the #4 defense led by Brian Urlacher/Lovie Smith. To top things off, they going into a game against a very experienced Steelers team who was probably the most balanced team in the NFL at the time(maybe behind ONLY the Packers) and beat them. Albeit, they had the crowd on their side in that game. It was like a Packers game played at Lambeau. 

The Packers defense was actually really, really good that year - allowing just over 14 points a game.

If you compare the teams the Packers had to face to the teams the 05 Steelers, 07 Giants, 2011 Giants or 2012 Ravens had to face, it isn't close.

Archived