Toughest Road to a Super Bowl Ever

footbull3196

Really can't argue against the 2007 Giants. They were truly a team that caught fire at the right time.

- They beat 3 out of the top 5 teams in total DVOA (NE, DAL, GB) and four out of the top 8 (TB)

- The defense beat 3 out of the top 4 in points scored (NE, DAL, GB)

- The offense beat 3 out of the top 7 in points allowed (NE, TB, GB)

- They capped it off by beating the undefeated Patriots, a team many pundits were calling the greatest team of all-time

13 hours ago, Ketchup said:

2010 Packers had to go through the #3, #1 and #2 seed in the NFC, all on the road, to get to the SB to face the AFC’s #2 seed. Most difficult? Idk but it was very impressive. 

If you factor in injuries as well as schedule, I think that 2010 Packers team had the toughest road of any team since I've been watching football. 

Without injuries, it was definitely the 2007 Giants. 

30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If you factor in injuries as well as schedule, I think that 2010 Packers team had the toughest road of any team since I've been watching football. 

Unless you skipped the 2012 season, it wasn't the toughest of this decade. A route with an injured Cutler and Caleb Hanie in the CCG round isn't the answer. 

The Colts were an easy matchup for the 12 Ravens but everyone else they played was significantly tougher than anyone the Packers played outside of Pittsburgh. And they were all tougher at the end of the season. The Broncos being red hot on both sides of the ball (the closest imitation of the record setting 13 offense and the championship 15 defense). The 49ers were also excellent on both sides of the ball with the Kaepernick train running through the league. And the Pats were the Pats. 

2010 Pittsburgh was the only opponent for the Packers on that level, being very strong on both sides of the ball. But that team wasn't as tough in the playoffs, having played close games to TWO wild card teams before losing the Super Bowl. Plus that opponent was on a neutral field with equal rest. So still not nearly as tough as going to Mile High on 6 days rest to play the 12 Broncos coming off a bye.

Depends. On pure strength of opponents the 2004 Patriots had to go through a Colts team which had the best offense since Dan Marino's legendary 1984 Dolphins, a 15-1 Steelers team that had an incredible defense and running game, and then went through the perrennial NFC contender Eagles who were the class of the NFC that year and also dominated their conference. That's the best succession of just heavy hitters. If any one of those teams one the Super Bowl they would have been regarded as all time teams. 

But I understand the rationale behind playing on the road and the extra game.

I was ready to just agree with 07 Giants until 97 Broncos were pointed out. Just beating that Packers team alone. 

Of the 1st round bye teams I think I’d go with the 09 Saints. The Vikings were awesome that year and that was a real battle to win that game and the Colts would’ve been 16-0 if Caldwell and Polian weren’t complete weenies

Archived