DJ Moore - Possible 1st round target?

paraven

DJ Moore is a straight up beast, I've poured over his cut ups and man is he special. He is the closest I've seen to Steve Smith come through the draft, matching that rare strength and explosion for his size. He's only 20 and already dominating physically, couple that with his production and ascending skill set and you have a major talent. Strong hands, body control, durability(only 1 missed game is freshman year), routes are sharp and decisive, 50/50 ability, return ability, deep speed that he even had to gear down due to poor QB talent, production with multiple QBs as well. He's an inside outside guy and a high floor high ceiling player. He's a smart player too, you can tell the game comes easy to him and he understands everything that's going on around the field.

You'd think that him being a Maryland WR reminiscent of Steve Smith would make him a lock for our 2nd round pick but the hype is already building on him and I think he'll show out at the combine. We're getting primed to miss out on him late 1st-early 2nd, like we are with every WR in the draft it seems. Guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

Is there any chance DJ Moore isn't higher on our board than other team's? The FO has to know how far drafting him would go towards reconnecting with the in state fans, and conversely how upset they could get once again if he were to go to another team and find success(Diggs).

By all appearances and the frequency of it being said and not negatively reacted to, it seems the FO understands the best course of action isn't to just reach for a WR in the 1st. Despite it being a dire need, strategy would indicate we hold off until the 2nd.

Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton, Deon Cain, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk, James Washington, DJ Moore, Equanimeous St. Brown- The consensus top guys.

Auden Tate is a possible big time riser as well.

It's inconceivable that even half of those options will gone before our second round pick. Now out of them I would only push for Ridley, Gallup, Washington, or Moore, but that doesn't mean the others couldn't offer something to our starving unit at WR. 

My dream round 1 and 2 as it stands is-

Round 1- Derwin James WILB

Round 2- DJ Moore WRF/WRS

Right now it seems like getting Moore in the second will be harder, but not impossible. Even if some pundits do have a first or borderline first round grade on him, he isn't high on their top 5s. We have a 36 pick gap between our 1st and 2nd rounds but I believe in Baltimore's luck and that DJ Moore will make it to the fabled #52.  

Can't wait for the combine.

The way Moore's stock is at the moment, it seems like trading back in the first, then trading up in the second would be the best way to find him. Some mocks still have him going in day three, but most have him as a top 50 pick, and the consensus around here seems to be he could rise even further after the Combine. That range of #20 to #40 looks likely.

But maybe a half dozen WRs blow up at the Combine, which would muddy the waters nicely. I keep seeing new names as 'sleepers' who might make big jumps. Simmie Cobbs, Marcel Ateman, Auden Tate, Deontay Burnett.

But I'd love it if the Ravens could get Moore, and also get a big bodied, Boldin-type target too. That could potentially transform the Ravens offense, finally.

I'm comparing last year's NFL site rankings, grades, and projections, to this year's for analysis and prediction. Generally they're considered the most in line with teams front office's own rankings around the league. Primarily I'm trying to pinpoint who could be available for our Day 1 and 2 draft picks. I will update as the draft process moves along and their rankings are updated.

2017 Draft- WRs taken in the 1st 52 picks (Our second round pick this year #52)

1. Corey Davis (pick 5), NFL site grade- 6.26, 2nd ranked, Projection: Round 1

2. Mike Williams (pick 7), NFL site grade- 6.29, 1st ranked, Projection: Round 1

3. John Ross (pick 9), NFL site grade- 6.19, 3rd ranked, Projection: Round 1

4. Zay Jones (pick 37), NFL site grade- 5.77, 9th ranked, Projection: Round 2

5. Curtis Samuel (pick 40), NFL site grade- 5.81, 5th ranked, Projection: Round 2

2017 Draft- WRs taken in the next 29 picks (Our first third round pick #81)

6. JuJu Smith-Schuster (pick 62), NFL site grade- 5.89, 4th ranked, Projection: Round 2

7. Cooper Kupp (pick 69), NFL site grade- 5.77, 8th ranked, Projection: Rounds 2-3

8. Taywan Taylor (pick 72), NFL site grade- 5.75, 10th ranked, Projection: Round 3

9. ArDarius Stewart (pick 79), NFL site grade- 5.79, 7th ranked, Projection: Rounds 2-3

2017 Draft- WRs taken in the next 21 picks (Our projected 3rd round comp #102)

10. Carlos Henderson (pick 82), NFL site grade- 5.55, 16th ranked, Projection: Rounds 3-4

11. Chris Godwin (pick 84), NFL site grade- 5.73, 11th ranked, Projection: Rounds 2-3

12. Kenny Golladay (pick 96), NFL site grade- 5.54, 17th ranked, Projection: Rounds 4-5

13. Chad Williams (pick 98), NFL site grade- 5.0, 30th ranked, Projection: Rounds 5-6

Top projected 2018 WRs 

Not yet ranked (Equanimeous St. Brown, DJ Moore, Auden Tate, Deontay Burnett)

These grades have changed and will continue to, it's still early in the process.

1. Calvin Ridley, NFL site grade- 6.83, Projection: Round 1

2. Deon Cain, NFL site grade- 6.01, Projection: Round 2

3. Dante Pettis, NFL site grade- 5.85, Projection: Round 2

4. Courtland Sutton, NFL site grade- 5.84, Projection: Rounds 1-2

5. Christian Kirk, NFL site grade- 5.83, Projection: Round 4

6. DJ Chark, NFL site grade- 5.78, Projection: Rounds 2-3

7. James Washington, NFL site grade- 5.76, Projection: Rounds 2-3

8. Michael Gallup, NFL site grade- 5.72, Projection: Round 2

9. Keke Coutee, NFL site grade- 5.71, Projection: Rounds 3-4

10. J'mon Moore, NFL site grade- 5.69, Projection: Rounds 3-4

11. Anthony Miller, NFL site grade- 5.68, Projection: Rounds 3-4

12. Daesean Hamilton, NFL site grade- 5.54, Projection: Rounds 6-7

13. Tre'Quan Smith, NFL site grade- 5.53, Projection: Rounds 4-5

14. Marcell Ateman, NFL site grade- 5.52, Projection: Round 4

I would bet on ourselves and put a 1st round bounty on DJ Moore, if he makes it out of the 1st round. Consensus has him as a top 40 player, an early late 1st to mid 2nd round guy. His ceiling I guess technically could be us if Ridley is gone and we're in a position where we just have to take a WR. Likely though it would be the Carolina Panthers. They unloaded Kelvin to the Bills in an effort to get faster at the position, the Steve Smith comps along with pairing him and Funchess could intrigue them. Unfortunately the Eagles at #32 could also be a danger spot, DJ played at Maryland but he's a philly kid and the Eagles could see an opportunity to pair him long term with Wentz.

His floor would be us in the 2nd round. I say if he is in that 2nd round range and gets picked up ahead of us, why not just flip that team a 1st next year for him and a 5th/6th or something? It would be betting on ourselves in that we'll perform good enough next year to make that 1st round pick a late 1st, where his value is, but I think it could be the kind of aggressive and forward thinking move this franchise needs.

1st round- Derwin James WILB

2nd round- DJ Moore WR+6th/7th round pick (1st round pick next year)

2nd round- James Washington WR

I call that a Franchise stimulus package. It's dangerous with our strong schedule next year but I say believe in the team.

I'm beginning to view James Washington as an imperfect fusion of Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin. I think he and DJ Moore are the perfect Raven receivers, and ones that could get this fan base going again.

Derwin James reminds me of Ray Lewis intangibles wise, you can't find a single person who doesn't talk about his leadership, dedication, love of the game, fiendish tape analysis, work ethic. He's the new gen leader we need in the middle of the field, an enforcer who makes everyone better, just an exceptionally rare player that immediately combats our biggest fatal defensive issues. I can't back off of him as our 1st round pick. 

Guess I am going to watch more from Moore. So far I watched the youtube clips + the cut up from his season in the video below. Here he looks more like the Pharoh Cooper than the Steve Smith. The offenses that get the ball in his hands are the ones who will really benefit. I don't see us being able to scheme properly to use him to valid a 1. round pick.

8 hours ago, Danand said:

Guess I am going to watch more from Moore. So far I watched the youtube clips + the cut up from his season in the video below. Here he looks more like the Pharoh Cooper than the Steve Smith. The offenses that get the ball in his hands are the ones who will really benefit. I don't see us being able to scheme properly to use him to valid a 1. round pick.

That’s the difference I see in Christian Kirk, who you need to scheme open, and DJ Moore. Moore was able to consistently beat his defender off the line for release without being motioned open.

Also, with as many bubble screens as Marty runs I don’t understand how you can’t see him projecting successfully within our offense. Moore essentially gives us a Ray Rice out on the wing of the offense to toast a helpless corner for YAC.

On the video I posted, DJ Moore consistently struggled to get open, and he mostly used more than 3 steps to set up the defender at LOS, which means he takes some time to actually get into his route.

I am not saying he is a bad player, I just say I don't see 1. round potential in him.

Ideally we don't take DJ Moore in the 1st round, it would be amazing to get him in the 2nd, that would the best case scenario. I don't think anyone of us is calling for him to be our 1st round pick, only that if all other options have exhausted themselves it would be fine to take him in the 1st. 

Archived