#Jaguars LT Branden Albert is retiring.

Farsendor1

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

Brandon Albert will have to pay back his signing bonus if he retires...so i don't think he's actually going to retire.

$3.4 is a lot. It might actually be too much for him to give back. 

Very unfortunate.  According to the Jaguars reporter for ESPN, TE Marcedes Lewis said he was working out with Branden Albert on Sunday and they were talking about the upcoming season.  Lewis walked into the facility this morning and was shocked to hear the news that Albert is retiring.  The reporter also mentioned that Cam Robinson would probably be starting at LT this season.  Robinson was a really good player at Alabama.  There is a lot of pressure on him to step in, if he is indeed the starter, but I think he can handle it.  

Looking forward to watching the Jaguars rise together as a team this season and have their best season under Blake Bortles thus far.

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Eh? The highest paid LT in the league is makes $13m per year, Albert was on the books for less than $9m in 2017.

He was due 8.8 million this year and 9.5 million next year.

Hopefully we give that money to A-Rob or Telvin.

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

$3.4 is a lot. It might actually be too much for him to give back. 

I'm sure he could come up with the money, but I doubt he'd actually want to part with it which might force him to come out of 'retirement'.

Since it was so sudden I'm pretty sure it's a ploy to force the jaguars to cut him or renegotiate his deal. I could be wrong but eh. 

33 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I'm sure he could come up with the money, but I doubt he'd actually want to part with it which might force him to come out of 'retirement'.

Since it was so sudden I'm pretty sure it's a ploy to force the jaguars to cut him or renegotiate his deal. I could be wrong but eh. 

Why would we cut him?

24 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Why would we cut him?

He's an aging LT that clearly doesn't want to play for the jaguars, cut him and put the cap space toward Telvin Smith or A-rod. Plus even if he gets cut you still keep your 7th rounder.

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

He quite clearly looked like someone who was ready to retire from the videos coming out of camp. Slow, stiff, and out of it.

I'm fascinated to see how this plays out. Having to cut a check for over $3 million seems like a steep price to pay when you could just mail it in entirely and force the Jags to either waste a roster spot on someone that has no interest in helping the team or cutting him and letting him keep his money. 

Like, I genuinely love the idea of him just saying screw it, showing up back at camp tomorrow, and actively and intentionally failing during every rep. I get that everyone on the roster would hate him, but it's not like he's a vet on that team. He probably has zero relationship with anyone in the organization.

So just show up and be hilariously bad. False starts, whiffs, "accidentally" tripping Fournette when he tries to run around the edge, stumbling into Bortles, maybe stand up straight at the last second and get in some throwing lanes. Force the Jags hand in the most entertaining fashion imaginable.

49 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

That isn't how the salary cap works.

No it isn't but obviously the Jaguars are going to work out extensions for one or both of them, Getting Albert off the books by cutting him frees up the cap space to get it done now. His salary isn't guaranteed from what I remember so an instant 8 mil-ish for the jaguars.

1 minute ago, OleXmad said:
52 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

That isn't how the salary cap works.

No it isn't but obviously the Jaguars are going to work out extensions for one or both of them, Getting Albert off the books by cutting him frees up the cap space to get it done now. His salary isn't guaranteed from what I remember so an instant 8 mil-ish for the jaguars.

Still not how the salary cap works. When a player retires, their salary in relation to the salary cap is treated the same as if they were cut. The team retains his rights though if he decides to return, unless they formally release him. There is zero reason for us to cut him if we believe he will unretire.

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Still not how the salary cap works. When a player retires, their salary in relation to the salary cap is treated the same as if they were cut. The team retains his rights though if he decides to return, unless they formally release him. There is zero reason for us to cut him if we believe he will unretire.

Until he officially files his retirement paperwork with the NFL he still counts against the cap. While you are 100% right on the cap part, there is plenty of reason to cut Albert now.

1. He's a distraction to the team.

2. There is literally no downside to cutting him since he has no trade value. 

3. Freeing up the cap space now. 

Archived