The Josh Rosen Hype / Rumor Train to Buffalo

The BILLievers

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

we will see in two weeks what route the bills go in free agency but to pick one sentence out of a 45 min conversation to decipher what he is thinking is silly. Mcdermott and Beane want to win plain and simple if they feel that Cousins being the highest paid qb in the league gets them to win they will do it. Keep in mind coaches last an average of 2-3 years in the league unless they continue to show their presence in the Playoffs or they are the coach of the Bengals. So I expect whatever moves the bills organization does is the way they feel is the best chance for them to win in 2018 and on. If moving up and giving up 4-5 draft picks to land their qb they better hope that every position is answered on the defense and this qb better be able to start week 1. Giving up that much draft picks they dont have the luxury of letting him sit the first year as they have far to many needs overall.

Trust me I'm all in on the Bills going after Cousins and I think that would be the best route.

Sign Cousins, draft (2) 1st rounders and (2) 2nd rounders + add 1 FA on defense and this team is a playoff team. I just don't know if they go that route + tying up 25 mil plus might not be appealing to them instead of a rookie QB wage scale.

20th overall pick + 21st overall pick + 2018 2nd round pick + 2019 1st round pick + 2019 3rd round pick

for

Josh Rosen.

I'm in. You can tell Brandon Beane is gitty at the combine, just watched his 20 minute long press conference and I just get the feeling he's not walking out of this draft without his QB.

Beane's interview this morning on WGR was great. You can definitely tell he has a different type of excitement with Josh. He confirmed that we'll be going to UCLA to visit and will likely have him come to Buffalo on a visit as well. Also mentioned he's had long talks with Josh's former teammate, now Buffalo Bill, Conor McDermott. 

36 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

20th overall pick + 21st overall pick + 2018 2nd round pick + 2019 1st round pick + 2019 3rd round pick

for

Josh Rosen.

I'm in. You can tell Brandon Beane is gitty at the combine, just watched his 20 minute long press conference and I just get the feeling he's not walking out of this draft without his QB.

I'm in till you lose next years first.

Two firsts a second and a future third is more than enough.

20 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I'm in till you lose next years first.

Two firsts a second and a future third is more than enough.

Yeah I’m all for using our assets THIS year, but i don’t really want to mess with next year.

Im still holding out hope the Broncos, and Jets make moves in free agency or through trades for Qb’s, and the Giants take Barkley and for one more run with Eli so that Rosen/Baker fall and we don’t have to pay as much.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yeah I’m all for using our assets THIS year, but i don’t really want to mess with next year.

Im still holding out hope the Broncos, and Jets make moves in free agency or through trades for Qb’s, and the Giants take Barkley and for one more run with Eli so that Rosen/Baker fall and we don’t have to pay as much.

Jets getting Cousins makes it a hell of a lot easier on us. If I'm Billy I'm looking to play some 4D chess and seeing if I can finagle a deal with Elway over Tyrod to get them out of the running for a high QB too. Then it's basically us and the Cardinals, and they don't have nearly the assets we do.

Really our biggest impediment is if the Giants fall in love with Rosen.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Jets getting Cousins makes it a hell of a lot easier on us. If I'm Billy I'm looking to play some 4D chess and seeing if I can finagle a deal with Elway over Tyrod to get them out of the running for a high QB too. Then it's basically us and the Cardinals, and they don't have nearly the assets we do.

Really our biggest impediment is if the Giants fall in love with Rosen.

I love Rosen, but the concussions scare the crap out of me.

Just now, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I love Rosen, but the concussions scare the crap out of me.

I'm not sold on his mechanics either (he's gonna need tweaking on his lower body to be an effective downfield passer) but it's clear at this point that Beane loves the kid, that this is the guy they feel strongest about. Which, okay, I'll trust this FO but man do all these QB's scare the crap out of me. Especially if we throw this kid to the wolves day 1.

18 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

As much as I want to too, there's a zero percent chance we move from 20 to 2 only by giving 20, 21 and some 2nd + 3d round picks.

The Rams/Redskins deal a couple years ago for RG3:

Redskins receive the 2nd overall pick for the 6th overall pick, 2013 1st rounder, 2014 1st rounder.

The Redskins had to give up (3) 1st rounders and their 1st rounder was the 6th overall that year, which has WAY more trade value than 20.

I could care less about giving up next years 1st if Beane/McDermott are confident he's the Bills QB of the future. We don't have much ammo next year for a trade up so I think this draft is the year.

Next year we will have approximately  80m in cap space so I could see us being big spenders draft capital wise this season and then next year between re-signing our own guys, grabbing some young talent and receiving our comp pick for Gaines/Mathews being able to manage without a 1st rounder.

2019 could look like this:

2nd round
3rd round (our own)
3rd round comp pick
4th round (our own)
4th round (from Ragland)
5th round
6th round
7th round.

In a heartbeat I would trade 21, 22, 53 and next years first for the number 2 spot. We'd still have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and two 5ths to help fill depth.

9 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

As much as I want to too, there's a zero percent chance we move from 20 to 2 only by giving 20, 21 and some 2nd + 3d round picks.

Redskins receive the 2nd overall pick for the 6th overall pick, 2013 1st rounder, 2014 1st rounder.

The Redskins had to give up (3) 1st rounders and their 1st rounder was the 6th overall that year, which has WAY more trade value than 20.

I could care less about giving up next years 1st if Beane/McDermott are confident he's the Bills QB of the future. We don't have much ammo next year for a trade up so I think this draft is the year.

I have to agree, it may even cost more, because no team wants to trade out of the top 10 with getting a boatload of picks in exchange. In fact I would rate our chances at getting either Cousins or Rosen at about 5%. I would be surprised if we could come out of the draft with either Allen or Mayfield, Jackson looks like a far more possible scenario.

People keep saying teams don't want to trade out of the top 10. I understand the number 2 pick is different but last year we traded down 17 spots from pick 10 and "only" received a 3rd and a 1st this year. 

Buffalo getting to pick 4 or 5 is really not out of the realm of possibility. 

18 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

It just all depends on the demand of a set player and what the team is willing to give up and the receiving team willing to accept. the following year Dolphins traded up from 12 to 3 and only gave up a 2nd round pick in 2013. 2016 Eagles get 2nd overall and 4th rd pick, and gave up 8th overall 3rd rd pick a 4th rd and future 1st and 2nd rd. Rams trade pick 15 to go 1st to get goff they gave up two 1st rd picks, two 2nd rd picks, and a 3rd rd pick. Titans sent back a 4th and 6th rd pick to that deal. Bills traded 2 (1st) and a 4th round pick to go from 9 to 4 to get Watkins. 

I dont agree on trading up to get a qb in anyway. I rather throw money at Cousins but my point is that if a trade were to happen there are to many variables as to who wants to make the move up and how many teams are willing to trade back. As of right now Schefter from ESPN said last night he has heard crickets from the bills on wanting to move up however both Giants and Browns (1st overall) are both looking to make deals to give up those picks. The Cardinals are said to be interested in making a move for a qb and likely see that in the draft. When time gets closer and Free agency unfolds other teams will probably be rumored to move up however from the sound of things not many teams are clamoring to move to the top 2 spots in the draft just yet, only media buzz of possibilities of teams that may move up. 

On 3/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, soflbillsfan said:

It just all depends on the demand of a set player and what the team is willing to give up and the receiving team willing to accept. the following year Dolphins traded up from 12 to 3 and only gave up a 2nd round pick in 2013. 2016 Eagles get 2nd overall and 4th rd pick, and gave up 8th overall 3rd rd pick a 4th rd and future 1st and 2nd rd. Rams trade pick 15 to go 1st to get goff they gave up two 1st rd picks, two 2nd rd picks, and a 3rd rd pick. Titans sent back a 4th and 6th rd pick to that deal. Bills traded 2 (1st) and a 4th round pick to go from 9 to 4 to get Watkins. 

I dont agree on trading up to get a qb in anyway. I rather throw money at Cousins but my point is that if a trade were to happen there are to many variables as to who wants to make the move up and how many teams are willing to trade back. As of right now Schefter from ESPN said last night he has heard crickets from the bills on wanting to move up however both Giants and Browns (1st overall) are both looking to make deals to give up those picks. The Cardinals are said to be interested in making a move for a qb and likely see that in the draft. When time gets closer and Free agency unfolds other teams will probably be rumored to move up however from the sound of things not many teams are clamoring to move to the top 2 spots in the draft just yet, only media buzz of possibilities of teams that may move up. 

Every year, the team holding the 1st and 2nd pick in the draft, say they are open to trades, but what they really mean is, if you overwhelm them with picks, then they might do a trade, but it rarely comes down to happening, because nobody is usually willing to pay the price.

No, it isn't impossible to move from 21 to say #2, but it will be very expensive. Anytime a top 5 QB is involved, teams will have to pay a huge price to move up as there is bound to be a bidding war.

As for wanting Rosen, his health issue remind people of Bradford, because he is a statue in the pocket and has had 3 very serious injuries already including 2 concussions, so I am in no way, paying a fortune to draft this guy. If Darnold goes #1 overall, I would much rather take my chances with Mayfield than Rosen.

You also have to believe both Denver and the Jets, who are both QB desperate teams are possible contenders to trade up as well. 

Archived